Home Surveillance System Questions

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
One of my spring/summer projects is to install a surveillance system comprised of PTZ cameras on the exterior of my house. I figure (4) soffit mounted cameras will cover the perimeter. I like the Reolink dome model.

I'm using a PoE switch on my home network so powering the cameras isn't an issue. However, I don't know how network the system to where any camera can be viewed live from an app on my phone (with PTZ function), and every camera records to my server. Is a dedicated NVR required or is there 3rd party software available that eliminates the need for one? If a NVR is required, can the storage be mapped to a drive in the server? Seems pointless having to add a HDD to the NVR when I have plenty of storage already available on the same network. I'm looking to achieve all this without any subscription service.

Anyone do something similar and have advise?

R1Lello

Established Member
Can't help you with the ptz side of it but I see all my cameras via my phone using Ivms app.
All seven hooked up to a 2TB NVR.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I bought 5 Reolink cameras a few months ago. So far installed two of them. It's a pain in the ass fishing the cable through the soffit mostly because you cant reach the corners or right above the suffit when you're in the attic because the roof and ceiling joists come together making it very tight. I mounted the NVR in the closet. Had an electrician make me an outlet to power the NVR. Cut an extra hole above the outlet close to the ceiling to fish the Cat5 cables through. Mounted the NVR vertically on the wall. I still need to run a Cat5 to my wifi modem and an hdmi to my TV. You have to run a cable to the modem in order to be able to view on your phone and then download their app. There are no subscription fees. Their small NVR handles 8 cameras and its either 1 or 2TB.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not concerned with physically fishing the wires, making connections, and mounting equipment - I've already hardwired the house so I'm no novice. I'm more concerned with the software side of accessing the cameras remotely, and recording video to my server. The NVR (if necessary) would be added to centralized with the rest of my equipment.

0124190727.jpg

Blown 89

Established Member
Ha. I have that same case running my server. Why not just use a system with a DVR? I have a DVR system and log in with their app. I figure if there's a reason to pull up footage I'll know at that moment and can back it up then.

Ubiquiti has a surveillance setup....I've never looked into it but it might be easy to integrate into your existing hardware.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not against using a setup like Reolink with the NVR, since it probably makes for a less complicated install. I'd just like the ability to backup the recordings to my server.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Lemme give you guys a scenario.

Someone comes up to your property while you're not home. They are wearing a hat and maybe something across their face. First thing they do is find your outside electric service panel and trip the main breaker. Even if it's locked that won't stop them if armed with bolt cutters. What good are your cameras going to do? Most electric panels are outside per fire code nowadays. If you have a battery UPS most of those only last 15 minutes before your equipment goes into shutdown mode right?

I have wanted to pick up a few cameras but after thinking all this thru is it really going to do anything if a burglar really wants in? With their faces covered up the footage will almost be useless in finding the perp. Of course you may catch the stupid perps and maybe that's just it. Most aren't that smart. LOL.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Someone comes up to your property while you're not home. They are wearing a hat and maybe something across their face. First thing they do is find your outside electric service panel and trip the main breaker. Even if it's locked that won't stop them if armed with bolt cutters. What good are your cameras going to do? Most electric panels are outside per fire code nowadays. If you have a battery UPS most of those only last 15 minutes before your equipment goes into shutdown mode right?

I have wanted to pick up a few cameras but after thinking all this thru is it really going to do anything if a burglar really wants in? With their faces covered up the footage will almost be useless in finding the perp. Of course you may catch the stupid perps and maybe that's just it. Most aren't that smart. LOL.

Smart perps aren't breaking in to residential houses. lol

jrandy

Established Member

While my camera setup is shit compared to most, I've always taken the 'it's better than all my neighbors so break into their house' approach.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
While my camera setup is shit compared to most, I've always taken the 'it's better than all my neighbors so break into their house' approach.
AKA
"I don't have to outrun the bear...
I just have to outrun you!"

I've put up a ton of dahua IP cameras and NVR's at multiple sites for work. Usually about $180 a camera for a 4mp zoom. It's a bit more for the 6mp. There is a new 6mp zoom camera that has a built in mic, it works really well.
I haven't dealt with PTZ, usually I can just get more cameras and cover all the angles for less money than buying a PTZ camera.
Any outdoor cameras need a good light, no matter how good the IR is, a motion floodlamp works much better.

At home everything wireless, with batteries that last 3-6 months... They are much smaller and blend with the house better but are still visible.

Last edited:

roadracer247

Established Member

First off, if someone is truly dedicated to doing something, not much will stop them. And you’ll ALWAYS be able to find a hypothetical situation where the “bad guys win.” As part of my job, we break into homes as well. And we always find a way to get in. Of course, we do it for things like well being checks and various other safety/emergency situations...

Most of the criminals I’ve come in contact with (working in public safety for the past ~16 years between the Bay Area and Los Angeles) are going for the easy score. If they see a house that’s secure & has cameras up; for the most part, they’re going to move along to an easier target. It also doesn’t hurt to have a big dog. For example, our Belgian Malinois is always on alert. And good luck to whoever challenges him.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. Take it as you will... :)

earico

Established Member
First off, if someone is truly dedicated to doing something, not much will stop them. And you’ll ALWAYS be able to find a hypothetical situation where the “bad guys win.” As part of my job, we break into homes as well. And we always find a way to get in. Of course, we do it for things like well being checks and various other safety/emergency situations...

Most of the criminals I’ve come in contact with (working in public safety for the past ~16 years between the Bay Area and Los Angeles) are going for the easy score. If they see a house that’s secure & has cameras up; for the most part, they’re going to move along to an easier target. It also doesn’t hurt to have a big dog. For example, our Belgian Malinois is always on alert. And good luck to whoever challenges him.

Anyway, that’s my two cents. Take it as you will... :)

Then you might as well save the money and mount dummy cameras to run off the dummy thieves.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member

Morons breaking into homes in Denver get caught ALL THE TIME by Nest cams or the equivalent. Exactly zero of them have had even a hat or sunglasses on. Faces covered up? Yeah, that's not an obviously suspicious behavior outside of being in a blizzard. LOL. I don't know where you are in Texas but do you have a lot of blizzards or other weather conditions that prompt people to wear balaclavas and carry around bolt cutters?

This is like being worried that the team from Heat is going to rob your house so you don't bother getting an alarm on the front door.

earico

Established Member
Morons breaking into homes in Denver get caught ALL THE TIME by Nest cams or the equivalent. Exactly zero of them have had even a hat or sunglasses on. Faces covered up? Yeah, that's not an obviously suspicious behavior outside of being in a blizzard. LOL. I don't know where you are in Texas but do you have a lot of blizzards or other weather conditions that prompt people to wear balaclavas and carry around bolt cutters?

This is like being worried that the team from Heat is going to rob your house so you don't bother getting an alarm on the front door.

You really think someone is watching your neighborhood all day long? Takes 2 seconds to slip a mask or pantyhose over your face and a hat. Can be done before exiting the getaway vehicle parked in the driveway. Decent thieves hit when no one is around to see....like when you're at work. Who's going to report this suspicious behavior when everyone on your street is at work?

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
You really think someone is watching your neighborhood all day long? Takes 2 seconds to slip a mask or pantyhose over your face and a hat. Can be done before exiting the getaway vehicle parked in the driveway. Decent thieves hit when no one is around to see....like when you're at work. Who's going to report this suspicious behavior when everyone on your street is at work?

I have nosey neighbors and several of us have cameras that record in HD the entire neighborhood. Again, DPD has shown videos of dozens of bozos getting recorded B&E with no masks, face coverings, hats, sunglasses, etc. I can see 10 cameras on the street from my bedroom window.

Also, my wife and 4 neighbors are stay at home mom's. 3 additional neighbors are retired. Literally the other side of my alley is 6 businesses, all have multiple cameras in the alley.

And any fool dumb enough to B&E when my wife is home will take a few shots from a G19 to the dome. My wife CCW 100% of time, trains frequently, and is a great shot.

Users who are viewing this thread