Home stereo / theatre recommendations

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
.... you need an 80" bruh.... :D :D :D

@_Snake_ My old roomate was an audiophile. Recorded, mixed and mastered his bands stuff. pretty good ear for sound. Swore up and down that Onkyo made the best receivers. Always loved listening to his system. Really played vinyl well too. Perhaps they have changed a bit but give em a look.

quad

Established Member
Klipsch speakers are good. Definitive are also good. I have these Definitive Incline speakers hooked up to my computer. I don't play them full blast - don't want to bother the neighbors. If I had a bunker theater maybe. Not really interested in very loud setups though - I want to keep my hearing!

Definitive also has more expensive systems for home theaters - but above your budget.

Definitive_Technology_Incline_Box.jpg

_Snake_

Established Member

@_Snake_ My old roomate was an audiophile. Recorded, mixed and mastered his bands stuff. pretty good ear for sound. Swore up and down that Onkyo made the best receivers. Always loved listening to his system. Really played vinyl well too. Perhaps they have changed a bit but give em a look.

I like the way you guys think. I’m replacing a 15 year old Onkyo set up.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I had this exact same budget when I finished my bonus room. I ended up with the below list of speakers after lots of discussion on AVSForums and various manufacturers. In short, I couldn’t be happier with the output/quality of this and my Samsung 82” (not included in speaker budget). In fact, my first movie destroyed a brand new LED bulb in one of my dormers.

Good luck in your decision.

FOCAL Sib 5" for my F/C/R
PSA V1510DF sub
Yamaha Receiver (Costco, TSR-7850)

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Replacing my 10 year old Onkyo receiver, ( TX-SR876 ), with a Onkyo ( TX-RZ830 ).
Got a e-mail offer from Onkyo that was too good to be true, but was.....$ 499.00 !
Sometimes you just get lucky..

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
If you were in the market for a new home stereo / theatre system (minus the TV) and had a $2-3k budget, what would you buy?

I would first have to decide what I wanted. Do I want a stereo system or a theater system? To me, they are two different things.

However, most in here are suggesting using a theater system as a multi-purpose option. I guess that's fine, provided the AV receiver can turn off individual/paired speakers to allow for 2-channel stereo listening.

My primary focus was on a stereo system. A theater system was secondary, and as such, the components needed to be small and unobtrusive. Because of this, I have a Bose Lifestyle V20. I doesn't compete for floor space or visual attention.

A lot of people have nothing good to say about Bose systems, yet, I wonder how many of those actually owned one or just regurgitate what they read in some review. Are there better options? Of course. Are they pricey? Yes. Just like with any other system, it needs to be set-up properly. Speaker placement is a big deal. Initial tuning with Audyssey or ADAPTiQ is a must. Speaker volume and bass management can and should be adjusted to personal preference. The Bose is more than adequate for watching TV and the occasional movie.

So, what is your primary focus? Stereo or Home Theater? Both?

Coiled03

Established Member
However, most in here are suggesting using a theater system as a multi-purpose option. I guess that's fine, provided the AV receiver can turn off individual/paired speakers to allow for 2-channel stereo listening.

Any A/V receiver worth a shit has that functionality, now. Replicating dialogue, and movie sounds accurately is more difficult, IMHO, than just pure music. Thus, it makes sense to build your system with the ability to deal with theater requirements, and also use it as a music listening system, rather than vice versa.

A lot of people have nothing good to say about Bose systems, yet, I wonder how many of those actually owned one or just regurgitate what they read in some review.

Have you ever seen an RTA analysis of a Bose system? If you had, you'd know why they have the unfavorable reputation.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

I can get an 85" Sony for $4400, but the old lady would shoot me.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Any A/V receiver worth a shit has that functionality, now. Replicating dialogue, and movie sounds accurately is more difficult, IMHO, than just pure music. Thus, it makes sense to build your system with the ability to deal with theater requirements, and also use it as a music listening system, rather than vice versa.

That's good to know. It will make creating a system within the budget much easier.

[/QUOTE]
Have you ever seen an RTA analysis of a Bose system? If you had, you'd know why they have the unfavorable reputation.[/QUOTE]

No, I haven't. Even if I did, I wouldn't know how to interpret it. I only know what I like and don't like.

Your question has me thinking. People have home theater systems to replicate the movie theater experience. I wonder what a RTA in the theater would reveal. Is it quality sound or a quantity of sound?

Last edited:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned:

Buy your speakers used. Nothing like a good set of well worn speakers. Like wine they only get better with age. Save more than 75% on halo level speakers. Not much legitimate development in speaker tech in last few decades.

Buy your receiver factory refurbished and buy the extended warranty. Save 50% and get the best receiver you can.

Buy your TV new. Get the biggest and best you can swing. Too many technology advancement in display tech to not get the latest greatest.

My setup is used Def Tech BP2000's, CLR3000 center, BP2X rear. Receiver is refurb'd Denon AVR 7200. TV is, wait for it..., Samsung Plasma. I like the fluidity of the Plasma display. Although the brightness and contrast capabilities of newer OLED, and the like, TVs are making me get itchy.

Of course the record player is a Music Hall MMF5.3SE with the Ortofon Bronze cartridge. Heavenly tunes...

As others have said; it is extremely difficult to find a good balance between home theater duties and proper 2 channel music listening. You have to know your receiver and speaker set up. And yes, I make changes to my receiver configuration when switching between vinyl and some nasty digital signal. Everything has it's own qualities that you have to find and exploit.

_Snake_

Established Member
I would first have to decide what I wanted. Do I want a stereo system or a theater system? To me, they are two different things.

My primary focus was on a stereo system. A theater system was secondary, and as such, the components needed to be small and unobtrusive. Because of this, I have a Bose Lifestyle V20. I doesn't compete for floor space or visual attention.

A lot of people have nothing good to say about Bose systems, yet, I wonder how many of those actually owned one or just regurgitate what they read in some review. Are there better options? Of course. Are they pricey? Yes. Just like with any other system, it needs to be set-up properly. Speaker placement is a big deal. Initial tuning with Audyssey or ADAPTiQ is a must. Speaker volume and bass management can and should be adjusted to personal preference. The Bose is more than adequate for watching TV and the occasional movie.

So, what is your primary focus? Stereo or Home Theater? Both?

Primarily stereo. Probably 85% of the time will be listening to music.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Primarily stereo. Probably 85% of the time will be listening to music.

Well.......I would focus my attention on creating the best 2-channel system within/a little over my budget. The most important part is the speaker. Look for a AV receiver that can switch between surround and 2-channel stereo. Get a 2-channel amp, preferably over 200w/channel. Next would be a nice powered sub that is sealed. The receiver and amp can be on the cheaper side, but you want to spend most of your money on the speakers and sub.

Since you say that you'll be listening to music 85% of the time, you can add additional speakers as money allows. In the mean time, you can watch movies in 2-channel with the sub. It will still be a great improvement over the TV speakers or a lot of soundbars.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned:

Buy your speakers used. Nothing like a good set of well worn speakers. Like wine they only get better with age. Save more than 75% on halo level speakers. Not much legitimate development in speaker tech in last few decades.

Buy your receiver factory refurbished and buy the extended warranty. Save 50% and get the best receiver you can.

Buy your TV new. Get the biggest and best you can swing. Too many technology advancement in display tech to not get the latest greatest.

My setup is used Def Tech BP2000's, CLR3000 center, BP2X rear. Receiver is refurb'd Denon AVR 7200. TV is, wait for it..., Samsung Plasma. I like the fluidity of the Plasma display. Although the brightness and contrast capabilities of newer OLED, and the like, TVs are making me get itchy.

Of course the record player is a Music Hall MMF5.3SE with the Ortofon Bronze cartridge. Heavenly tunes...

As others have said; it is extremely difficult to find a good balance between home theater duties and proper 2 channel music listening. You have to know your receiver and speaker set up. And yes, I make changes to my receiver configuration when switching between vinyl and some nasty digital signal. Everything has it's own qualities that you have to find and exploit.

Having come from a long line of plasmas, the last one being a Panasonic 65vt60, and now having an LG OLED77C8, I say scratch that itch.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Here is a quick idea for a set-up:

Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V385BL) $279.99
145W/channel

SVS SB-2000 500W sub $699.98

SVS Prime Pinnacle speakers $1,599.98(pr)

Total cost $ 2,579.95 before taxes

These are new prices via Best Buy.

I don't have any of these specific products. I have owned a Yamaha receiver and liked it a lot. I do have SVS products, a pair of SVS SB-4000's, that are awesome.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I have to admit I didn’t realize there was as much of a difference between home theatres and stereos as there is, and I’m more focused on music than movies. To that end, I’m willing to sacrifice some of the theatre wow factor to get better quality sound out of the music.

My current thought is to spend the money on a receiver and two tower speakers, then add a center channel and two surround speakers at a later date.

Thoughts?

Coiled03

Established Member
I have to admit I didn’t realize there was as much of a difference between home theatres and stereos as there is, and I’m more focused on music than movies. To that end, I’m willing to sacrifice some of the theatre wow factor to get better quality sound out of the music.

My current thought is to spend the money on a receiver and two tower speakers, then add a center channel and two surround speakers at a later date.

Thoughts?

If you're focused on listening to music, that's a good plan.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member

Thoughts?

That's a great plan, man. You won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread