Home security cameras

96dreamer

Established Member
Had someone go through my truck last night around 1 am. Dogs were going crazy and I don't typically keep anything in my cars so all the shitheads got away with was a Bluetooth fm transmitter and charging cable.

This got my wife on me about getting security cameras that I had not very seriously looked at in the past. I was looking at this system on amazon Model # RLK8-410B4-5MP

I would probably do the 4 cameras included in the system outside and add one more for in the garage. Don't think I want to pay the premium for a 4k system and my house is relatively small so a 8 channel receiver should be more than enough.

Looking for some feedback on this system or recommendations on others.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
link/photo isn't showing for me

we've had a lot of problems with that in our general area and the problem seems to be that most cameras don't have a good enough picture at night to get a positive ID. You get a rough idea of who it was but it's typically not good enough to hold up in court if they don't find them in possession of your stolen items. I've also very rarely seen any good enough to capture a license plate.

If you do go with cameras the area needs to be well lit and they need to be mounted relatively low, it's nearly impossible to ID someone from a top down view - especially with a hoodie or hat

96dreamer

Established Member
Added the model number to the op. The way my driveway is sloped towards the house I think it would be advantageous to getting a better shot of anyone coming towards the house. I don't expect to get a positive id on someone or be able to read a plate but anything is better than nothing. It would also be helpful in the event they got into the garage and made off with any tools for insurance reasons. They could easily make off with a few grand in stuff if they knew what they were looking for.

Plus just having them will make the wife a lot less paranoid which is a win in my book.

roadracer247

Established Member
Do you have motion activated lights around your house? We had something similar happen in our neighborhood, but they left our place alone. I think it had to do with the lights. Because they only hit the homes w/o lights...

96dreamer

Established Member
I have them in the backyard but not the driveway. I have two lights on either side of the garage door that will be swapped out for motion lights soon

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
They sell special bulbs that have sensors built into them that pick up movement, even through glass. They work really well... I have them around the house in spots where I don't have floodlights. My driveway and south side of the house has floodlights though and when they get triggered it lights up like it was waiting for a 737 on final to land...
Can't paste a link to amazon... here is their title....
"Motion Sensor Light Bulb 9W Dusk to Dawn Light Bulbs E26 Base Indoor Sensor Night Lights Soft White 2700K Outdoor Radar Motion Sensor Light Bulb Auto On/Off by LUXON"

CV355

_
Established Member
Check Slickdeals- they usually have some crazy discount posted for security systems.

I just use a trailcam facing our driveway. It takes amazingly good pictures. Managed to catch pictures of missed visitors, snooping neighbors, potential porch pirates (left garbage boxes on our porch around Christmas), and our neighbor's cat crapping on our porch.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
For lighting I use an atomic clock switch. I have 5 dual bulb wall sconces on the front of my house. I just put led bulbs in them and have them automatically come on and sunset and turn off at sunrise everyday. Good thing about this switch is you enter in your longitude and latitude and it will adjust sunset and sunrise daily as the seasons change. Since I use leds the power cost isn't that much.

Leviton VPT24-1PZ
VPT24-1PZ - Vizia+ 24 Hour Timer with Astronomic Clock, Backlit LCD Display, LED Locator in White - Leviton

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I have this.
No sound or able to talk through it, but it does record decent enough. I would have went with a higher end unit, but the deal was cheap and it does the job.

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
I have amcrest 720p 8 channel with 4 cameras at my house. It’s a decent system, think I paid around 240 3 years ago. I’ve had two cameras go out, about $25 a piece to replace them. My parents have night owl at their home and they seem to like it. The OS seems nicer than amcrest.

bigmoose

Established Member
Go read up on ipcamtalk. Identify what you are looking to get out of the system. Low cost/quality systems basically only tell you what you already know, "someone" stole your stuff, so what are they really doing for you. Any camera can get a good day time image, it's night where you want performance if you care to identify anyone.

Read up on Dahua 2MP(1080p) starlight IP cams. They have excellent night performance. They out perform all 4k cameras at night. Cost about $170/ea plus an NVR.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Go read up on ipcamtalk. Identify what you are looking to get out of the system. Low cost/quality systems basically only tell you what you already know, "someone" stole your stuff, so what are they really doing for you. Any camera can get a good day time image, it's night where you want performance if you care to identify anyone.

Read up on Dahua 2MP(1080p) starlight IP cams. They have excellent night performance. They out perform all 4k cameras at night. Cost about $170/ea plus an NVR.
I've got the latest 6mp zoom camera of theirs with a Mic in it, waiting for some free time to mount it in the parking lot at work.
They are pricey but I have put up 4mp/6mp dahua zooms in 6-7 different stores, they definitely are worth it in a retail environment, the detail is stunning. They even have a built in defrost/defog mode when you mount them outside using the ir blaster to heat the outside lens. They still do best with outside lights.

View attachment 1557785

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
be careful with what you get. MOST camera systems anymore require you to put stuff you want to watch later in the Cloud. a goodly share of them have been hacked and video stolen and posted to the web.

rborden

Established Member
They sell special bulbs that have sensors built into them that pick up movement, even through glass. They work really well... I have them around the house in spots where I don't have floodlights. My driveway and south side of the house has floodlights though and when they get triggered it lights up like it was waiting for a 737 on final to land...
Can't paste a link to amazon... here is their title....
"Motion Sensor Light Bulb 9W Dusk to Dawn Light Bulbs E26 Base Indoor Sensor Night Lights Soft White 2700K Outdoor Radar Motion Sensor Light Bulb Auto On/Off by LUXON"

get the 5000K instead of the 2700K. 5000K is the Daylight (real bright white). That 2700K is way too yellow and enhances shadows.

Machdup1

Established Member
Just get the ring doorbell and add a ring camera with flood lights.

colin450

Established Member
Just get the ring doorbell and add a ring camera with flood lights.

I have the Ring floodlight camera in my backyard and I'm going to add the doorbell camera to the front. It does what I need/want it to do.

madscotsman

Established Member
I have a Ring stick-up cam on my front porch and one over my rear sliding door. They are good ONLY IF your WiFi is strong and consistent. I have a WiFi hotspot downstairs dedicated to them and there are still times when I cannot connect to the cameras through their app, or the image is black and white because of the slow internet speed, and also times when it alerts me waaay after a person has come to the front door. Many times I connect to the camera when it alerts me that someone is at the door and all I see is the FEDEX or UPS guy/gal getting into their truck at the street and driving away. You only have to charge them about 1x a month unless you have a solar panel for them which I have not tried. Also Ring will replace them for free if someone was stupid enough to steal one.

_Snake_

Established Member
be careful with what you get. MOST camera systems anymore require you to put stuff you want to watch later in the Cloud. a goodly share of them have been hacked and video stolen and posted to the web.

Any recommendations on full set-ups?

I’m looking for a high quality system that will send alerts to my phone but minimizes the risk of being hacked.

Users who are viewing this thread