Home Humidifiers

BlackOutUT

Established Member

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
We have a whole-house humidifier connected to our furnace.
We have had it for at least 5 years with no issues.
The only maintenance is replacing the evaporator pad annually.

GeneralAire Model 1042LH Legacy Humidifier
1042LH_LR_5144.jpg

Sears also makes some good humidifiers if you need something portable.
The Kenmore units are huge, but they do the job, and you can roll them from room to room on the casters.

Kenmore®/MD 53 Litre Digital Console Humidifier
642_29614_P.jpg

Last edited:

BlackOutUT

Established Member
thanks for the reply. I would love to have a connected unit, but since I'm in an apartment I just don't think that would work. I haven't seen much about the Kenmores, I might just end up going to sears and picking one up.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
thanks for the reply. I would love to have a connected unit, but since I'm in an apartment I just don't think that would work. I haven't seen much about the Kenmores, I might just end up going to sears and picking one up.

The large kenmore units are awesome, read the reviews.
We still have the one we used prior to getting our whole-home unit.
Also, watch for sales as Sears has some pretty good deals.

wht93gted

Established Member
I have a portable air-o-swiss one. I only use it in the bedroom though, for sleeping.
It's pretty awesome. It has a "Sleep" button, that automatically sets warm mist, how long, and what % humidity to keep it at.

I just fill it up, hit the sleep button, and go to bed.

I once made the mistake of just turning it on HIGH and going to bed; I woke up about 3am in a tropical rain forest. My sheets were damp, the windows were dripping with moisture, it was just a mess.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I actually run three of them in my house. A large 5 gallon evaporative one downstairs, a ultrasonic one in my sons room, and another evaporative one in my bedroom. I try to keep the humidity around 45% and it definitely eliminates static electricity in the house.
For those that have the whole house humidifiers installed - so it only runs while the furnace is running, is that enough to keep a good level? Do you monitor your levels? I've been considering doing this mod because I'm about tired of hauling water... sometimes up to 8 gallons a day.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
im looking for suggestions for whole home humidifiers, what do you folks have?

sorry for the threadjack, but you can get portable humidifiers at your orange or blue store, just read reviews before you buy

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
For those that have the whole house humidifiers installed - so it only runs while the furnace is running, is that enough to keep a good level? Do you monitor your levels?

Yes, every time the furnace kicks in, the solenoid turns on (connected to water line) and soaks the internal evaporator pad.
The furnace air is blown through the evaporator pad, and carried through-out the home.
You can control the amount of humidity via the humidistat which should come with the humidifier.

I monitor ours, and it's always a consistent 45% relative humidity.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
The Kenmore one is made by Essick and is the one I have. Several people I know have the same one with great results. I have a 2200 square foot home and does a great job. One thing I have noticed - not all bacterial/static additives are the same. I have much better results with Golden Solutions than any others. The wick does not load up with crusty gunk no where near as fast. I keep mine at 45 percent.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
Well apparently they don't sell these as much here as they do elsewhere in the country. Went to Lowes home Depot and sears with no luck

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

jason6488

Established Member
unless you have makeup air coming in from the outside, with a small apartment boiling a pot of water is a lot cheaper and easier. Static electricity occurs when relative humidity drops below 35%. if your apartment is an easy 1000sq ft with 10ft ceilings you have 10k cubic feet. you need approximately 3 grains of water per cubic foot @ 72 degrees to maintain a rough 40% relative humidity. I didnt look where you live but im guessing its up north, where moisture in the air can easily drop below .5 grains per cubic foot. sooooooo you need 30,000 grains of water in the air to make the relative humidity @ 72ish be about 40%. there are 7000 grains per pound (those of you into guns probably know that) so you need roughly 4 pounds of water in the air. 1 gallon is about 8 pounds, set a pot on the stove with a whole gallon in it and set the heat to low. youll want to set the heat low enough so you only have to fill the pot once a day or so. if you have lots of rooms this wont work as well but as long as its an efficiency you'll save plenty of bucks.

87hatchy

Established Member
You're already on Amazon....when you search for humidifier's just sort by average customer reviews. Look at this one:

Amazon.com: Crane Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with 2.3 Gallon output per day: Home & Kitchen

Over 4,000 reviews, a #1 best seller, and has a solid 4/5 stars. There is NO WAY you can go wrong with that with all of those reviews. Dont need to think much into it, just use other peoples experiences. That's what I love about Amazon. :beer:

Yes, it looks like a gay raindrop, but it will get the job done!

Last edited:

BlackOutUT

Established Member
You're already on Amazon....when you search for humidifier's just sort by average customer reviews. Look at this one:

Amazon.com: Crane Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with 2.3 Gallon output per day: Home & Kitchen

Over 4,000 reviews, a #1 best seller, and has a solid 4/5 stars. There is NO WAY you can go wrong with that with all of those reviews. Dont need to think much into it, just use other peoples experiences. That's what I love about Amazon. :beer:

Yes I saw that one and also love amazon. But that one is for a single room. I was looking at whole home humidifiers. In that category the reviews are kind of all over the place.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member

That's what I use in my bedroom. Works well, pretty darn quiet too. House is 2300sqft and would like to get a whole home unit next fall/winter.

BlackOutUT

Established Member
My apartment is only maybe 1400 Sqft and here in TX it won't be long until the humidity is back up. Hmm maybe I'll just go with a small one for now

Users who are viewing this thread