Home heating options/opinions

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
So my oil fired steam boiler crapped out and I need something new whether it be a replacement oil boiler, convert to natural gas or what I have seriously been considering, electric baseboard. Now I know electric is the most epensive monthly cost but is the cheapest initial cost for installation especially so since I would do most of it myself.
Is anyone here in a cold weather climate running electric heat and if so, just how expensive is it to run and is it possible to manage it so it would not cost anymore or close to running oil or gas?

Thanks.

ff500

Established Member
I had electric heat in my first home, electric heat is more effecient than oil or gas and they do make an electric baseboard heat that is a gel and utilizes less electricity but it can also be expensive.
Do you have gas in your home? Nstar may have a program if you convert from oil to gas, they'll give you the furnace for free, you pay for the install. I was just in Stoughton last night I will be doing a job on Prospect St, if you'd like I can swing by your house and give you my opinion on the electric heat, I am an Electrical Contractor.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
It all has to do with coefficient of performance ( C.O.P.), turning power into BTUs. Straight electric resistance heat has a COP of 1:1, 1 watt consumed=3.41 BTUs, not so good. Move up the scale to a air to air heat pump, 13 SEER let's say, the COP jumps to 2.5:1, roughly 8.5 BTUs per watt consumed. Jump again to Geothermal heat pump, 2 stage 27 SEER, the COP increases to 4.5:1 or 15.34 BTUs per watt consumed. The more efficient the system the more costly the installation, there is a pay back period how ever.

The problem with gas and oil fired equipment is converting wattage consumption over to fossil fuel efficiency consumption, AFUE. One gallon of #2 home heating oil will produce 140,000 BTU of heat. Let's not forget, even the best running oil fired equipment losses 15% of the heat up the flue leaving a not so good AFUE rating of 85%. What does 1 gallon of heating oil cost? How much would it cost to reinstall a new oil fired steam boiler? These things need to be considered.

Natural gas and propane, if fired in a condensing furnace will have AFUE ratings in the high 90's, very efficient. One pound of Propane yields 104,000 BTUs, but with the installation of a dual heat exchanger forced air furnace you only loose 5% up the flue, not bad. What does a pound of propane cost?

The bottom line is you need to have a load calculation performed to determine how many BTUs of heat energy a hour it takes to keep it heated at a specific set point temperature. General rule of thumb is 12,000 BTUs for every 400-450 square foot in your home, you can do the math. Once you figure out your capacity then you can do some consumption conversion, either COP Vs. Kilowatt rates or AFUE, less flue losses, Vs. gallons or pounds of fuel consumed. Don't forget fossil fuel furnaces and boilers consume electricity as well.

In short, if you have ducting through out your house, a nice 2 stage air to air heat pump with a high efficiency gas furnace back up is a great system (dual fuel). Not to mention, uncle Sam is offering tax credits for any system over 14 SEER. I'm not sure what your budget is, you might be in for sticker shock, but your fuel bills will be minuscule compared to electric base board through out the house.

Call your local HVAC contractor for more info, make sure he's licenced.

Maryland State Master HVACR 01-18062

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
It all has to do with coefficient of performance ( C.O.P.), turning power into BTUs. Straight electric resistance heat has a COP of 1:1, 1 watt consumed=3.41 BTUs, not so good. Move up the scale to a air to air heat pump, 13 SEER let's say, the COP jumps to 2.5:1, roughly 8.5 BTUs per watt consumed. Jump again to Geothermal heat pump, 2 stage 27 SEER, the COP increases to 4.5:1 or 15.34 BTUs per watt consumed. The more efficient the system the more costly the installation, there is a pay back period how ever.

The problem with gas and oil fired equipment is converting wattage consumption over to fossil fuel efficiency consumption, AFUE. One gallon of #2 home heating oil will produce 140,000 BTU of heat. Let's not forget, even the best running oil fired equipment losses 15% of the heat up the flue leaving a not so good AFUE rating of 85%. What does 1 gallon of heating oil cost? How much would it cost to reinstall a new oil fired steam boiler? These things need to be considered.

Natural gas and propane, if fired in a condensing furnace will have AFUE ratings in the high 90's, very efficient. One pound of Propane yields 104,000 BTUs, but with the installation of a dual heat exchanger forced air furnace you only loose 5% up the flue, not bad. What does a pound of propane cost?

The bottom line is you need to have a load calculation performed to determine how many BTUs of heat energy a hour it takes to keep it heated at a specific set point temperature. General rule of thumb is 12,000 BTUs for every 400-450 square foot in your home, you can do the math. Once you figure out your capacity then you can do some consumption conversion, either COP Vs. Kilowatt rates or AFUE, less flue losses, Vs. gallons or pounds of fuel consumed. Don't forget fossil fuel furnaces and boilers consume electricity as well.

In short, if you have ducting through out your house, a nice 2 stage air to air heat pump with a high efficiency gas furnace back up is a great system (dual fuel). Not to mention, uncle Sam is offering tax credits for any system over 14 SEER. I'm not sure what your budget is, you might be in for sticker shock, but your fuel bills will be minuscule compared to electric base board through out the house.

Call your local HVAC contractor for more info, make sure he's licenced.

Maryland State Master HVACR 01-18062

Do you have the ability to evaluate this, or know someone in my area, Laurel?

Thanks!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Do you have the ability to evaluate this, or know someone in my area, Laurel?

Thanks!

Since I opperate on the Eastern Shore, Laruel is to far away. Call Bob Chason @ Chason Service Engineers, they're out of Timonium. I don't have their phone#, they're in the phone book. Good luck!

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Hot water heat is very efficient and it sounds like you already have most of the infrastructure in place.

You might be able to replace your oil boiler with a gas or electric one.

Users who are viewing this thread