Holy Anti-Rattle clips, Batman!

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Not sure if any of you guys have ever experienced this...or a problem with these....but let me just tell you....these little clips can cause a hell of a ruckus (clanking/rattling/crunching) if they arent installed, or if they happen to break off or something. Especially if you are going over bumps/bumpy roads.

So, this past friday, I had ALL of my brake pads replaced on the cobra, as it was getting to be about that time. The same guy that has done my past 3 brake jobs, did this one as well. Apparently though, this time around, he forgot to install the anti-rattle clips. So yesterday, while i was out and about in the cobra, I hear an awful clanking/crunching/rattling coming from my front drivers wheel. These noises were even louder when going over any bumps, or rough roads. It didnt sound good at all, and it had me worried. I was thinking that maybe, somehow I had broken the driver side strut mount. I had broken one years back in my 04 GT, and it made a similar noise going over bumps. So while using the search feature last night, doing research, trying to find threads with similar problems, I came across a couple about these anti-rattle clips. I noticed in the threads, they said the noises would stop anytime they would hit the brakes. I hadnt had a chance to test this on mine yet, because it was late, and I was about to go to bed....but I figured I would try it in the morning.

So, this morning, I made a last minute decision, and decided to call into work, (so I could get the car fixed, since it is my only car at the moment, and at this point I still wasnt sure what the problem was, or how bad things were), and the first thing i decided to try this morning was to take a ride around the block, and try hitting the brakes, anytime i would hear the noises... and sure enough the noises would seem to stop. Now Im just praying that the issue is just the anti-rattle clips I had read about...a cheap, quick, and easy fix.

So off I go, a few miles up the road, to my buddies shop (the guy that installed my brakes), and asked him about the rattle clips, and showed him pics of the clips using the internet on my phone. He confirmed that the front pads that I had him install, did NOT come with any rattle clips. He jacks up the car, and messes with the caliper, and sure enough it has play in it. We ended up pulling the old clips off of my old pads (which I had put in the new box, and was in their trash...thankfully the trashmen hadnt came yet haha)...we slapped the old clips on there, and guess what? yup, the noises are fixed/stopped! It ended up not costing a dime to fix (of course the guy installed the clips for free, on the spot, because it should have been done right the first time), and she rolls once again, with no clanks and rattles...thank God.

Now the point of all of this, is not me telling you guys a "cool story bro"...but rather to suggest that any of you guys that are out there, that may be chasing down front end noises (particulary noises/clanking/crunching coming from the wheel area), make sure your pads have these anti-rattle clips installed!! Or if you know they WERE installed, then make sure they havent broken off or anything (if you are getting similar noises). If you dont know what i am referring to, when talking about these clips, check out this link...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/698824-how-replace-anti-rattle-clips.html

I realize all of this is nothing new, and isnt breaking news (the knowledge of these clips)...but this is MY first time in experiencing a problem with them, since owning the car, and wanted to share. I was surprised that such small/cheap clips could cause such a terrible racket/clanking. It was loud too. Soooooo glad its fixed!

Just another thing you could use to check off your "check list" of things to check, when hunting down front end noises. haha

:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread