Holly appears to be dumping their Cobra headers

ATCzMustang

Established Member
I have these longtube Hooker headers on my 01' Cobra (actually the black coated ones - got them installed about 3 years ago), and it appears Holly might be discontinuing/dumping these headers as they are really cheap. Roughly $375 for long tube ceramic coated headers is a steal, compared to their original $935 price.

Hooker 6229-1HKR Hooker Super Competition Full Length Header - Ceramic Coated

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, this specific part is being discontinued according to your link. "This part is limited to stock on hand. This means once current inventory is sold out, it will not be back ordered nor will it be built again." I guess it is possible, though, that a new part will replace the old one. Seems strange that they would completely phase out their '96-'03 Cobra headers.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yes, this specific part is being discontinued according to your link. "This part is limited to stock on hand. This means once current inventory is sold out, it will not be back ordered nor will it be built again." I guess it is possible, though, that a new part will replace the old one. Seems strange that they would completely phase out their '96-'03 Cobra headers.

They probably don't sell as well for this platform. Whenever someone asks about headers you never see Hooker come up. I can't remember the last time I dealt with a set of Hooker headers.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
Like I mentioned, I have them on my 01' and absolutely love them. I'm surprised they are not more popular. The brand Holley and 'Hooker Headers' are synonymous with NASCAR, classic muscle cars, and the like for eons. Not the likes of BBK, MAC, or Kooks (even though I know they are good as well). Personally, I think it's super cool to have a COBRA with Hooker headers. They sound so freaking awesome, and I think they were worth the investment. Not sure why they weren't as popular. One reason they may have not been installed as much was that they cost a bit more originally than the BBK ones everyone tends to buy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They probably don't sell as well for this platform. Whenever someone asks about headers you never see Hooker come up. I can't remember the last time I dealt with a set of Hooker headers.
You're probably right on that.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm. I might jump on this.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

neb242

What mid pipe do they work with? I have BBK off-road h pipe right now with BBK Kong’s that need replaced.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Guarantee the reason they weren't popular at all is because they are $1k mild steel headers.

Gonna have to call them about FPO shipping... grumble...

How is the fit/finish on these? Do you have to ding a primary to clear the steering shaft or anything like that? Ground clearance?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What mid pipe do they work with? I have BBK off-road h pipe right now with BBK Kong’s that need replaced.

Generally headers and mid pipes are made to work only with each other. But a decent exhaust shop should be able to modify everything to work together. But that's another cost you have to decide on if it's worth it.

Guarantee the reason they weren't popular at all is because they are $1k mild steel headers.

Gonna have to call them about FPO shipping... grumble...

How is the fit/finish on these? Do you have to ding a primary to clear the steering shaft or anything like that? Ground clearance?

I don't have any experience with these on newer cars, but for the classics fit and finish was always on point. But then this was before Holley bought them out. In your situation with shipping and stuff I would stick with known good headers. Even Mac seems to have stepped up their game.

TimKonaGT500

Established Member
That is tempting...

This note at the bottom caught my eye... for real?

"Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will VOID all warranties. Hooker recommends using cast iron exhaust manifolds or old headers during your engine break-in period to avoid damaging your coated damage. "

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That is tempting...

This note at the bottom caught my eye... for real?

"Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will VOID all warranties. Hooker recommends using cast iron exhaust manifolds or old headers during your engine break-in period to avoid damaging your coated damage. "

Guess that says a lot about their coating quality.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
So Holley makes a X-Pipe for these headers, and it's the one I have on my Cobra. It's a bit hard to find these days, but here's the information:
  • Hooker OR X-Pipe 16761HKR
BTW, I know there have been a lot of questions about quality, etc.. These were expensive back in the day so the version I got were just the black painted. I wish I could have picked up a pair of ceramic coated for $375 what a deal! Even so, the black paint has obviously worn off, but these headers are tough to see from the engine bay so I opted not to spend the extra at the time. Even my lower-level Hooker headers have held up tremendously and my complete exhaust system sounds AWESOME. The advantages these have is I understand the transmission can still be removed after install (unlike BBK). As they mention, they spend extra time engineering to get the ultimate performance so that was in the original price too.

The only issue I had which was unrelated and more about LTs in general is the bypass harnesses for the O2 sensors (to prevent the engine light) never really worked. I ended up getting a Bama tuner from AR, sent my setup including LT Headers, and have never had a check engine light come on again.

Lastly, I spoke directly with Holley several years ago and there is nothing made that bolts up and has cats. So if you need that setup for some reason, you'll need to have it custom made.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
TBTH I really was thinking of picking these up but... I don't know enough about fit/finish and ground clearance. Plus the shipping to a FPO address is probably going to be problematic if they don't show the option already. Have run into that before where a company treats it like overseas shipping and charges out the ass (Lethal I'm looking at you) even though the actual shipping cost is the price of shipping to Chicago because that's where it is shipped to before MilAir takes over.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
I was trying to buy, "not available online" Apparently that was that :(
That's a shame because that was a sweet deal. There are other vendors that still have NOS but they might cost more. Keep an eye on eBay too.

BTW - it's worth being clear that these headers do NOT bolt up to the stock catalytic converters. I know this from speaking with Holley. You'll need to track down their XPipe I mentioned previously, or have an exhaust shop fabricate something.

FinnCobra

Established Member
That's a shame because that was a sweet deal. There are other vendors that still have NOS but they might cost more. Keep an eye on eBay too.

BTW - it's worth being clear that these headers do NOT bolt up to the stock catalytic converters. I know this from speaking with Holley. You'll need to track down their XPipe I mentioned previously, or have an exhaust shop fabricate something.
All vendors had regular prices, or even higher. And I always make my own exhaust after headers, current car being 1994 with 32v and irs rear.

Users who are viewing this thread