Established Member
Gen I and II had the yamah engine, 3.0 or 3.2 depending on tranny
they went from 89-95
then after that they went to the 8cyl.
just a quick over view

rgurleyjr

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't have one now but have had three of them, I love the cars. Oh yeah, I still have a 95 hard button EATC from my old Taurus, anybody interested? If so, PM me, it's in perfect shape.

Slushi

Established Member
if they could tune the new 4.4L up to around 375hp, and get it to keep up with an M3, then I think it would be something worth remembering, just like the original.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Does the 4.4L fit into the current Taurus? I'm sure you DIY'ers could have some sneaky unofficial SHOs yourselves with a little swapping, unless it's an impossible job.

nik96

Established Member
Duende said:
Does the 4.4L fit into the current Taurus? I'm sure you DIY'ers could have some sneaky unofficial SHOs yourselves with a little swapping, unless it's an impossible job.

It's not really a matter of if it will fit or not. It's more a matter of swapping an extremely expensive engine into a car that cost 3 grand. There is a member that has swapped a gen 3 V8 into his gen 2. It sure sounded cool but I'm sure that piece of shit AX4N gobbled up all the power.

My idea of the next SHO: Start with the 3.5 Duratech short block, add Yamaha heads and induction to bump power to 330hp. Add a nice six speed transaxle and some neo-slicers. Throw on some subtle, sporty body cladding, interior upgrades and badging, and there ya go.:coolman:

Black1999Cobra

Rollin' with the top down
Established Member
nik96 said:
It's not really a matter of if it will fit or not. It's more a matter of swapping an extremely expensive engine into a car that cost 3 grand. There is a member that has swapped a gen 3 V8 into his gen 2. It sure sounded cool but I'm sure that piece of shit AX4N gobbled up all the power.

My idea of the next SHO: Start with the 3.5 Duratech short block, add Yamaha heads and induction to bump power to 330hp. Add a nice six speed transaxle and some neo-slicers. Throw on some subtle, sporty body cladding, interior upgrades and badging, and there ya go.:coolman:

One thing you forgot, the forced induction. Gotta have a turbo...as many other car manufacturers do. :thumbsup:

motoman991

Banned
nik96 said:

Yea, the AX4N is the Gen III's are pieces of shit.

blue92

Established Member
nik96 said:

1st of all it ain't a SHO unless there's snakes under the hood. The perfect SHO would be one with a 6 speed trany that is stong enought to handle 800hp to the wheels without breaking 3rd gear. The V-6 Yamaha engine is a perfect engine it is the POS Mazda transmission that is the weak link.

These cars can get 330hp easily by just adding a 9lb supercharger kit on to it with a quafe.:coolman:

Slushi

Established Member
1st of all it ain't a SHO unless there's snakes under the hood.

does that mean the contour SVT is a SHO? :)

I want to see a Contour SVT, 3.0L AWD Fusion, 3.0L, 3.2L, and 3.4L SHO race on the strip, auto X, and road course.

Last edited:

blue92

Established Member
Slushi said:
does that mean the contour SVT is a SHO? :)

I want to see a Contour SVT, 3.0L AWD Fusion, 3.0L, 3.2L, and 3.4L SHO race on the strip, auto X, and road course.

The 3.4 auto SHO wasn't built for racing on a road course, the tranny won't hold up to that kind of hard shifting, fact none of ATX SHOs are worth a crap on a road course when the tranny gets hot they start spitting tranny fluid all over the track. I've seen thiis 1st hand that's how I know. :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread