Hole punched in Intercooler Radiatior

03cobra#116

Established Member
It looks like something hard and small bounced up off the road and punched a small hole in my intercooler radiator. Coolant was leaking on the garage floor. I don't think I drove it far with it low on cooler.

I had it towed into the dealer and they said it would be about $650 for a new radiatior plus labor. I asked if they could get is mended at a radiator shop, and they are pursuing that.

Is there any downside to having one mended?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I'd see about having it repaired.....shouldn't be a problem if they do it properly.

for that price, I'd have an oversized custom one made!

joeclams9

Established Member
thats what i was gonna say...see if u can get a better one for a nice upgrade that is now necessary anyway.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
You should give your insurance agent a buzz. They might cover that under your comprehensive or something. If it's more than your deductable, of course. I know I had a bike on a bike rack on my car last summer (roof type) and it came unlatched and did tons of cosmetic damage to the side of my car and it was totally covered :)

03cobra#116

Established Member
The dealer called back -- looks like the cost to repair the radiator is less than $100. There will be more charges from their labor charges for removing and replacing.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
If you were going to pay over $500 something I would go with a JDM Fluidine(?) unit. More efficent cooling.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
It is not a difficult job to remove the damaged unit. If I remember correcrly, there are 2 bolts and 2 hoses and it comes out. Why not consider doing the swap yourself and putting the money saved towards an improved cooler? Or take it to a radiator shop and have it repaired yourself.
Sounds as though the dealer will charge you big bucks to do it.

Dana

stangin

Established Member
Repair

I would bet it could be soldered right on the car, then try to straighten the fins. If not, I agree go with the better unit and do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread