• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Hole in my Differential Case?

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by Maverick-4, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Maverick-4

Maverick-4 Member Established Member

I found a large hole in my differential, I heard of folks breaking their cover but I haven't heard of the actual case breaking, is this a common issue?

Also does anyone sell a loaded differential (sealed case with the lsd) so I can do a straight swap?

Thanks
    Resized-20191114-140427.jpg

2. P49Y-CY

P49Y-CY selfie deaths ftw Established Member

wow, that's definitely NOT a common issue - in fact i am wondering how that could have even happened. did the gears explode from the inside?

3. Maverick-4

Yeah I was shocked too o_O , specially because car drove fine afterwards, only reason I noticed was that it started to smoke when the case puked the oil thru that hole.

4. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 Want to play a game? Staff Member Super Moderator

Something had to break.

Bdubbs likes this.
  5. Maverick-4

Found out what happened. Some of the bolts that hold the ring gear came loose. One finally came off completely and shoot out of the case, here you can see a good bolt fully torqued, then another that is half out and finally the one that left the diff, wow
    20200214-220302.jpg
    20200214-220234.jpg
    20200214-220310.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 3:19 AM
    MG0h3 likes this.
  6. Blkkbgt

Blkkbgt Well-Known Member Established Member

Who ever was in your diff last forgot to put red loctite on the bolts. I've heard of them backing out but this is the first time I've seen it. Your lucky you didn't loose the whole car going down the road.

All you can do from here is pick up a used diff, have it gone through and swap it. I'd use the opportunity to upgrade to a Torsen or a Truetrac. The funny part of situation is your lucky if that ABS sensor is still good, damn things are getting harder and harder to find.

7. Maverick-4

I think so! either that or failed to torque some of them down, this was the stock OEM differential too :/

But yes I got a complete replacement with Truetrac going in this weekend. That's interesting about the ABS sensors getting harder to find I didn't know that...

8. Blkkbgt

Blkkbgt Well-Known Member Established Member

From the look of the bolt hole you posted I don't think they put any loctite on the bolts. There's always some left on the threads when you pull a bolt.