Highest mileage GT500? Its a driver!

mikes35

Established Member
So I am sitting at 178,940 miles. Not all mine, but nonetheless it's still a pretty amazing testament to the quality of this engine and car. I've yet to see anyone with higher mileage. Thinking of getting a tuner just to data log what's going on with the engine. I've thought about getting a pulley and tune but am afraid to rock the boat with this high of mileage. Any thoughts? Thanks

IMG_6417.JPG

nickf2005

Established Member
Man... I thought my 42,000 was high. :)

At this point, leave well-enough alone. Once the engine goes, then it's time to play.

SirShaun

Established Member
Any oil getting by the rings? aka is it using any oil between oil changes?

If not, I say go for it, lets see what it will do. Throw a pulley and a tune on it you'll be alright. My bet is, it is fine.

A better indicator would be a compression test. You would see if you have any weak cylinders, and also have some numbers to compare with younger engines.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What?? you guys are crazy.

These motors have forged rods, pistons, and crank. I bet they would last 500k or more in stock form. Anything under 700whp is childs play.

OP.. i say tune, cold air intake, and pulley need to be on order ASAP.

Its a COMPLETELY different car with those 3 mods.

I feel like a VTEC Prelude would whip my GT500 when it was stock.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Mine is at 79k. It is great to see those high mileage cars out there. Personally, I would not worry about getting the pulley and tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirShaun

Established Member
I'm interested in hearing the list of things you have had to replace in those 180k miles.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
My dad replaced his rear end, due to it whining. Inside was full of metal shavings. Went from 3:55's to 3:31's I think. Bought a used axle assembly from eBay.

Has an JLT intake. Replaced the blower around 130 I think. Had a pulley tightened too much and was whining. Lasted a while. Was junked up with oil and crud in the butterfly valve. Replaced the passenger side 4 injectors but he didn't replaced the other 4 (lazy). Think he changed spark plugs around 100k as well. I bought him new koni struts Bilstein shocks steeda bumpsteer. Ford racing lowering springs. New strut mounts gt500 spec. The ball joints from steeda wouldn't fit his control arms. So he bought brand new front control arms. Bassani axle back. New clutch kit from American muscle. New pads and rotors from brembo. Switched from the stock tires and wheels to alcoas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I for one am jealous. 179k and in Western NC, that is a few trips on the old Dragon!

mikes35

Established Member
I'm interested in hearing the list of things you have had to replace in those 180k miles.
In the time I've had it I have only done a few repairs. I replaced the worn out rear upper control arm with a metco control arm. I replaced what I thought were worn rear shocks. I had to lube the ignition switch as it would lock up. I have a noisy rearend that will need repair and the top of the passenger cat is leaking, I'm going to try to weld it or find a forum member with one for sale. Oh yeah, I had a hard to find periodic antifreeze leak, turned out to be a loose clamp on the lower radiator hose.

mikes35

Established Member
I for one am jealous. 179k and in Western NC, that is a few trips on the old Dragon!
I've been on the parkway with the top down at least a dozen times since last summer. I'm about 15 minutes from the Parkway and about 30 minutes from Mount Pisgah. I'm about 2 hours from the Tail of the Dragon, I plan to drive it this year. I live in the best place to own a convertible!

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I am about an hour north of the Parkway and have been on it many times. Most of the time when we are going to enjoy a drive on the Parkway, the Shelby stays in the garage and the old Boxster gets to stretch its legs! 217 hp is plenty for the BRP, and you are so right about the convertible part!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Man... I thought my 42,000 was high. :)

Me, too! I'm right around 45K. Around 43K of that has been with my Whipple. I feel like I have room to breathe now. LOL

OP, if you've maintained your engine as well as your paint, I wouldn't worry about modding it. It'll be just fine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice to see there are more than a couple of GT-500 owners who drive their cars pretty much daily, and are enjoying every one of those miles. And I would bet the majority of them are still in very good condition.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Friend of mine had a modular motor 4.6L GT with a Vortec S trim. Daily driven, even in the snow. 320k supercharged miles on the original engine and supercharger install. Needed a supercharger bearing change / service at 320k miles, Vortec did it for free.

nickf2005

Established Member
Nice to see there are more than a couple of GT-500 owners who drive their cars pretty much daily, and are enjoying every one of those miles. And I would bet the majority of them are still in very good condition.
That's where I struggle.... It's not a true daily, but I put decent miles on. My paint, especially the front end, shows it. Rock chips, a few nicks in the clear, and a couple dents to go along with it. I've accepted it, I suppose. I've contemplated that once life takes over a bit more and she spends more time in the garage, that maybe I'll invest the money to have the dents popped, and the front end repainted. Just not sure what a repaint would cost.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Expect to pay $5K+ for a good respray. Or you can go to Meineke and get one of their cheap paint jobs. It'll look like you rattle-canned it in your garage, though.

nickf2005

Established Member
Expect to pay $5K+ for a good respray. Or you can go to Meineke and get one of their cheap paint jobs. It'll look like you rattle-canned it in your garage, though.

Is that for a full repaint? I'm wondering if they can do just the front end and blend at the front quarters???

Users who are viewing this thread