High RPM lockout...more pronounced after supercharger install...clutch change?

cheeser

Established Member
After installing a VMP Gen2R last year, I noticed this coyote spins up much faster now. As a result, I encounter the occasional issue where I can’t shift gears at higher rpms...clutch pedal occasionally sticks to the floor. This problem may have been present before the VMP install...I just noticed it more after the install as the engine appears to be quicker in ramping up in rpms.

From what I’ve read, it appears to be a problem from the stock clutch setup, so I’m looking at replacing this summer. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a lift and don’t want to do this on my back in the garage.

Im looking for a clutch with good street manners, with an infrequent use at the drag strip, and maybe local road course. The stock clutch seems to be holding up fine...just the high rpm issue that bothers me.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I took my car (625whp) out for first time in 4 months yesterday. It felt easy to drive for some reason. Pretty smooth. Good shifts (under load). Clutch works wonderfully.... McCleod RXT. Previous owner ran it at the track a little bit, using slicks, with 11.3 best.

One thing I notice with a twin-disc setup is you gotta press clutch pedal all the way to the floor, otherwise you WILL get some notchiness and complaints from the trans. I could powershift my old Muncie 4-speeds all day long, but they all had single disc clutches. I have not attempted a full powershift with this RXT, nor will I.

-

Wals0248

Established Member
Exedy Mustang Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch 07807LB (11-14 GT)

I have a 2013 GT with a VMP on it, I went with this one, drives like stock.

I should also add I replaced this before I did the supercharger because the pedal was sticking to the floor. I think my 2nd gear syncros have had their life cut short considerably because of the shit stock pressure plate. I also did an MGW shifter at the same time along with this

McLeod Mustang High Performance Hydraulic Clutch Line Upgrade 139251 (05-17 V8)

Totally different car after install.

Norm Peterson

Established Member
One thing I notice with a twin-disc setup is you gotta press clutch pedal all the way to the floor, otherwise you WILL get some notchiness and complaints from the trans.
Makes sense - you're having to separate twice as many clutch disc friction surfaces, and the steel in the middle could still drag a bit against one disc or the other.

Norm

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Makes sense - you're having to separate twice as many clutch disc friction surfaces, and the steel in the middle could still drag a bit against one disc or the other.

Exactly my thoughts sir! I would say it took me about 1 minute to figure that out after I first bought the car, LOL.

cheeser

Established Member
I performed the MGW upgrade a few years ago, and have the upgraded clutch line sitting in a box waiting to be installed.

As far as clutches, there seems to be almost too many options. I was initially looking at the McLeod RST, but open to there as well...just don’t want to worry about chatter, but don’t mind if I need to adjust my driving style to accommodate clutch nuances.

cheeser

Established Member
I performed the MGW upgrade a few years ago, and have the upgraded clutch line sitting in a box waiting to be installed.

As far as clutches, there seems to be almost too many options. I was initially looking at the McLeod RST, but open to there as well...just don’t want to worry about chatter, but don’t mind if I need to adjust my driving style to accommodate clutch nuances.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Purchase a twin disc and be done with it. Dont waste your money on mounts, lines, and shifters. All of those improve the trans overall but will not help with lockout, it's the clutch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blwnova

Established Member
It's definitely your clutch mine was doing exactly the same thing. I replaced shifter, hydraulic line and fluid, still the same. Installed a Mcleod RST clutch kit with flywheel and it was night and day difference. Before, any shift over 6500 rpm locked me out now i can shift at 8000 rpm with no lockout. The only drawback to the Mcleod is if you lug the engine you will hear a loud rattle coming from the clutches but the clutch pedal feels light just like stock. I heard the Mantic clutch doesn't rattle but the price difference is drastic

2014gtcs

Established Member
Just the other day I experienced a lockout going from 2nd to 3rd, really pissed me off. The clutch is a must do upgrade, including the DS.

crjackson

Established Member
I heard the Mantic clutch doesn't rattle but the price difference is drastic

I don’t need a new clutch just yet. Mine is very low mileage and has no lock-out or other issues.

When the time is nigh, I’ll be going with a Mantic. Super nice piece of kit.

Ghosrtrider99

I experienced tons of lockouts when i was just bolt-ons. I went and installed blow-fish racing trans mount, no more lockouts. I've recently installed a Gen3r with 13lbs of boost, so far so good, but i'm not launching the car from a dig. Going 2-3-4 at 7k shifting here and there still holds.

Users who are viewing this thread