High performance pistons. Decisions Decisions

Jh1895

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 03 termi. Bought the car with a built motor .20 over, vmp 2.3 g2 @18psi. Stock crank and cams car made 661/596 to the tire. Long story short it’s rebuild time it had diamond street/strip dish series 9:1 pistons. Planning on staying with the same compression, but I’m wanting some advice on what pistons to go with. Stay with the diamonds? Mahle,JE.... to coat or not to coat? I don’t want to spend unnecessary money but I also want to build something that will last...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I ran Diamond in my last engine. No real complaints. I'm planning on looking into Gibtecs next time around. I think the only thing extra I got was the coating on the skirts. Probaby best to talk to the manufacturer about that. Make sure you get the upgraded wrist pins.

Saleen498

Established Member
Was just debating this I'm my new build. I have diamonds in my current 6.3 big bore and stroked block with no complaints at all. But a friend of mine who has alot more experience than me recommended gibtec. I've never even heard of them until last week. His exact words to me were oliver billet i beam and gibtec pistons, boost and set it

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blownstang4.6

Established Member
93 or E85 fuel? Gibtec is a great choice, but also look at Wiseco. I'd go with their - 6 to get you around 9.7:1. Can't go wrong with CP, Diamond, JE. If also doing rods look at Molnar.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Why did it fail in the first place? Its likely not the pistons fault the engine needs a rebuild. Are you able to reuse your current pistons?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have CPs at about 9.8:1 compression in my build. That was nine years ago and Gibtec was not available then. Today, I would go with Gibtec pistons and pins. They have some strength advantages over the others and you can't beat the piston/pin/ring combination price.

Jh1895

Why did it fail in the first place? Its likely not the pistons fault the engine needs a rebuild. Are you able to reuse your current pistons?
It was a skirt failure at the wrist pin that got into the ring lands. It’s not the pistons fault your correct and that wasn’t the reason for my question. I’m not against going back with what was in the car. I’m just trying to get the best bang for my buck and also trying to avoid having to build it again. It only got one piston I could more than likely use the other 7 but I am not going to chance it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

Agreed. Too much boost, to much timing.....something is wrong. No one should have to go through so many rebuilds $$$. Pump gas sucks, be cautious with it. E85 is much safer to get greedy with.

Jh1895

Agreed. Too much boost, to much timing.....something is wrong. No one should have to go through so many rebuilds $$$. Pump gas sucks, be cautious with it. E85 is much safer to get greedy with.
It was operator error. The joys of being new to owning blown toys. Owned the car for 5 days ran great the whole time actually drove it 11.5 hours home after I bought it. Of course in those 5 days I took it and showed it to a few friends and made a few pulls in it. Went to change the oil on day 6 and learned the hard way what I catch can does.... the last friend I “showed” the car I think it was just low enough that I starved that end of that one rod thus causing the skirt failure. Luckily I caught it early. Block is at machine shop now. Almost positive it’s just going need honing.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I run Gibtec's in mine and they are coated on the top and skirt. Made 1350whp earlier this year and hoping for 1500+ after a quick refresh. Beat these things to death since 2016 at 4 digit power.

Anyone looking to order, call my brother's shop. They are a direct dealer and located about 5 miles from Gibtec in Denver. You'll get better pricing than calling Gibtec direct. Finish Line Denver, denverhorsepower.com, 720-201-1834 and ask for Denny.

Users who are viewing this thread