High Oil Consumption

Zemedici

Established Member
Well given the signature of cars running normal for 6k+ miles then a quickly increasing oil consumption until failure...

I bet the issue is a failure of something with a rate that increases over time/miles. Seems like once it occurs, the cars run about 3k miles before the problem is extreme consumption...

Given all the failures, Ford will not be able to decline the warranty events and I bet we get less pushback when it does happen.

We will learn what it is sooner than later, and in the meantime, the 5 year 60k drivetrain warranty will cover us pretty well. The failure signature and Fords response may correlate to our cars residual value after 5 years.

I used to believe voodoo residual was going to be among the very best... Those on these forums crying about tq make me laugh. GT350R is spectacular on track and road.

Residual may be tops even with a tarnish spot :) I certainly relish mine.

Customer had 2 engines installed within ~300 miles.

Motors are just a time bomb, imo. They’re too iffy for me.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I'll edit the post. Didn't fully understand, but his engine builder seemed to think that was the culprit...he lost oil pressure on track.
Well, the engine builder is there and I'm not, so I won't discount the possibility that the damaged seal was the culprit. If it was damaged when the engine was assembled, it could have allowed air into the oil pump intake and that would have been whipped into foam in the pump and that would have eventually caused bearing problems or even a pump failure.

It would be ironic if the reason there's a string of oil pump related GT350 engine failures is because of this stupid little seal. People are swapping out OPG's left and right and all the while the problem is a ten-cent piece of rubber on the oil pan.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
....the seal is on the low pressure intake side of the pump. There's no pressure on it, so it couldn't have "blown out".

I still didn't like this idea when it was presented to the press at the engine reveal. The engineers were proud of the design as I'm sure the bean counters were but I still prefer a pickup that is fastened mechanically.

Tank5879

Established Member
I still didn't like this idea when it was presented to the press at the engine reveal. The engineers were proud of the design as I'm sure the bean counters were but I still prefer a pickup that is fastened mechanically.

The 2018 5.0 engine uses this same design as well. Will the 500?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

I believe that's true.

Weird thing is there have been very very few excessive oil usage instances with the new 5.0 in relation to the number produced.

The 18 5.0 has its own issues though... bbq tick, piston rattle when cold.. etc.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

That's a great question. For what probably amounts to very little in terms of cost I would hope Ford chooses the most robust option they have available.

procharger

Established Member
I've been reading a lot about this oil issue, NOTHING has been touched on piston oil return ports or any pics of the actual piston. Toyota had the same issue with their 2AZ-FE engine, I know first hand because I seen the piston after disassembling the engine in my son's 2001 Chevy Prizm. According to Toyota TSB the fix was to change the two hole piston to a four hole piston, this allowed the oil in the rings to return back to the oil pan, the piston with two holes does not allow the oil to return fast enough, so the excessive oil gets burned up during combustion or is trapped in the cats to be burned off, which could cause engine failure. During my experience...nobody replaces anything for FREE unless they are at 100% fault.
upload_2018-11-22_18-34-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-22_18-30-35.png
    upload_2018-11-22_18-30-35.png
    899.1 KB · Views: 346

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
I figured I would post this here instead of a new thread.

I purchased the 2017 Ruby Red / Black Stripes Track Pack Shelby GT 350 off the Showroom floor on May 10th 2018
it had been sitting since October 2017, the car had 4 miles in the odometer.

The first 2000 miles I had the oil changed. at 3500 mi I noticed the oil level was low, so I put in 3 qts. I continually checked the oil at every fill up and noticed that I was at least 1qt low at every fill up. then it increased to 1.5 qts then 2 qts. At 8000 mi, I took it to the dealer and they performed an oil consumption test. After several trips back for checkups they determined

that I was using 1.5 qt every 220 miles they also noted that Cyl 1 & 2 spark plugs had oil on them. They said that they were waiting for Fords approval to replace the engine, the service writer said that they never replaced an engine in the GT350 and have never heard of any issues. I was concerned about this comment and decided to take my car somewhere else.

I went to Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax, VA because I met their Chief Master Tech who is a Shelby expert who has replaced engines in the GT350.

Unfortunately, We had to be the Oil Consumption test again. The test results were the same 1qt every 120 miles.
I dropped the Car off on Monday February, 4th 2019, for them to pull the valve covers and intake, do a borescope for Ford.
It took 15 min after all results were submitted and Ford approved an engine replacement.

This was Thursday February 7th, by February 15th the car is ready.

I have only Tracked my car twice

The date of manufacture of my car is 9/2017 [H6088]
Completely Stock Engine no mods or catch cans
Oil consumption was 1 quart every 120 miles
35% highway use - I did drive the Car to Erie PA at 1000 miles (700 miles Highway)

I did not drive the Car hard until after my first oil change (2000 mi)

I took pictures of the Borescope images.
Remember this engine had 9500 miles on it.

I believe this is the Head, near a valves
dEBGRHq.jpg

nKC1HI4.jpg

Not sure but he was pointing out the metal chunks
0ssuqX7.jpg

Notice the oil pooling
ZmxpNVL.jpg

This is the Cylinder wall
EUn2Bxa.jpg

The tech said that the rings did not set properly Cylinder 2 was the worst, 3 was almost as bad and 1 was the least damaged.

He also pointed out that the new engine is a different part number.
4W0YCCP.jpg

New Engine Build Date December 12, 2018
the Engine build is a 2019 GT350R motor.

Some have suggested that the ticker proves it's just a replacment motor, I have several others
post pictures of their Engine ID tags and it does show there has to be some differences
between the GT350 & GT350R motors.

So no the REP does not equal Replacment it means Romeo Engine Plant
and the GT350R the "R" does not mean replacment

notice the KA (2019) 555 is the GT350R engine Code, the GT350 is 557

the code along the bottom is EF0AA also equals Romeo
the 18346 (Engine Build Date in Julan Date format)
2200 (I dont know, but all engine ID stickers are the same.
01 (the number of that engine built that day)

the tech said that had to be replace the Oil Pressure Sensor Plug on my 2017 GT350
I guess it was not compatable with the 2019 GT350R one?

Last edited:

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
Well given the signature of cars running normal for 6k+ miles then a quickly increasing oil consumption until failure...

I bet the issue is a failure of something with a rate that increases over time/miles. Seems like once it occurs, the cars run about 3k miles before the problem is extreme consumption...

Given all the failures, Ford will not be able to decline the warranty events and I bet we get less pushback when it does happen.

We will learn what it is sooner than later, and in the meantime, the 5 year 60k drivetrain warranty will cover us pretty well. The failure signature and Fords response may correlate to our cars residual value after 5 years.

I used to believe voodoo residual was going to be among the very best... Those on these forums crying about tq make me laugh. GT350R is spectacular on track and road.

Residual may be tops even with a tarnish spot :) I certainly relish mine.

so far out of 18,000 built there are about 2% that have had failures, actually not that far off from many specialty cars.
even if the number shows up to 3 or 4 percent and is still withing the averages of many production cars today.
I think we are just more vocal about the failures.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice on the 350R replacement engine. I’d guess they were out of 350s and grabbed a 350R to not delay your warranty work. I’ve read there is a difference in the valvetrain or timing chains on the R, but no actual proof.
Sounds like a reason to add boost and enjoy!
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
so far out of 18,000 built there are about 2% that have had failures, actually not that far off from many specialty cars.
even if the number shows up to 3 or 4 percent and is still withing the averages of many production cars today.
I think we are just more vocal about the failures.

Source?

Zemedici

Established Member
No source, personal obervation, Research, and pure conjecture.
there are no published numbers out at this point. I have only collected my own information by searching every forum, Facebook page and instgram, twiter ect. I have an Excel sheet with about 200 cars with engine issues

Ok so imagine how many people DONT use those forms of social media? Half of people over 40?

2% is a joke. It’s much higher

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
Very nice on the 350R replacement engine. I’d guess they were out of 350s and grabbed a 350R to not delay your warranty work. I’ve read there is a difference in the valvetrain or timing chains on the R, but no actual proof.
Sounds like a reason to add boost and enjoy!
-J

The only differences I can find are the phasers, the regular GT350 use the
FR3Z-6256-B, FR3Z-6C525-B & FR3Z-6C524-B
and the GT350R uses the GR3Z-6256-A and GR3Z-6C525-B & GR3Z-6C524-B.

I believe the different numbers are for Left and Right, Intake and Exhaust Cams.

I had found people posting pictures of their phasers in enegine rebuilds.

All GT350 Owners have posted these
lPBFwHx.jpg

While the GT350R builds have posted these
Go3GLqG.jpg

Even in a Ford Article there was a picture while talking about the GT350R
0mJ7Oyf.jpg

picture from teh actual article Blown up to see the markings

And the Engine ID Labels.

all the GT350 owners are posting these
3BMBN8K.jpg

While all GT350R owners are posting these ID labels
REBoyJF.jpg

Now I don't believe these parts contribute to any of the failures, but after reading what the GR3E phasers do offer better oil control than the FR3E.
This maybe due to the thought that the "R" would see more track time than the Regular GT350

Last edited:

MustangGT350FAN

Established Member
Ok so imagine how many people DONT use those forms of social media? Half of people over 40?

and it might be, but I can only speculate on the numbers that I have access to. Ford wont realese them, Dealers have no Idea. so I can only work with what I have. If you know of other numbers let me know..

Thats why I said even if it were 4 %, thats not above the average.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No source, personal obervation, Research, and pure conjecture.
there are no published numbers out at this point. I have only collected my own information by searching every forum, Facebook page and instgram, twiter ect. I have an Excel sheet with about 200 cars with engine issues

Rofl. Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member

Thank you ...I’m getting tired of saying it. When people can start doing a plain ole division problem with the number of failures they’ve seen and the number of people actually online, they won’t be in denial any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread