high milage lightnings, Q&A please!

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
Looking to possibly buy a lightning for a daily driver, and to pull a boat. Wondering if there is a buying guide like cobrabob has for cobras? ( Terminator FAQs )

What should be my biggest concerns about buying a used lightning, and a high milage lightning? Is there a few big concerns or is it like a lot of things just depends who has owned it and how it has been maintained?

On a side note, do most of you guys run 91 octane, seeing 93 is very difficult to find these days?

I have read lowering a lightning really decreases the towing ability. Towing a 3000ish lbs. boat with a 2/4 drop shouldn't be a problem correct?

I know the whole 99-00 have different gears, drive shaft, mass air sensor compared to the newer lightnings and 03-04 have more threads on the spark plugs. Not looking performance wise on what lightnings are better then others... just looking for what issues I should be wary of when buying.

Thanks
-Jeremy

Thanks for your help fellas. :burnout: :thumbsup:

fruhdaddy

Established Member
the 99/00 trucks had intercooler problems that leaked, have Ford run the vin to see if recall has been done if you find a 99/00 model. All models if Im correct had cruise control recalls also so have them check that. Early 01 a few had tranny issues with the "J" code trans. You would look at the same issues like any other car you are buying, even a cobra, like fluids, belts, hoses, etc..The lightning is tuned for 91 from factory so thats what you have to use, unless you are custom tuned for 93. A 2/4 drop will lose towing, may not be able to tow 3k lbs, but you can do a 2/3 or 1/2 drop and be fine. I have a 2/4 drop and around 2k lbs or so its not sluggish but not towing how factory would of.

Im sure others will chime in with more info, Im fighting sleep this is all I can think of

black-plasma

Established Member
LightningRodder forum was a good source for me when I was looking, I ended up buying an '03 and love it.

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
I have towed a 19' Bayliner center console with my L. I'm not completely sure of the drop specs (done by previous owner and I don't have the paperwork in my hand at the moment), but I think it's a 2/4 and it pulled fine. I'm sure the long bars helped to limit the amount the leaf springs compressed. I think I noticed maybe 1/2" of compression when I hooked it up in the yard. I did scrape one of the long bar mounts on a speed bump at the gas station with the boat behind it, but backing into and pulling out of the boat ramp was no problem.

I have a 2001 with fully built all forged internals engine from MHP with Romeo heads, Trickflow Trackmax stage 2 cams, Moroso 7.5qt oil pan, SN-95 4 valve oil pump, CAI, SBTB, 4# lower pulley, Magnaflow catback and a conservative(for now) dyno tune. Trans upgrades include a valve body, Morosso pan, and a 2400 rpm stall converter.

With my drop the tow hitch would have been too low and it has long been removed. I think the bumper will hold around 5000lb trailer weight so that wouldn't be a problem.

funair02

Established Member
Personally, I would buy a stock one with no drop and put in the Sensatrac Coil-over shocks in the back. ;)

I usually run 93 but have run non-ethanol 90 with no knocking or problems. I have towed some large loads, but not many times. The largest being a trailer with about 3500 lbs of stone in it.

Higer mileage L's are great. It really is all how they are taken care of. From what I can see, ones that are stock or lightly boosted last much longer. Stock L's go 150K+ before needing any kind of rebuild. This number basically drops 10K miles for each pound of overboost. Either the tranny or the bearings in the motor will go first.

No mines not for sale :) :beer:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
Thanks guys... Was going to look/buy a lightning a few days ago and over night the seller emailed me that he had a deposit and the truck was sold. Good thing I double checked my email before I left. It was going to be a 6 hour trip.

Here is a pic of it. I found it over on lightning rodder.

grabberbluesvtlightning.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread