High interest online savings account recommendations

_Snake_

Established Member
Searched and the most recent thread was from 2014....

I was thinking about putting my emergency funds (equivalent to 3-6 months of bills) into a high interest online savings account after seeing rates of 3-4%. I'm specifically considering a high rate savings account with UFB Direct but some of the online reviews have me second guessing my choice.

Has anyone banked with UFB and if so, were you happy?

Which institution are the ballers here using?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
What are emergency funds?

I'm banking on another Stimulus to dig me out of my spending habits.

I'm with Discover (3%) for my rainy day funds.
May not be the best rate, but I have a card with Discover so it was just easy having a combo package of savings + CC.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
3% is higher than the majority of banks. Our granddaughter got a Discover CD with the 3% interest rate. Good for her! I'm considering moving at least 50% of my emergency fund to a 4% 1-Yr. CD. I'm also considering a Synchrony offer of a 4.4% 15 month CD.

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member

May not be the best rate, but I have a card with Discover so it was just easy having a combo package of savings + CC.
Emergency funds = rainy day funds.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think capital one has 3.6% right now.

Ally generally has some pretty high rates as well, I haven't checked but my wife likes the idea of using them because they sponsor so many drivers.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I'm with American Express. 3% now. I went with them since it was an easy set up since I've been a credit card holder for a long time. Regardless of who you go with make sure there are no fees and they are FDIC insured.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

Does your rate ever change? I started a $25k money market back in the beginning of 2019 that was 1.5% and I thought that was decent, but it’s dropped to .15% last I checked. Certainly wouldn’t mind moving that and getting a better return!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Interesting thing happened today. I got a email from my bank (PNC) that my savings account's new APY is 3.5%. I logged into my account and sure enough it says 3.5%. Good timing as I was just about to pull the cash out and throw it into a high yield savings at another bank.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
3% is higher than the majority of banks. Our granddaughter got a Discover CD with the 3% interest rate. Good for her! I'm considering moving at least 50% of my emergency fund to a 4% 1-Yr. CD. I'm also considering a Synchrony offer of a 4.6% 15 month CD.

That's a crazy rate on that 15 month CD.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Done! I just finished setting up my CD account. 4.40% is awesome. Much better than the 0.40% my local bank offers on a 1 year CD. 0.45% for a 2 year CD. And my money market percentage was a paltry 0.10%.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
4.4% is a solid return for a 15 month CD. I'm getting 3.73% in my Schwab money market account. I'll take the slightly lower return to be liquid in case any buying opportunities come up.

96dreamer

Established Member
My ally savings is at 2.75% right now. I would expect a bump some time soon. They're pretty good about following market trends. When I first opened it, it was at 2.5 and it has been as low as 2 and ads high as 3 in the last 5 years.

jshen

Established Member
I like the 4.5% CDs but the penalty for early withdrawal is very high. Are not CD's insured for a max of 250k? Since a savings account is only insured for 250k, Some have to have multiple banks. So far I have several accounts but I don't know any way around it. Any ideas? BTW, interest rates will continue to rise keeping me away from CDs

mariusvt

Established Member
We've been with capital one for years, currently at 3%. No complaints.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the 4.5% CDs but the penalty for early withdrawal is very high. Are not CD's insured for a max of 250k? Since a savings account is only insured for 250k, Some have to have multiple banks. So far I have several accounts but I don't know any way around it. Any ideas? BTW, interest rates will continue to rise keeping me away from CDs
Yes, the penalty for early withdrawal is high, but I don't need the money for at least the term of the CD. I went for the higher rate knowing that.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
We've been with capital one for years, currently at 3%. No complaints.

Same. Also have a fnbo direct account. Their rates are not competitive anymore so I moved most of my pot to capital one.

US Treasury I-bonds are ultra low risk and have a high return for now ( 6.xx %). 10k max per year though.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Interesting thing happened today. I got a email from my bank (PNC) that my savings account's new APY is 3.5%. I logged into my account and sure enough it says 3.5%. Good timing as I was just about to pull the cash out and throw it into a high yield savings at another bank.
Wow thats interesting, im looking into this!

Users who are viewing this thread