High horsepower (let's say 700+) guys; do you ever regret it?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Since my car is a road racing track car I've been told by many that the 580rwhp is about the limit of how much I want to put down. The ability to go WOT out of a corner is more important. This means suspension/tire must match power. Right now it's dialed in with the stock tire size. Larger tires I might be able to get to 625.

1000hp+ and trying to pull 1g laterally in a 100mph turn doesn't smell like fun. For those of you that go straight...sure... but I'm willing to bet your too pussy to pull the wheel hard left while doing it lol

Not necessarily true. It has more to do with how the car is set-up. For example...
BBTgasN.jpg

While this is the most famous and obvious example, there are many others.

SirShaun

Established Member
I live in probably one of the worst states to be a car guy. Good ol' Virginia.

Almost went to jail not to long ago, caught a break and got a 99 in a 60, instead of the actual 115 I got clocked at. Drove my GT500 to work, idled it a good bit in traffic, was running a little rough, caught a light, saw an opportunity, got in trouble. Jail happens quick at 700whp. I usually get out of it shortly after smacking 4th, maybe I shouldn't leave 3rd when I'm cutting up.

Best part of it all, I was dressed as Larry Enticer for work Halloween party. I sent it alright.

Court went well, think I caught a break on the fine, but insurance is going to **** me probably come renewal.

Year after year I put tags on it, get it inspected, pay property tax on it. If anything it made me want to sale it more, buy an older car, recoup any extra money given to the government/insurance company, through cheaper insurance and property taxes.

It's really not worth it to have anything nice.

Last edited:

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Since my car is a road racing track car I've been told by many that the 580rwhp is about the limit of how much I want to put down. The ability to go WOT out of a corner is more important. This means suspension/tire must match power. Right now it's dialed in with the stock tire size. Larger tires I might be able to get to 625.

1000hp+ and trying to pull 1g laterally in a 100mph turn doesn't smell like fun. For those of you that go straight...sure... but I'm willing to bet your too pussy to pull the wheel hard left while doing it lol

Not to high jack the thread... But to pull the wheel hard left at 100mph in a 1000hp street car wouldn’t mean you have balls, it would mean your stupid. A street car is not set up to do so. That’s a total apples to oranges comparison.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Kiohtee we put a turbo controller on a buddies car that worked off of a (in his case) a button (for strip use) he would ride around on 15psi and with the button it went to 30+ this may be an alternative if your not set on getting tires quite yet. The box wasn't that expensive maybe 375 the good thing was once the BOV was set for a certain # the controller did the rest. we weren't using correctly but the way we needed it but none the less the controller could be turned down and up easily to drop boost and make it more street friendly

This is good advice. ^^

I made my own 2 stage boost controller that cost about $50 all in.

Switch off is springs (7-8 psi) about 750 whp.
Switch on moves the air through the manual controller which is set to 11-12 psi which is just under 900whp.

9-EF838-C6-91-F4-4-B83-9244-DEF7-E8-F9-B6-ED.jpg

B2545-C11-66-C2-4-A1-B-85-C6-EF0994-A83997.jpg

E465-BCCD-8677-4681-8357-D2-A4-AC7-C8277.jpg

FD989-BA6-648-B-4-BDE-9656-D3-F27-AD3-CF96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
No one races around corners on the street lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190407-131838__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190407-131838__01.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 122

beau t

Established Member
I made my own 2 stage boost controller that cost about $50 all in.

Switch off is springs (7-8 psi) about 750 whp.
Switch on moves the air through the manual controller which is set to 11-12 psi which is just under 900whp.

That looks clean nice job! - i had written BOV instead of waste gate so thanks for not quoting all of it and i added a edit to correct. The kit we used had the same style mac valve its a PWM correct

Talleywacker

Established Member
No one races around corners on the street lol

Oh y’all never hit overpasses or Back country style curves. Sorry to hear this.

I gave up that "street" scene years ago. I keep it to the tracks or mostly solo pulls out away from people. Looking at your dyno chart your pretty much built for roll racing. You would be a very poor open track car. That is where we differ and it's all good. Just poking. Least you have something to drive my cobra doesn't ship till next month.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This is entirely a geographical question. If I lived somewhere warmer it would be great. It's not that cold here but from mid November till mid April I don't even think my almost stock V2 is that much fun to drive. 295 Pilot Sports, punched it today from about 35, spin city, bangs rev limiter then upshifts, hooks bogs, downshifts, spins. My old V1 with a cam was more fun to physically drive. I thought my 99 Cobra was more fun to rip around in than the 03 Cobra that replaced it. Traction 6-7 months out of the year sucks. I was considering replacing my V2 with a C7Z but it will be the same BS. I think I'd have more fun with a Grand Sport and a cam.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Oh y’all never hit overpasses or Back country style curves. Sorry to hear this.

I gave up that "street" scene years ago. I keep it to the tracks or mostly solo pulls out away from people. Looking at your dyno chart your pretty much built for roll racing. You would be a very poor open track car. That is where we differ and it's all good. Just poking. Least you have something to drive my cobra doesn't ship till next month.
My entire suspension and braking system is set up for road course.

I also have a boost controller. If I cant use 1000whp, I use the second programmable setting to bring it back down to 6psi. The tune adjusts automatically.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
He seemed pretty special, would also bet money, he wasn't on the stock turbo the way that thing was running.

You must live in an area with high altitude. Light bolt ons put these cars solidly in the 10’s. More and more are hitting 9’s on the stock turbo with some weight reduction and obviously full bolt ons/e85. Aftermarket turbo cars are solidly in the 9’s. Bonkers how these cars respond to mods.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
You must live in an area with high altitude. Light bolt ons put these cars solidly in the 10’s. More and more are hitting 9’s on the stock turbo with some weight reduction and obviously full bolt ons/e85. Aftermarket turbo cars are solidly in the 9’s. Bonkers how these cars respond to mods.
Mile high, and the track is literally on the side of a mountain. Skeptical as the guy was trying to pull the "just a tune" angle, in a totally stripped car with no exhaust past downpipe essentially. I really like the RS3, great bang for buck, could see owning one at some point as you can still get a manual too.

Users who are viewing this thread