High head temps, what are yours?

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I've noticed after about 2 wot pulls, my head temps will go 230+. It went up to 250 once before and normal driving is about 205-210. Never really paid attention to it before but recently noticed. What kinda of head temps are you guys seeing after wot runs? Boosted or not

Troponin

Established Member
In Texas heat (bout 100) I was doing some spirited driving one day and checked and was getting up to about 210 degrees. Wasn't necessarily WOT the entire time. I will pay attention more the next time I am running it WOT though. I am curious if it would get hotter. 250 degrees seems really, really hot. Not sure if that is normal.

Torchy

Established Member
Vegas, ambient temps up to 110+, TT, AC on, highest I've seen was 227 head temps, Fluidyne radiator, stock everything else for cooling.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Just to clarify, the time it went to 250 was after 4 wot pulls back to back. Coolant temp was normal

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
The highest I've seen is 213 on 3 back to back 1/4 mile pulls on open road. Air temp high 80's. Yours looks at least 7% plus higher in temps at 230 range. I would say 250 is not good.

redline5.0

Established Member
With mmr head cooling mod I don't think I've ever saw them go over 210-215 and that's wot pulls to 8k multiple times.

mhyjek

Established Member
I've noticed after about 2 wot pulls, my head temps will go 230+. It went up to 250 once before and normal driving is about 205-210. Never really paid attention to it before but recently noticed. What kinda of head temps are you guys seeing after wot runs? Boosted or not
Have you looked at your oil temps? I know mine are high if I go back to back highway pulls going to do boss oil cooler mod this winter my head temps will peak around 220's if go back to back runs without meth if I spray stay in the 205 area but my oil temps always go up on 3-4 th gear highway pulls. If you go for it three times I can max out my normal range on the oil gauge. Usually never happens but I have a grudge match 2x per year with a z06 and last time had to let oil cool down before our last run.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The temp sensor is at the rear of the head on # 4, this cylinder and # 8 have the lowest coolant flow and also lack the large water jacket that cylinder 1,2,3,5,6,7 have around the intake runner on the head. Adding the MMR head cooling mod will promote flow around the back of the heads and where the sensor of course is mounted and help decrease these temps. Be careful, these high temps lead to detonation and damaged #4 & 8 cylinders

Here is a pic of the water jacket, notice it is lacking on the # 8 cylinder, same holds true for the #4 cylinder.

coyote%20head%20water%20jacket.jpg

bigblue95z

Established Member
Highest I've seen mine is around 217* when sitting still. Fans kick on and it's back to 205-210 depending on if I get moving for a bit or not. This is on a '14 TrackPack in 80-95* (+stupid amount of humidity) weather in IL.

Vert

Established Member
Mine runs around 207, but if I shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes and when I start it back up they are in 230's. I assume heat soak sets in as the temps drop after minute or so.

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
How much does this add to a built shortblock?
The temp sensor is at the rear of the head on # 4, this cylinder and # 8 have the lowest coolant flow and also lack the large water jacket that cylinder 1,2,3,5,6,7 have around the intake runner on the head. Adding the MMR head cooling mod will promote flow around the back of the heads and where the sensor of course is mounted and help decrease these temps. Be careful, these high temps lead to detonation and damaged #4 & 8 cylinders

Here is a pic of the water jacket, notice it is lacking on the # 8 cylinder, same holds true for the #4 cylinder.

coyote%20head%20water%20jacket.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread