Hey Tob

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
But take a look at this image and tell me if it looks like it's made of metal or plastic. (I KNOW they're plastic, I'm just complimenting the company who made them.)

The only unknown is whether that black paint (if it actually IS paint,) will come off as it does on SO many Ford badges these days and they still haven't fixed it that I know of.

Ford has been tapping Tribar Manufacturing in Howell, Michigan for a number of years for badging, grille assemblies, etc. The badges are injection molded with a chrome-like or polished looking appearance. They do a fantastic job. Their website.

Welcome

A few years ago I swapped the rear decklid panel on my GT350 to a blank, badgeless panel from Ford Racing. Here are the two...

0b38fcf0c88355cbe021d990411d711b-XL.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg~original-L.jpg

I pulled the badge off the panel as well as from an extra front grille assembly I had to take a closer look at them.

0603171738ca_resized.jpg~original-X4.jpg

The level of detail matches that of the snake being used on the GT500 and is very similar.

0603171738cb_resized.jpg~original-X4.jpg

I considered having blanks made such that any laser engraved vector could be done so I decided to model the OEM badge in Soldiworks.

xx0609171544_resized.jpg~original-XL.jpg

z%20GT350%20emblem%20render.jpg~original-XL.jpg

I was extremely impressed with the level of detail from both a design and manufacturing standpoint. That led me to other ideas that I never finished such as a wheel centercap (in this case on an R model wheel that I rendered) that would use the same snake...

untitled.88.jpg~original-X3.jpg

And just playing in CAD...

untitled.161-XL.jpg

kilobravo

Established Member
Tob: MANY thanks for the info on Tribar and for the photos!

I'm reasonably capable with bitmapped images and videos, but I've never learned CAD software and wish I had. How long did it take to render that wheel cap? :) It's GORGEOUS!

And I wholeheartedly agree, Tribar's products look very impressive. That said, I'm wondering why Ford switched from red 3M double sided to bolts and nuts? Surely they didn't have a bunch of customers lose badging as that tape is SO sticky.

Imatk

Established Member
The only thing that bothers me on those rear black panels are that every rear black panel I've seen that's a few years old looks like hell. They're either scratched to hell and gone or they start to delaminate.

I like the look of them, but they seem very delicate.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The only thing that bothers me on those rear black panels are that every rear black panel I've seen that's a few years old looks like hell. They're either scratched to hell and gone or they start to delaminate.

I like the look of them, but they seem very delicate.

Exactly. I’be experimented with ceramic coating on those pieces and it’s a night/day difference

kilomikebravo

Established Member
I'm not sure which "black panels" you are talking about. Are they the black panels on the trunk lid between the taillights or are you referring to something else?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine still looks great at 6500 miles.
Tob please make those centercaps!
Hell even vinyl stickers for my Weld caps :)
-J

kilomikebravo

Established Member
That area on my 2014 is still shiny as a mirror.

My experience has been that it's the other black, plastic parts that deteriorate with UV exposure. I use Aerospace 303 on all those parts along with all the rubber trim. It's good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread