Hesitation/stuttering/making noise after shifting

5point0guy

Established Member
Hey, everyone. The last few weeks I've been having a problem with my '91 5.0. When I leave from a dead stop and shift into the next higher gear, I get this bad hesitation/stuttering. It evens out and runs smoothly as I pick up speed. I only notice it after shifting, and it does the same thing and makes the same noise after shifting into every gear. Also, I get this bad knocking-type noise. And when I take off from a dead stop in an area where noise echoes, I can hear this metal clanging noise. I have no idea what it could be and I really don't know where to start, so any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4valvemach

Established Member
Does it only hesitate when you accelerate or does it also do it when you rev up on it?As far as the sounds you hear you can check the motor&trans mounts,ujoints and torque boxes.

5point0guy

Established Member
It only does it when I accelerate, when I rev it it revs smoothly. I did read about transmission mounts going bad and having similar effects of what my car is doing. I did replace the motor mounts a few months ago so I'll definitely be checking the other things you listed.

WillyB93

Established Member
I would check to make sure the motor and transmission isn't trying to separate themselves!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread