HELP

Gmc72701

Established Member
Okay... I'm drivong home and the abs light turns on. I think "ok sh*t happens whatever" Not 5 seconds later every idiot light on the dash turns on and I smell a sweetish burning scent. Then about a hundred yds from my house all electronics in the car died but the motor keeps running until about 50yds from my drive when it sputters and the motor quits.

I thought ok... maybe the battery (& or alternator) quit so I checked and it showed 4.2volts. Replaced the battery and low and behold I connect the terminals and a slight whisp of smoke starts coming out. I started the car and it seemed a little weaker and idled down way quicker than usual... then the smoke started getting more and more as it started so I shut her off right when it started getting bad. It kept smoking until I disconnected the terminals...

She's a ported cobra with 35k miles my guess is a bad short because of the smoke not stopping until the batt disconnected.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Where is it smoking at? Assuming POS term as it’s more common to have a short to ground than short to hot.

If it’s at the POS term, start with a visual of the pos cable down to the
Alt.

Pretty sure there is a fusible link between the Alt and the lug on the shock tower though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I would start with the visual first, look for any hot spots on the insulation, melted areas, wads of electrical tape and hard kinks or bends on both the positive and negative terminals lines. The starter also has a dedicated positive line as well you should check.

Gmc72701

Established Member
I would start with the visual first, look for any hot spots on the insulation, melted areas, wads of electrical tape and hard kinks or bends on both the positive and negative terminals lines. The starter also has a dedicated positive line as well you should check.
It came from the drivers side below the battery's base around the manifold. My gut is telling me it's fluid burning off but I saw nothing dripping underneath, nor did I find any melted wire or kinks in lines. It was pretty dark last night though (I'm going to investigate further later today) and it seemed to stop when i pulled the power off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Well that’s right where the POS cable runs down to the ALT.

Again, kind of odd as there is a fusible link in the POS cable between the lug on the shock tower and ALT.

Your symptoms suggest an electrical issue and not fluid related. Expose/inspect the POS cable from BATT to ALT and starter and report back.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Well that’s right where the POS cable runs down to the ALT.

Again, kind of odd as there is a fusible link in the POS cable between the lug on the shock tower and ALT.

Your symptoms suggest an electrical issue and not fluid related. Expose/inspect the POS cable from BATT to ALT and starter and report back.

I agree, remove all conduit or covering and get eyes directly on the wiring.

olympic

Established Member
It could also be the alternator. Sometimes they can fail in a way that results in a short circuit. Definitely start by checking the wiring though.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
It could also be the alternator. Sometimes they can fail in a way that results in a short circuit. Definitely start by checking the wiring though.

You can check for a rotor short by a resistance check from the alternator output lug to the case unless its a flying short i.e. only present while being spun up. You should be able to see any burning unless its really dirty, then you can just give it a good sniff.

Users who are viewing this thread