Help with wifi range

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
So I spent way too much time today searching, reading, watching videos... can't seem to figure this out.
I'm trying to get some wifi from the house out to the shop. Have an old Linksys WRT110 router, trying to use it as an access point. Trouble is the existing router is in the opposite end of the house and a long ways a away from where I need it to be. But the modem and a 5 port switch is right by the door to go out to the shop. I tried plugging a hard line into the switch and the LAN ports on the modem but get no internet. Do I really have to come all the way from the other router with cat5 or 6 to the back of my old one to make an access point? Seems like Im missing something because it's the same source as whats in the wall in the computer room, just goes into the wireless router. ? I'm not great with this stuff but I managed to get in and change the settings in the router to use it as an access point instead of a router. Just stumped on why I can't get internet at the modem.. appreciate some guidance from the brilliant folks around here. Thanks, Joe.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
You could use a power line kit to extend the range via your homes electrical wiring. I've had mixed results, but when they work, they work well.

One adapter plugs into the wall and you plug an ethernet cable from it into the router and the other adapter you plug into the outlet as far away as you want in your home and it broadcasts the wireless signal.

olympic

Established Member
-you want both AP's plugged into the switch. Which LAN/WAN port you use is model specific as stated above.
-turn off DHCP for both AP's, turn DHCP on in the modem and let it handle assigning IP's.
-you may need to assign static IPs to the AP's. If your modem is 192.168.1.1 use .2 and.3 for the AP's and set the assignable address range to .4 to .99
-if you want both AP's to act as 1 wireless network, you need to set the SSID, password and security settings the same.

Start with that and see if it works.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
-if you want both AP's to act as 1 wireless network, you need to set the SSID, password and security settings the same.

I missed that part, will try renaming and setting the security. Tried it open first just to see if it was working.

Users who are viewing this thread