Help with Suspension, K member and LTH's

nitrojunk

Established Member
So some of you may know my car has the older 2 piece KOOKS long tubes. They are leaking and also sag really low. I have decided to pick up the ARH system which is about 1,750.00 (let me know if anyone has a code for cheaper). Now calling places for installation and it seems that's another 1,200 dollars.

The real question is - cant I buy a MM K member and matching A Arms and do the install myself? Will this significantly reduce the #$%#$ bombs one usually drops for hours as they attempt longtubes on our cars?

Now I only see MM packages for Bilsteins or Koni, I have BC Coilovers .. does anyone have MM K with BC Coilovers? What parts are needed ?

Thanks for everyone's knowledge

CobraSam

Established Member
Absolutely go that route IMO. I dropped my engine out the bottom and on the install, we lowered the car onto the engine, lifted it up, installed LT’s, installed K-member and so on. I couldn’t imagine doing it any other way. Yes I’m sure it can be done, but I wouldn’t do it any other way, in my experience.
In short, to save yourself the aggravation, go with your idea. Very easy to do that way.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You don't necessarily need an aftermarket K member to install headers. But since most people drop the K member to do the install it turns into one of those "while you're there" kind of things.

You can run the BC's. You just need some kind of coilover as MM control arms aren't set up to run stock type springs.

hotcobra03

Established Member
When I did my long tubes I didn't remove much.

I found lifting engine up as far as it could made getting those bolts in easier being you could see them vs just feel

I got it down to a couple hours vs all weekend

BBK was an easy fit,,steering shaft is outside of header

Not sure where yours leaks. But I did find out the hard way to reuse those steel gaskets vs paper

DCguy

Established Member
So some of you may know my car has the older 2 piece KOOKS long tubes. They are leaking and also sag really low. I have decided to pick up the ARH system which is about 1,750.00 (let me know if anyone has a code for cheaper). Now calling places for installation and it seems that's another 1,200 dollars.

The real question is - cant I buy a MM K member and matching A Arms and do the install myself? Will this significantly reduce the #$%#$ bombs one usually drops for hours as they attempt longtubes on our cars?

Now I only see MM packages for Bilsteins or Koni, I have BC Coilovers .. does anyone have MM K with BC Coilovers? What parts are needed ?

Thanks for everyone's knowledge
Here's where I got my ARH system...looks like they still have favorable pricing. Note that the price includes a midpipe....you have to use the ARH midpipe with their headers as it is a slip fit design.

FYI, if you intend to go with a full 3in exhaust (mufflers and all), you need to specify with them that you don't want the midpipe to neck down to 2.5in - this is their setup by default even on their 3in midpipes.

If you want to leave the engine in the car, and just drop the Kmember, you just need one of these engine supports:

Once you drop the Kmember its a VERY easy job - save yourself the $1200 if you feel like this is within your wheelhouse. That's money well spent on other items you could do while you're in there.

Be aware that many companies, especially MM, still have large backorders. It took me 4 months to get my Kmember from them last year...things could be a bit better now, but you may want to call and ask ahead of time to make sure.

BC coilovers, or any coilover for that matter, will bolt right up to an MM Kmember/A-arms......the coilover/strut assembly bolts to the spindle, not the Kmember, so it doesn't matter what coilovers you're using.

Go do some reading on MM's website on what's required....its all listed there.

nitrojunk

Established Member
Aw
Here's where I got my ARH system...looks like they still have favorable pricing. Note that the price includes a midpipe....you have to use the ARH midpipe with their headers as it is a slip fit design.

FYI, if you intend to go with a full 3in exhaust (mufflers and all), you need to specify with them that you don't want the midpipe to neck down to 2.5in - this is their setup by default even on their 3in midpipes.

If you want to leave the engine in the car, and just drop the Kmember, you just need one of these engine supports:

Once you drop the Kmember its a VERY easy job - save yourself the $1200 if you feel like this is within your wheelhouse. That's money well spent on other items you could do while you're in there.

Be aware that many companies, especially MM, still have large backorders. It took me 4 months to get my Kmember from them last year...things could be a bit better now, but you may want to call and ask ahead of time to make sure.

BC coilovers, or any coilover for that matter, will bolt right up to an MM Kmember/A-arms......the coilover/strut assembly bolts to the spindle, not the Kmember, so it doesn't matter what coilovers you're using.

Awesome - thank you for the help guys .. love this forum

nitrojunk

Established Member

have you bought many things from Southern ? have come across some unfavorable reviews ... but also know there is always 2 sides to a story

DCguy

Established Member
Every big retailer is going to have some bad reviews....most of them are due to longer ship/wait times but thats just the nature of parts these days. They don't have the headers/xpipe in stock....they are just a reseller....your order gets sent to ARH and it takes them 4-5 weeks to build them.....

SCP was very quick to respond to emails and have one of the better customer service departments......at least that was my experience.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW, I still ended up dropping my MM K member for my header install. In case that sways your decision either way.

Users who are viewing this thread