Help with oil leak!

Snakeeyes01

Established Member
Not sure if his should be here or in the terminator forum...

99 Cobra, did the eaton swap. Used all OEM 03/04 Cobra parts in the process. Car is tuned and all, did 450rwhp @ 8psi.

Im getting oil accumulating in the "V" of the timing cover just below the water pump. I removed the valve covers, the timing cover, the water pump, etc. Cleaned the valve covers and timing cover up real well, painted both, reinstalled with all new gaskets. Everything is sealed quite well. Before anyone says anything, yes, I sealed off the non used bolt hole and no, that is not the source of the leak.

15-20 miles worth of driving and I have an accumulation of oil around the bolt in the "V" of the cover. Eventually it runs down the front of the engine and onto the ground. Yes, its definitely oil. Light brownish in color (Oil has 20 miles on it). I checked the cover pretty well thinking maybe there was a crack in that section of the cover but didn't see anything. Any other ideas out there?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
There's a couple of spots you need to use silicon. I think where the timing cover meets the valve covers. It's been years and don't remember exactly where but I know it's needed in some spots.

Sleepinbeauty

Established Member
There's a couple of spots you need to use silicon. I think where the timing cover meets the valve covers. It's been years and don't remember exactly where but I know it's needed in some spots.
I just finished rebuilding my engine. There are 6 places that require silicon: (2) on the timing cover are where the oilpan, timing cover, and block meet ; (2) where the heads meet the block; (2) where the timing cover, block and valve cover meet. Run an 1/8" bead of silicon/RTV in those areas and coat a small film of oil on the gasket where it is not in contact with the RTV. So, basically if you have a joint, put some silicon in it.

Snakeeyes01

Established Member

All areas are siliconed. I used Hondabond which is excellent stuff. Valve covers to timing cover, timing cover to oil pan corners and head to block areas, just like listed in the manual.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you also make sure the timing cover isn't warped? Did you use new gaskets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I am more I cloned to think there is a crack.
Spray some brake clean on the area to clean it up .Buy some of the oil leak dye , and follow the I instructions .

Snakeeyes01

Established Member
I am more I cloned to think there is a crack.
Spray some brake clean on the area to clean it up .Buy some of the oil leak dye , and follow the I instructions .

Ive thought more about this.. When I installed the 03/04 timing cover, I used hondabond to fill the hole in the timing cover, but did nothing to the block. Seems from what I am reading that I was supposed to seal the hole in the block.

I am going to disassemble it again and take a look at the gasket and how it does/does not seat against the block paying more attention to this area. It would sure seem to make sense that the oil is coming from this area and pooling in the bottom of the cover.

Snakeeyes01

Established Member
Figured I would update the thread since a lot of these just seem to die out and no resolution is ever posted. I decided to pull everything apart and pay special attention to how the gasket mates with the block surface. This is where I found the problem. I thought all that was needed was a little silicone in the bolt hole area on the timing cover and you were good to go.... this is NOT the case for me. The timing cover extends into the timing chain area and the bolt hole runs halfway between the block surface and an open area. The gasket on the timing cover follows around this as well, leaving a section of about 1" where there is no gasket between the cover and the block. I cleaned everything up, put a bead of "Hondabond" in the area in question and all has been good. Took the car for a 20 mile drive and still bone dry like it should be!

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for updating the thread and now you can go and enjoy the new found Power :)

Users who are viewing this thread