Help with next direction for mods

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Hey everyone, just looking to get your input on the direction I should go next for mods.
I want to start stock piling over the winter months.
She's a 2003 vert with 12xxx miles. Weekend car only street driven (no track at my location ), stored in winter.
I'm not looking for anything to crazy as it's going to stay a street car
Current Mod list;
- Bassani off road x pipe exhaust from manifolds
- 8lb lower Metco pulley kit
- 5 piece Metco pulley idler aux kit 3-100mm 1-90mm
- 3.70" alternator pulley
- JLT true cold air intake
- Diablo predator tuner
- MGW short throw "standard"
- Dyno (mustang dyno low numbers 390rwhp )
- all 5 windows tinted

I will be purchasing the MM Full length sub frame connectors (should of did this first) and also the Ford Racing rear diff cover.
Should I purchase gears as well?

What do you guys think should be next?
TB? injectors? Suspension?

Thanks in advance!

D9DB9683-0A1B-415A-9E8D-BAB3407E0C6A_zpszwjnpcbs.gif

Last edited:

97StangSVT

Established Member
It depends on what your HP goals are. Looking at your sig, you are still running the stock pulley on the eaton. I don't think there is a need to change the injectors or TB. If you were going to port the eaton, then there would be a need for new injectors and a TB. I think the stock gears are fine, I wouldn't swap them.

Have you thought about running a smaller pulley on the eaton? You already have the snub and idlers. Swap the pulley and belt and get a new tune. I would ditch the Predator and pick up an SCT.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
It depends on what your HP goals are. Looking at your sig, you are still running the stock pulley on the eaton. I don't think there is a need to change the injectors or TB. If you were going to port the eaton, then there would be a need for new injectors and a TB. I think the stock gears are fine, I wouldn't swap them.

Have you thought about running a smaller pulley on the eaton? You already have the snub and idlers. Swap the pulley and belt and get a new tune. I would ditch the Predator and pick up an SCT.

What are your thoughts on a pulley combo with a 8 lower, the stock eaton is putting just over 14 psi of boost now with the lower so she s pretty much at peak. I'll definitely look into the SCT tuner.
Thanks!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd suggest keeping the stock 3:55 gears, there proven to be an all around good gear for these cars. Also if you plan on doing the diff cover, you should also consider the FTBR diff bushings at the same time. The fronts are aluminum and you will hear some gear noise because of them, but it helped eliminate wheelhop in my car. Good call on SFC's and you should look into the H&R race springs!

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Check out Cobra Bob's Terminator FAQs. Link below. See section 3.6.1

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

If you are at 14 lb. of boost already, you probably don't want to change the pulley on the eaton. A stock, non-ported eaton should be no more than 15 lb. of boost. Have you thought about porting the eaton?

Yea I've read through bobs FAQs. Certainly good information. I guess performance wise porting is the next thing I'm leaning towards. But I'm gonna beef up the suspension/chassis first.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
I'd suggest keeping the stock 3:55 gears, there proven to be an all around good gear for these cars. Also if you plan on doing the diff cover, you should also consider the FTBR diff bushings at the same time. The fronts are aluminum and you will hear some gear noise because of them, but it helped eliminate wheelhop in my car. Good call on SFC's and you should look into the H&R race springs!

Thanks for your input man. I read up on the gears through this forum and agree on keeping them stick. When doing the diff cover is there anything else you recommend besides the diff bushing kit? I'll check out his website right now and scope out the price.
As for the H&R race springs this seems to be the most popular choice for verts. (Need to get rid of that 4x4 look:( )

Thanks!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for your input man. I read up on the gears through this forum and agree on keeping them stick. When doing the diff cover is there anything else you recommend besides the diff bushing kit? I'll check out his website right now and scope out the price.
As for the H&R race springs this seems to be the most popular choice for verts. (Need to get rid of that 4x4 look:( )

Thanks!

I also did the MM caster camber plates with the springs in. I left all iso's in place. The car handles much better and drives just as good if not better than it did with stock springs. Eventually I may do the whole FTBR kit. Your on the right track!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Forget the injectors, TB.......no need for that right now. You are started in the right direction with the subframes.....

Wheel hop is a big problem in these cars that you need to address. Why have all this power if you can't put it to the ground?

You need to add to your list:
H&R lowering springs
Maximum motorsports caster camber plates ( also the extended dust boot covers )
Full Tilt Boogie racing bushing set
Proper alignment

I am also not crazy about your stock upper and 8lb lower set up. I run the 2.93 upper and 4lb lower combo...tried and true combo that makes about 15 psi with a proper tune.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
I also did the MM caster camber plates with the springs in. I left all iso's in place. The car handles much better and drives just as good if not better than it did with stock springs. Eventually I may do the whole FTBR kit. Your on the right track!

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Forget the injectors, TB.......no need for that right now. You are started in the right direction with the subframes.....

Wheel hop is a big problem in these cars that you need to address. Why have all this power if you can't put it to the ground?

You need to add to your list:
H&R lowering springs
Maximum motorsports caster camber plates ( also the extended dust boot covers )
Full Tilt Boogie racing bushing set
Proper alignment

I am also not crazy about your stock upper and 8lb lower set up. I run the 2.93 upper and 4lb lower combo...tried and true combo that makes about 15 psi with a proper tune.

I agree with what you're saying, and suspension mods is my direction now. Everything you mentioned is exactly what I'm currently lookin at now. Thanks for your input
As for the 8lb lower, I am happy with the results but it was something I purchased before doing research, way before I found out about this place(did it to my previous lightning, was told by a vendor this was the best bet to eliminate belt slip)with what I know now I would have went with a smaller lower and upper combo like you mentioned.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Killer Chiller, Reische Stat, Silicone Cooling Hoses, and cut OE springs.

I'm still a firm believer that h&r race springs will give better handling and less wheel hop than cut oem springs. I actually think my ride quality improved as well over stock springs. I'm not sure if ride would suffer from stock cut springs?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Ride doesn't' suffer with cut OE as they are linear not progressive. I'm speaking from a drag racing point of view as far as springs and seeing good short times out of cut units.

I replaced the Steeda Sport fronts that came on my car with OE cut and the ride improved dramatically. Retained the Steeda rears.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
If you're looking for all around handling, do the shocks and struts while you're doing springs. They're pretty easy and if you match your valve rate with the springs you'll have a very smooth riding car. I did Bilstein B6 (HD) with my H&R race springs, MM C/C plates, and Stiffler's fit system this year and holy cow, the damn thing turns!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your planned suspension mods is a smart next step. Personally, I wouldn't port your Eaton. Consider keeping the 8lb. lower and existing motor mods and save for maybe a TVS or Whipple. You're going to love the lowered stance after the H&R install.

Users who are viewing this thread