HELP WITH NEW EDGE COBRA SWAP

salstage2

Established Member
How’s it going guys, I rarely post on here mostly I just lurk around and see the for sale posts but I have done just about everything in regards to this swap and I still have no solution. Let me get right into it.

I recently swapped a 99 cobra engine into my 01 Roush. I COMPLETELY redid the block from top to bottom. Everything is new on the damn block. the major parts on the car are

Stage 1 cams
Bbk Tb
jlt ram air
Lightning maf
Completely redone heads
Mac Longtubes and prochamber

So here’s my problem,

The car will start but will die shortly afterwards. IF I hold the gas at startup and keep it around 1500rpm for about a minute the car will then hold on it’s own. If I drive the car sometimes it will die when coming to a stop and pushing in the clutch. It also breaks up on throttle when driving. I have a feeling that I’m 99% sure it’s tune related. Keep in mind 99% of the the parts on the swap are brand new so I doubt they’ll be faulty as well as I did Some things to make sure it wasn’t anything else

TPS sensor was fine
Brand new iac
Brand new maf
Brand new hoses
New fuel pump
NO vacuum leak
No blown fuses

Is there anything I’m missing to check or what would your guys’ opinions be? As mentioned I’m fairly certain it’s the tune but even then I put a tune that my brothers Mach 1 had that’s has the SAME mods my roush has except for the cams but it still has that problem. So I’m not sure if it can be anything else but the tune. I have the appt for the tune coming up soon but I wanted to see if there was anything else I should try before taking it to the dyno and what not. Any and all help will be appreciated thanks!

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Sounds like it’s tune related to me. But who put the cams and top end together? Could be degreed wrong or off a tooth.

salstage2

Established Member
Hey thanks for the quick responses! My brother and I put the top end and cams back together. We’re pretty sure we got the cams on right because when installing them we triple checked everything. We kept the degreeing stock and everything so I’m not sure about it. I’ll relay the message though and see. I had no idea the cams could do that? This isn’t my first engine build and swap either, this is my 4th one. It is however my first one with cams. Anything else it might be?

wkornf

Established Member
try your factory cobra maf. but regardless you probably need a tune. my Cobra needed a few tune updates to get it to stop dying with clutch in coasting.
still happens once in a rare while.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wkornf

Established Member
also if you have a fuel pressure gauge, watch it while cruising. I had serious braking up issues when my pump was dying

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Hey thanks for the quick responses! My brother and I put the top end and cams back together. We’re pretty sure we got the cams on right because when installing them we triple checked everything. We kept the degreeing stock and everything so I’m not sure about it. I’ll relay the message though and see. I had no idea the cams could do that? This isn’t my first engine build and swap either, this is my 4th one. It is however my first one with cams. Anything else it might be?
The lift and duration is different, which means the timing is different.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

salstage2

Established Member
I’ll probably check the fuel while coasting and see what happens there. When I first got the car running the car was sputtering and would brake up in around 2nd gear. Then I did the pre-loaded tune and now it only brakes midway through 3rd and 4th so this further leads me to believe everything is tune related and I try not to drive the car as much until I get the full tune on it in a few weeks. The engine only has about 10 miles on it. I don’t have an old cobra maf since I went from 2v to 4v and just bought a new lightning maf.

Man I swear these cars will be the death of me lol

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Get a tune in it soon so you can break it in properly. It would suck to have to pull the engine again because the rings didn't get a chance to seat.

salstage2

Established Member
D9BF432A-CCFA-48B4-B9D0-BB8A030A81EA.jpeg
How’s it going guys! The appointment for the tune is set up for this Friday! Im so excited to see it finally get tuned and hopefully get all the problems sorted out. Over the last month I was actually able to pick up a Vortech V1 for a hell of a deal.

My new question would be, I’m going to end up selling the car some point in the near future to help put funds towards my house. Would it be reasonable to ask 18k obo for the car or? The car is in great shape I’d give it a 8/10, I don’t want to go into complete details since the post will be too long but I was just seeing what you guys thought since I don’t have any clue what to sell it for since I’ve seen a couple of my friends sell there 2v gt’s with and without a supercharger for 9-12k and the cars LOOKED mediocre 6/10.

Any advice would be awesome

I have attached a pic from a while back of the car to give a glimpse of what it looks like, since then I have completed the front grille delete as well as other mods.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
$18K is Terminator/Coyote money. Whoever paid $12k for a NA 2V that you'd say was 6/10 got raped... I hope your friends provided some lube with that deal... Routinely see good shape New Edge 2V PI cars go for $6k in the northeast...

I'd say you might be able to get $12k for YOUR car if its lower mileage and a real Roush and the swap was done well but the issue you will have, again, is that the market is flooded with Coyotes and Terminators are sub $20k in good shape now too.

Since you say you got a good deal on that blower... flip it and then sell the car as it sits. List it for what you think its worth... you can always drop the price. Maybe you live in some area of the States where the prices of these cars are inflated.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
View attachment 1571394 How’s it going guys! The appointment for the tune is set up for this Friday! Im so excited to see it finally get tuned and hopefully get all the problems sorted out. Over the last month I was actually able to pick up a Vortech V1 for a hell of a deal.

My new question would be, I’m going to end up selling the car some point in the near future to help put funds towards my house. Would it be reasonable to ask 18k obo for the car or? The car is in great shape I’d give it a 8/10, I don’t want to go into complete details since the post will be too long but I was just seeing what you guys thought since I don’t have any clue what to sell it for since I’ve seen a couple of my friends sell there 2v gt’s with and without a supercharger for 9-12k and the cars LOOKED mediocre 6/10.

Any advice would be awesome

I have attached a pic from a while back of the car to give a glimpse of what it looks like, since then I have completed the front grille delete as well as other mods.
Off topic, but where did you get the chin spoiler? I have been looking for that chin for several years.

salstage2

Established Member
Off topic, but where did you get the chin spoiler? I have been looking for that chin for several years.

As Scotty mentioned, the car has had it since day 1. It is indeed a real roush 100%. It’s hard to find the chin spoiler on its own but I have seen them pop up rarely over here on the west coast in California (hence the inflated prices as well). I have posted the car up for 16k and have had many people interested but no bite as of yet.

On a side note. The tune completely fixed the car so she’s ready to rock and roll for whoever owns it next or if I decide to keep it I’ll probably end up putting the vortech on and attempt to push around 500-600rwhp.

Thank you all for your input as well!

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Cali prices can be higher but even then for the prices some ppl pay you could fly somewhere, get a much nicer car for much less money and then drive it back and still have saved $thousands. Or get the car shipped to wherever. A lot of ppl in the Termi/GT500 market sections do this. Its not as much as you think to ship a car.

Users who are viewing this thread