Help with misfire..Trade it or repair it?

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Sup guys and gals,

So here is the issue. Our 03 Lincoln Aviator with roughly 120k (km's) has developed a slight misfire on cylinder 6 @ idle and low loads. So after changing spark plugs, fuel filter, injector and swapping COPs its still there.

Took it into the stealership and the compression test revealed that cylinder six is rated at 60psi oppose to 150 or whatever it should be. The tech that did the inspection suspects that the old injector was stuck open causing it to hydrolock the cylinder(which i thought only water could do..?).

Their suggestion is to replace the entire motor, which will cost approx $8-9g's. So my question is:
...Should I take it elsewhere for a second opinion, such as a leak down test or find mechanic who has a boroscope to check out the internals?

...Trade it in

..or replace the motor?

So whuddya guys think?

Thx

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
that is a very common problem on the 3v 5.4L motors. the injectors stay open when cold and the rod bends, as the combustion chamber is full of fuel. usually after we would fix the motor, the truck would come back in about a week later for new cats.

its up to you as to wether to replace the motor or trade it in. in the US, ford reman powertrain parts have a 3 year 100k mile warranty, if you plan on keeping it. since the motor is basically the same as an automatic mach 1 of the same year, all the common mods to mustang 4v motors apply id you want to go that route.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
that is a very common problem on the 3v 5.4L motors. the injectors stay open when cold and the rod bends, as the combustion chamber is full of fuel. usually after we would fix the motor, the truck would come back in about a week later for new cats.

its up to you as to wether to replace the motor or trade it in. in the US, ford reman powertrain parts have a 3 year 100k mile warranty, if you plan on keeping it. since the motor is basically the same as an automatic mach 1 of the same year, all the common mods to mustang 4v motors apply id you want to go that route.

Except it's an Aviator, which means it has a 4V 4.6. It is a Mach 1 motor, so I guess you just had a brain fart.

Anyway, I say build that ****er up with a whipple and have yourself a crazy DD.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
no, i knowingly typed what i did. i was merely saying that it is not unheard of for a leaking injector to cause a hydrolock situation. but i guess that since i work in a parts dept at a ford dealer i dont know what im talking about...

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
A reman engine is going to cost you as much (or more?) than the wholesale value of the car. I just don't see that as money well spent.

Did they say where the pressure was bleeding off? Is it getting past the rings, valves, or?

Any thought of a USED ENGINE?

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Building it up would be cool, but probably unlikely. Now If it happend to the L, thats a diff story :)
As for where the pressure was bleeding off, I am not sure. Would a compression test reveal that? or is a leakdown test req'd?

Where can I find more info on the IDS / WDS compression test?

I guess if we can't find a cheap reman or used motor, its time for a trade in.

Thx again

musclefan21

Established Member
dude just drive it like that. I drove my 97 trans am for 2 years with "MULTIPLE" missfires.

you lose power and gas mileage gets worse. thats all.

edit: i read more, dude just clear the codes and just trade that thing into a dealership.

Last edited:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
dude just drive it like that. I drove my 97 trans am for 2 years with "MULTIPLE" missfires.

you lose power and gas mileage gets worse. thats all.

edit: i read more, dude just clear the codes and just trade that thing into a dealership.

Great advice.:loser:

musclefan21

Established Member
Great advice.:loser:

STFU! My LT1 ran just fine for 2 years. not as fast anymore. it is a great advice if you got no $$ to fix it.

and i highly doubt OP has the $$ otherwise he wouldn't have posted it.
:kaboom:

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Well, we do still drive it, runs fine other than at idle (crossing fingers).
Just deciding if its worth to fix it or just trade it in. I'm not sure if my dad wants to keep it much longer, hence a cheaper alternative. But, By the way things are going, its time to look for a new SUV..

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Here's your answer: Restore

Seriously though, I've known a couple people who have used this and it worked for them. Their compression issues were due to normal wear though and not hydrolock damage.

Still, it might be worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread