Help with fender stripe kit install

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I got the fender stripe kit from American muscle, came really fast and it was cheap. I'm looking for a little help on the install, I'm more of a wrench turner vs a graphics guy, but figure I can't use a hammer and socket to put these on.

I read the instructions, but my main question is, the stripes are longer than they need to be, so, do I put them on then trim them on the car? If I do that, with an ezacto blade, then how do I keep from cutting into the paint ... Do I wrap the ends into over the fender, like into the engine compartment up top and into the fender liner at the bottom? I tried installing one set, they're so cheap I got 2 in case I blew it, and the overall stripe(s) looks nice, but the ends ... folding them over they're not tightly adhering and I'm afraid to trim them with a blade against the paint.

Thanks.

Butter pants

Pfffffft !
Established Member
I put mine on the fender and when I was ready to roll them into the engine compartment and wheel well I trimmed off most of the excess with a new razor blade and left an inch or two on either side. I wiped the surface in the engine compartment and wheel well with alcohol to get the grime off. Hope this helps, I liked mine when I had them on my GT/CS.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
They are not that easy... Clean real well and wrap under the fender and into the engine. Lay the first one where you want it. Super easy so far. Getting the second one lined up is not so easy...

Use blue painters masking tape along the first stripe for uniform spacing. Now the problem... The second stripe is on different curves. You have to use a heat gun to expand the outside radii and shrink the inside radii. Good luck!

rotors1_zps15c0cf54.gif

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I thought about Doug, since I think they're experts with film, maybe I'll check with him. Thanks.

Yea, some heat maybe the trick. The install I did actually looks quite good, only thing is the part that wraps under the fender, is not confidence inspiring on the adhesion ... Since they're like $8 I figure I'd do it again so it's perfect .. or have someone else do it right. lol

Users who are viewing this thread