Help with EGR Delete throwing codes

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
I did an EGR delete and removed all that crap off the side of the Eaton. I got a new tune from my tuner and after I clear the dtc's they come back the second time I start the car.

At first it was codes P0243 and P0405, so ran a ran a jumper wire on the middle plug that was left after removing everything, and that made the P0243 code go away.

Next I tried jumper wires on all the other plugs and sometimes the car wouldn't start and sometimes it would but the P0405 code keeps coming on.

The tune is supposed to have the EGR turned off, and after I got the new tune I think it went from 4 codes to two.

If anyone is familiar with the SCT tuning software, is there more than one place that my tuner needs to go in and turn it off?

Anyone else have this problem after their EGR delete? Thanks.

TORQJNKY

I am not sure where in the software my tuner turned the EGR off, but I haven't had any problems what so ever since I did mine EGR Delete.

These are the code definitions for everyone else to chime in:

P0243 Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid "A" malfunction
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low

I would say re-verify your vacuum line connections with the EGR Delete write up (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/562225-complete-egr-delete-how.html) and make a couple of calls to a few other tuners that might be able to help you out. I think you can toggle you EGR on/off with your hand held SCT tuner.

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
I am not sure where in the software my tuner turned the EGR off, but I haven't had any problems what so ever since I did mine EGR Delete.

These are the code definitions for everyone else to chime in:

P0243 Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid "A" malfunction
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low

I would say re-verify your vacuum line connections with the EGR Delete write up (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/562225-complete-egr-delete-how.html) and make a couple of calls to a few other tuners that might be able to help you out. I think you can toggle you EGR on/off with your hand held SCT tuner.

I know when I tried the strategy tune in the X3 it was one choice to turn the EGR off, but even with user options open on a custom tune EGR isn't an option.

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
yup sounds like you have some of your line mixed up.

I have read every write up I can find on EGR delete about 10 times each. Lines are as such:

FRPS = bottom port on the Eaton
A/C = top port of Eaton
Boost guage= bottom port of Eaton
Top of bypass = bottom port of Eaton
Bottom of bypass = tried in the jlt and open to the air

TORQJNKY

I know when I tried the strategy tune in the X3 it was one choice to turn the EGR off, but even with user options open on a custom tune EGR isn't an option.

When your tuner does a custom tune, he can deactivate options in the custom tune that you will longer be able to adjust like you would on the strategy tune. He may have turned of the EGR toggle option on your custom tune because you no longer had the EGR and there would be no reason for you to turn it on/off any longer and he did or thought he turned off the EGR for you.

You shouldn't have to jumper any of the pins on the plugs. I actually cut my plugs off and put heat shrink on the ends of the wires and tucked them in the wire run. It looks like you have every thing hooked up correctly. Check to see that you don't have a vacuum line kinked or leak. That's about all I can think of.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You have everything hooked up right.Like TORQJNKY said you shouldn`t have to mess with the plugs.I just left mine kinda hidden.You can`t mess with the EGR yourself,that something the tuner has to do.I`d try resetting the codes and see if they come back,if they do,i`d call the tuner.

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
You have everything hooked up right.Like TORQJNKY said you shouldn`t have to mess with the plugs.I just left mine kinda hidden.You can`t mess with the EGR yourself,that something the tuner has to do.I`d try resetting the codes and see if they come back,if they do,i`d call the tuner.

Like I said every time I clear the code it will start and no code the first time, the second time I start it the codes come back. I emailed him once will try it again, of course it's Thanksgiving weekend so...

D3 Racing

Freak Show
Established Member
When your tuner does a custom tune, he can deactivate options in the custom tune that you will longer be able to adjust like you would on the strategy tune. He may have turned of the EGR toggle option on your custom tune because you no longer had the EGR and there would be no reason for you to turn it on/off any longer and he did or thought he turned off the EGR for you.

You shouldn't have to jumper any of the pins on the plugs. I actually cut my plugs off and put heat shrink on the ends of the wires and tucked them in the wire run. It looks like you have every thing hooked up correctly. Check to see that you don't have a vacuum line kinked or leak. That's about all I can think of.

Not sure how a vaccum line would cause any codes as everything works that is supposed to work, and even with the CEL on it doesn't affect any performance that I can tell. Just don't want the computer running in a "safe" mode pulling all the timing out etc. Will try emailing the tuner again and see if he can do some more research.

Users who are viewing this thread