Help with 04 Mach 1

Joe0311

Hello all,

I'm in no way mechanically inclined so I'm trying to get some advice for those who are. I currently have an 04 Mach 1 and looking to up the power a bit and make her sound mean. So far i'm looking to do a full exhaust- long tube headers, catted X-pipe, and already have a Borla stinger cat back exhaust. To get more air/fuel I'm look to get bigger injectors (60lb), MAF, and a bigger throttle body. I already have the C&L CAI.

Also, from reading treads I hear a tune is a must. I have no idea what that is other than what I've read. What exactly do I need to buy for a dyno shop to be able to adjust air/fuel for the above add-ons? I've been looking at the "Bama live wire TS". Is that what I need for them to do what is necessary for tune? Again, this stuff is new to me so i have no idea.

As mentioned, I'm not looking to build a race car, just want a bit more power and that great American muscle sound. Also, with what i have mentioned, what exactly should I expect (HP wise) with the above add-ons and tune? Thanks again for any and all help.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Well first, slow down & hang on to your wallet. I did Kooks long tubes & gained 35 HP. And it was very expensive. I had a shop do the install & got ceramic coated headers.
Then, added a P1sc Procharger. Makes for a fun street car.
What's your power goal & how much do you want to spend?
I'm on stock injectors, stock gears, stock exhaust. But the headers make it sound good. I quit right there, for now anyway.
If you do TB swap, I'm sure a tune adjustment will be needed. I'm still on stock TB.
If you want good sound, the exhaust mods you describe will get that. Power? You'll not gain much.
Boost will. But it's pricey.
Exhaust, gears-lower, and a good tune will make you smile. I'm on stock gear, might lower it in time.
But Bama, hell no! Do not do a Bama tune. Ever.
I'd contact VMP and or Bj and get a quality tune. Don't skip this step & be a statistic.
Most of all, slow down & enjoy the great Mach 1.
Edit: Venomous Consulting, google it and send Bj an email. Or, 352-800-4407
He's mainly a GT 500 tuner. The best on this planet. Tell him what you have, and your goals. He'll shoot you straight.
Tell him COOL COBRA sent you. You'll be in good hands.

Last edited:

Joe0311

Well first, slow down & hang on to your wallet. I did Kooks long tubes & gained 35 HP. And it was very expensive. I had a shop do the install & got ceramic coated headers.
Then, added a P1sc Procharger. Makes for a fun street car.
What's your power goal & how much do you want to spend?
I'm on stock injectors, stock gears, stock exhaust. But the headers make it sound good. I quit right there, for now anyway.
If you do TB swap, I'm sure a tune adjustment will be needed. I'm still on stock TB.
If you want good sound, the exhaust mods you describe will get that. Power? You'll not gain much.
Boost will. But it's pricey.
Exhaust, gears-lower, and a good tune will make you smile. I'm on stock gear, might lower it in time.
But Bama, hell no! Do not do a Bama tune. Ever.
I'd contact VMP and or Bj and get a quality tune. Don't skip this step & be a statistic.
Most of all, slow down & enjoy the great Mach 1.
Again, that's why I'm reaching out because I don't know much about this stuff. I'm not looking to to go with boost, I just want bolt-ons to add that mean sound and give a little power. How exactly do I go about getting a tune? even with headers and what I have now, I have heard you need some sort of tuner so a dyno shop can adjust air/fuel? Or do they do that themselves without a programmer?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
^^Since you'll need a good tune, contact Bj. You can meet your goals easily with one quality swoop. So many guys go down the wrong road too far & regret it later.
Looking out for you here..., save yourself some heartache. Contact Venomous Consulting. 2 minutes into the call, you'll see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread