Help with 03 chip

raiders03

Banned
I was curious what chip would work the best with exaust and cold air only. Do certain places program chips differentely depending on your after market parts? I know most people perfer to also get a blower pulley but I fear voiding the warranty so I am going with only a chip. How much should I expect to get at the wheels with these few mods. I am going with a Magnaflow X-pipe and Borla Cat back system.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Check out Amazon Racing, Rick has a nice Diablo tune for non pulley applications. Jim V and a couple of the guys are in the 430+ HP range with the complete magnaflow exhaust, the chip and the Amazon air filter with shield.

JT

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Not to burst your bubble, but I think a chip can void your warranty as well as any pulley can. Anyone have any confirmation of this?????????

Last edited:

raiders03

Banned
Isn't increasing your boost more dangerous to your engine than anything else? Seems like a chip would not be a big deal.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed
Not to burst your bubble, but I think a chip can void your warranty as well as any pulley can. Anyone have any confirmation of this?????????

Nope. I can't confirm this. Jerry at Fordchip.com turned off the "intruder alert" code when he flashed my computer. Any dealer reading or clearing codes in my computer will not be able to tell it was flashed. The unit will act and respond as if nothing happened.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
NEEDSPEED,<MY 2 cents. I have read that there are laws protecting people who put aftermarket parts on their cars. Example: If I were to put on a cat back system and something with my braking system goes bad the dealer cannot say that my warranty for my brakes is null and void because I put on a cat back system.I am protected agaist that as a consumer. THey would have to prove that the result of me putting on a cat back was the reason that my brakes went out. Meaning if one has nothing to do with the other you should be ok. Another example: Someone puts a chip on their car and their whole electrical system fails.IF you have a dick of service rep and the dealer is able to prove somehow that the chip that you put on your car had to do with the malfunction of your electrical system, they can possibly make the decision to not honor your warranty for the electrical system.SO if you have something break on your car and you might think that the mods you have may have something to do with what went wrong I suggest you think about removing the mods that could have caused the problem before bringing it in,just in case they want to mess with you. I also feel a big part of it is who you deal with at your local Ford Service Dept. Some people can be dicks and others will work with you . Im my case I have plenty of mods and my car has been in the shop several times to get repairs.(sometimes a repeat procedure)Thank GoD I have an awesome service rep who is willing to work with me. Feel out your service guy by asking some what if's. (what if I put on exhaust, what if I put on a chip) See what type of response you get. If you feel comfortable with that person than stay with them. If not , get another rep ASAP.Special Note: Service guys like tips. LOL

Last edited:

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I understand having a good relationship with your service manager but if you change your program you change the way the engine responds therefore if the engine blows they have a case.

Also I keep reading stories of dealers seeing that you put a chip in your computer (wipe of the protective coating) and you’re caught. So you’re saying that if your service manager is cool with your mod then your warranty is cool. Doesn't Ford look into situations where they have to replace motors/transmissions?????

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed
I understand having a good relationship with your service manager but if you change your program you change the way the engine responds therefore if the engine blows they have a case.

Also I keep reading stories of dealers seeing that you put a chip in your computer (wipe of the protective coating) and you’re caught.

quick fix to that problem...buy another computer (or whatever the chips plugs into) when they come out...i've heard from other '03 owners (that used to work for ford) that you can buy another "computer" (i don't know what you call it) for about $200 from the dealer. then install your chip in the new (or old one it doesn't matter), that way they have no idea that there is a chip b/c when you take it in for warranty work, all you have to do is change out the computer (no seals are broken this way). someone let me know if i'm way off on this, but that's the way i understood it (i'm not a technical guy).

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods

Nope. I can't confirm this. Jerry at Fordchip.com turned off the "intruder alert" code when he flashed my computer. Any dealer reading or clearing codes in my computer will not be able to tell it was flashed. The unit will act and respond as if nothing happened.
So you've had your stock PCM successfully flashed w/a new program? I've had a few people tell me that wasn't possible. That is actually what I've been searching for! Maybe I should give them a jingle since JDM or no one else will answer my questions within a 3 week timeframe.

griffined

SVT driver
Is a chip REQUIRED with just a catback exhaust and CAI, or should that combo not create an overly lean condition?

I thought the stock computer could be reset, and relearn after the install?

I know a chip might add some HP, but is it a must?

Users who are viewing this thread