Help: whine noise while car is running/driving. Coming from motor area.

ATFPat

Established Member
Purchased the car and have been driving with this noise since. Asked the mechanic who believed it was the bearing from the supercharger but didn't seem concerned. Car drives great and no issues, just the whine.

Guessing its one of the pulleys, can't imagine its fine. Sounds cool though lol

Any insight would be nice! Thanks!

Last edited:

ATFPat

Established Member
Listened by ear and it sounds like it's coming from the supercharger snout or the supercharger tensioner pulley. It's a stock blower with a pulley, not sure what size. Spun the pulleys and they didn't feel bad. Nice and smooth. The supercharger pulley, rotating it back and forth motion, felt like it took a second to get parts moving inside? Not sure it that makes sense.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
One trick I use to locate noises like that while the car is running is to take a long wrench or breaker bar and carefully place ione end onto the blower snout or right where the pulley connects. Then place an ear on the other end. BE VERY CAREFUL. Don't get close to the belt or anything moving. Lol. The vibration will travel up the wrench or bar I to your ear and you can hear if the bearings are failing. Again, be super careful.

hotcobra03

Established Member
More info on car..many things whine...

Cold air intake
smaller pulley
tight belt
pulley bearing
vacuum leak

ATFPat

Established Member
Here's a video. I did pull the belt and checked the pulleys. All felt fine and smooth. Can I run the car for a few seconds without the front belt on so that the supercharger doesn't rotate? I may just order a new tension pulley. Car still runs fine.

th_P5110761.gif

Last edited:

fastlane1999

Established Member
Sounds to me you have a set of billetflow pullies on it my brother has 04 with them and makes the exact same noise I always just assumed it to be the double bearing putting in work I could be wrong to!

ATFPat

Established Member
^ Sounds pretty cool! Sounds like it has a cog pulley system!

More info on car..many things whine...

Cold air intake
smaller pulley
tight belt
pulley bearing
vacuum leak
Hey,
Does have a smaller pulley (Unknown what size/make) with a motoblu (Never heard of) supercharger belt tensioner. I did notice, while taking the belt off, that there was no slack to pull the belt off from the pulleys even with the tensioner pulled all the way back. Intake wise, it has the C&L intake tube into a filter (RAI) which is covered by a plastic box to shield from the engine. I may end up getting a new belt and supercharger pulley tensioner since thats were it sounds like its coming from. I'd have to look like vacuum but I believe it runs just under -20psi at an idle.

Also, purchased a car stethoscope. Nothing sounds like its crunching or anything abnormal. Someone told me it's the bearing on the snout of the supercharger. Good reason for an upgrade!

Last edited:

ATFPat

Established Member
Going to start diagnosing it/really taking it apart.

1) My first question is can I run the car for a few seconds with the front belt off? I know this will not allow the supercharger to spin nor the alternator however I want to clarify that if is in fact a pulley/bearing on the front somewhere however I do NOT want to damage anything.

2) If it is coming from something in the front and as I was told it was the supercharger snout, anyone recommend a rebuilder? I can remove it but reading up on the rebuild kits, looks like its a pain to replace the bearings/seals.

I also have another video but its just like the one I posted. Just sounds like it has a COG system which it doesn't have.

ATFPat

Established Member
REALLY AWSOME! Took the motoblu supercharger belt tensioner pully off and ran the vehicle without it. Sound went at-least 90% away. I noticed that the belt wasn't under so much tension as before. Im not sure if, with the belt S/C belt pulley installed, there was alot of tension on the snout which was causing the noise. Right now, there is tension on the belt however its not as tight as there was before.

Going to change the supercharger fluid, new S/C tension pulley and a NEW belt. Thanks guys!

Curious, do alot of guys run the S/C pulley to min. belt slippage? Thinking of tossing it.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
REALLY AWSOME! Took the motoblu supercharger belt tensioner pully off and ran the vehicle without it. Sound went at-least 90% away. I noticed that the belt wasn't under so much tension as before. Im not sure if, with the belt S/C belt pulley installed, there was alot of tension on the snout which was causing the noise. Right now, there is tension on the belt however its not as tight as there was before.

Going to change the supercharger fluid, new S/C tension pulley and a NEW belt. Thanks guys!

Curious, do alot of guys run the S/C pulley to min. belt slippage? Thinking of tossing it.

Yes the aux idler pulley next to the the blower pulley is to help prevent belt slippage. Don't get rid of it, buy a high quality unit like metco with double bearings. If you can afford it buy there whole 4-piece kit. There are vendors on here that sell metco and you could probably get a members discount.

Users who are viewing this thread