Help, we're stuck in gear

thndr8

Established Member
1996 Bronco 4X4 with 5 speed. I'm trying to help my buddy get his daily back on the road. Slave cylinder went out so he replaced clutch and slave cylinder. I've been in and out helping him around my schedule. Everything is back in but he apparently pulled the shifter out with it in gear and now we can't get it out of gear to finish the job. I tried manipulating the shifter with a screwdriver to try and get the shifter forks to move but to no avail. The plungers on each side move but the forks won't go fwd or rwd. I don't know what to look for in there or what neutral is supposed to look like. We're trying to not have to pull the trans again. Any ideas?
IMG_0005.JPG

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Is there any load on the gears? Can you rock the truck forward and back so that it is in the unloaded spot in the middle?
Or maybe even jack up the wheels so that they are hanging with no possible load on them.

thndr8

Established Member
No load. Driveshafts are disconnected and transfer case is in neutral. I've tried spinning the crankshaft to try and release some load.

oldmodman

Established Member
Wow!
It sure sound like the trans will have to be pulled and split. I wonder if something fell down into it while the shifter was out and it got lodged into the fork(s).

MG0h3

Established Member
Ive been through this but probably over 20 yrs ago. Isnt there a detent down in there or something? Is this the shifter with the sorta half ball deal that you spin to remove it? Locks into the top of trans?

thndr8

Established Member
Fixed it. Unbolted the bell housing and slid the trans back one inch to relieve the pressure on the input spline. Went right into neutral...

Users who are viewing this thread