Help: Too Loud exhaust ticket

rcksblr

Established Member
Hey Guys,
I just want to see what my options are. I got a $300 dollar ticket on my home from work today for having "too loud of exhaust". I live in Nevada and the officer said it's illegal in this state to have any exhaust work done that makes the car louder than it came from the factory.

Do I have any legit way to get out of this or do I just have to fork over the money and be done with it. Any help is appreciated, if your from Neveda and know something that would be great, if your not but have some input thats great too. Thanks.

ILLBITE

1 Bad GT
Established Member
Wow that is weird I have got a warning but they were full of it! I thought at least someone would get busted with a setup from pypes or SLP!

rcksblr

Established Member
Well it sucks yea, I dont really like the idea of paying 300 dollars, but if it's the law then I can understand, and i'm sure it is else he wouldn't have issued the ticket. We have metro bike cops that patrol the streets and are solely out there to give out tickets, if you get pulled over, it's a ticket for something guranteed.

I was hoping someone had a related experience where they got it reduced maybe or could give me some insight on what I can do. He started of saying I have to get the exhaust "fixed" so it's not so loud....after looking at the ticket I can just pay the fine. I just dont want to pay it and get pulled over a week later and pay another 300 dollars. My car is louder than stock of course, but not rediculous or anything. I wanted to tell him it sounded badass, not loud :)

snake134

i know some states have a certain db level you can't go beyond....but normally people get busted for having not cat which you do have.....and a bassani at that? i would've thought you had stingers and were going WOT lol...btw, were you?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
if I were you I would check out this website:

http://www.natc-ht.com/HotLinks.htm

that is the nevada automotive test center. a quick review shows sound level requirements for truck tires, inside cab noise, and motorcycles. I wasn't able to find anything about light vehicle exhaust sound levels. but they should be able to point you in the right direction.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
From what i searched it seems as if Nevada also follows the 95db sound limit law, you should check for yourself though, maybe you can get the car tested.

rcksblr

Established Member
thanks guys, i'm still looking into it. Having a hard time finding the exact law that states this. I contacted Bassani as well to see if they could give me some sort of documentation about being CARB certified in california translates into something over here in Nevada.

Still haven't found if there is some sort of DB test I can have performed to help me out either. Anyone sees or knows something please let me know. Thanks again

2004 Culebra

Established Member
Man I lived in NV for three years with my Bassani Mid-Pipe w/cats and Bassani Cat-Back. I have gotten on it pretty good (Not Burning Out) in front of Henderson, Metro and NHP and never even had an issue about exhaust.

I knew a lot of LEO's down there and I they would never pull anyone over for exhaust from what I know. The cops out there were actually pretty cool from my experiences and acquaintances.

Good luck with that...

Last edited:

Ronin5.O

Established Member
I live in Reno, and about two years ago i got a ticket for the same thing. All i had was a cat-back made by Borla, so i contacted them and they sent me papers saying it was 50 state legal. I took the ticket to court, showed them the papers, and they dropped it completely. Nevada is easy to get out of tickets, I even got a ticket for 109 in a 65 zone outside of beatty just north of vegas dropped to a $415 broken tail light ticket. My tail lights were perfect too lol. Just for showing up in court they will almost always drop it down if not completely. Plead no-contest, also make sure your calm and composed, explain what happened (in a non-objective way), and always appologize for everything!

Good-Luck!

04SVT

Established Member
thanks guys, i'm still looking into it. Having a hard time finding the exact law that states this.

You got cited under NRS 484.611-1.

NRS 484.611 Mufflers: Prevention of emissions.

1. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent emissions greater than those allowed by rules and regulations established by the Department. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

2. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1208; A 1971, 921)

Depending on where in Las Vegas you received your citation, you may have been violating a city ordinance as well.

11.28.260 Exhaust system--Modification.
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and the original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this Code.

I personally wouldn't cite for this (and don't know many that do) but I do use it as a reason to stop someone. Good luck.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well I dont know if a CARB sticker means anything to you in NV. When I had my Cobra I got a exhaust ticket with a Bassani as well, but I had no cat's (they didnt look, but it was louder) Ive been told by LEO's that a lot of them will pull you over for minor stuff like that to check for a more serious offence, like dui etc.

In NV do they give "fix it" tickets? I know mine was just a fix it ticket, which is only $10.

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
My wife got a to loud exhaust ticket last month. She went to court monday for it. Now this is funny. She asked the judge exactly what was the reason for the ticket. He stated, "The owner of the 2003 Ford F150 cut the exhaust and made it exit right behind the cab, therefore making the exhaust extremely loud and it should be exiting behind the rear tire like all F150's". Well my wife said that the truck is a 2003 Ford SVT F150 Lightning and that is where the exhaust is from the factory. The judge said there is no such truck produced by ford and those was stick on emblems from autozone. So he found her guilty and fined her $450. So we got a lawyer, its gonna be so nice to win one finally. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to show you how some people have no concept of the laws or vehicles.

JSZ03

Local Mustang Legend
Established Member
That sucks, man....I've only ever had one warning given to me in my old 93 GT w/ headers, no cats, and dumped Ho-masters....sounds like the officer was having a bad day or something...

99cobrasvtstang

Established Member
thats crazy, i stomp it in my truck past cops here and have never got pulled over lol, it has true dual flowmasters with no cats haha

Users who are viewing this thread