!!!!help!!! Throttle body issues

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
OK new here....tried searching for this didnt come up with anything, so apologies if i missed it.

Bought an 01 cobra w 86k miles on it 2 weeks ago...car runs great, so like i do with everything i gave it a full service, plugs,oil,filter,fuel filter,and so on.

now the problem i have a jlt cai ...took it off the trottle body to get the damn thing out to clean it and noticed my tb was stupid dirty...pulled it off and simply used a rag w a hint of carb cleaner and mineral spirits to clean it..put it all back on and now my car idles at 1k where as before it would hang around 800 ....also while driving when i push n the clutch rpms drop to 800 then spike to 1400 and when i stop completely drop back to 1k..

ive triple checked all connections and unplugged battery...what else ?

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
to add to it...i took the IAC off and cleaned it unhooked the battery (again) and put everything back together......still doing it....going to check tps voltage next

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
How many miles have you put on it since unplugging the battery and cleaning everything? The computer may be relearning its maps.

-Kevin

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
ab 10 or so not many...then checked my tps voltage....it was .96 and i found spec was .98 i belive so i adjusted it and no difference..im so ****in frustrated

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
My understanding is that the idle air controller (IAC) is notorious for getting carbon fouled on these cars so you may want to check and make sure it's clean. Also, if you think the throttle position sensor (TPS) is going bad you might as well try replacing it, it's like a $30 piece at Advance Auto. I had to look it up since I'm going to have to replace mine after I cracked it while take the intake manifold off to have it ported.

Good luck!

REX-RACER

Established Member
thats what im saying i cleaned the IAC and reset the voltage on the tps....still odes it....guess ill buy new ones

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you just meant that you cleaned the tb itself like the blades and around the bores which I know can get filthy. This may sound strange but kinda like brkntrxn said, if you cleaned out tha IAC AND had the battery disconnected the computer might be trying to reestablish it's trims as it might be seeing more air ( not blocked by carbon ) at idle now.

Also check and make sure the MAF wires are clean ( a little di-electric cleaner or even WD40 and a wipe ) and of course that the air filter is clean. I've heard of people having problem if they cleaned the filter while the JLT was off and put too much of the oil on and then that oil ended up on the MAF sensor wires.

I'd say check that stuff and make sure to get a good drive cycle in before you start replacing stuff ( the specific "drive cycle" instructions are around her somewhere ).

Maybe that helps and maybe it doesn't. Good luck!

Sideways_SVT

Established Member
Awesome. Ya by no means was I trying to be rude thanks a bunch for allthe info guess I'll drive it a while and see what happens. Thanks again

REX-RACER

Established Member
So did this ever get any better?

The reason I ask is b/c I took my intake apart to have it ported and I should be getting it back by this weekend. When I was taking the throttle body TPS harness off I cracked the TPS sensor housing so I'm going to need a new one. I'm also adding an MMR intake spacer and the battery has been disconnected the whole time so I'm curious if your problem ended up just needed some drive cycles to resolve and I'll likely need the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread