Help select my son's first car

SVT4ME

Established Member
Yeah, am thinking of getting a car for my 16 yr old son. Of course we want a car that’s safe, cheap and one that the insurance company will not charge us a million bucks to cover. Any insurance insiders recommend a certain car? I figure 4 banger with liability. Anything else I should look for?

p.s. for all the smartarse’s, no we will not get him a Viper, Vette, 911 or Cobra

250psd

Established Member
VW's I think are good cars for kids. Like mid 90's. They are easier to work on than the older one's, and a 16yr old won't be embarassed to drive one. Pretty reliable from my experiences.

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
I vote for a Ranger pick up with a 4.0 V-6 good power and very dependable, I had one for years! Every guy need a truck, haul the bikes,quads,pick up the keg(when 21 of course).

rcn4god

Swirl Slayer
Established Member
'04 cobra clone that has been babied and has a 12 thousand dollar custom paint job...hahaha.....under 65k miles too

Last edited:

Pacman

Established Member
I hear saturns are a nice starter. Very reliable and have a good reselling rate, of course that's just what I heard I never really researched it.

Grand Prixs are nice too

Mario93

Established Member
I had a 73 Nova SS with a weak 307, worked good for a couple of years and then I built a 375 horse 327 when I was a junior in HS. Loads of fun. Strong car and lots of metal wrapped around your butt.

96grimreaper

Established Member
I say Ranger or a 4cyl mustang. That was my first car at fifteen. Still was a good looking car and great on insurance. Plus when he gts older you two can do a 5.0 swap.

rcn4god

Swirl Slayer
Established Member
Pacman said:
I hear saturns are a nice starter. Very reliable and have a good reselling rate, of course that's just what I heard I never really researched it.

Grand Prixs are nice too
no way are saturns good cars they are plastic...i worked for a collision shop and u can take every panel off and behind it is foam.....no way would i buy my kid a saturn

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Something domestic. Plenty of good american 4 bangers out there, Chevy and Ford mini trucks with 4 bangers are bulletproof.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
get him a freakin geo tracker! the best first vehicle anyone can have, really makes you respect the road and the other cars around you since its short wheelbase, skinny, tall, and the entire thing is made of stuff slightly thicker than tin foil. plus, the best clutch of any car in existance.

Users who are viewing this thread