Help removing 3m tape residue from sail panels

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I removed some scoops that a previous owner installed on my sail panels and now left with the glue residue. I see a 3m wheel but it doesnt sound like it would be safe on the plastic panel. Also see 3m adhesive remover in a can but not sure if it's safe. Please help.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Goo Gone works good but you don't want it to sit too long. I've never had bad luck with it but I've seen other have bad luck with it. Try WD40 which is more recommended. After it's all gone wash thoroughly with soap and water.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Try a test spot with whatever you use in an as inconspicuous spot as you can first. (I too have not had any ill effects with 3M adhesive remover on different substrates, but always best to test first)

Then, soak a microfiber towel with the remover of your choice, tape it to the area with some painters tape-this will allow it to dwell on the area-then remove your towel and gently start to work on the adhesive to remove it.

Keep us posted!

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Update... Mostly successful. It was a bear to get off but it took both the 3m wheel and adhesive remover. If you look good, you can still see where it was since it sort of etched in the paint. I have a feeling the tape was applied before the paint was fully cured on the sail panel

Users who are viewing this thread