*Help* Rear ABS Sensor & ABS Ring problem. Rebuilt Differential *Pics inside*

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Hey guys,
I just got my Differential back from the shop. Had it totally rebuilt with new axles and a LSD etc etc...
I just installed it into the car and noticed what might look like a problem with my ABS Ring. It looks like it was pressed on too far. I really dont know. The ABS Sensor barely goes over the top of it.
I just spent 4 hours installing the diff into the car yesterday. I installed a girdle and added fluid after it was installed too. I really really dont want to have to rip the axles out to fix this.
Do you guys think the ABS sensor will still read?
And if not, anyway to move it without pulling the axles out?
Thanks
Rob
null_zps498d6513.jpg

null_zpsb044bfd2.jpg

Last edited:

stangbanger856

Established Member
Wow that's close man. Al I can say is leave it as is, get it on the road and see if it throws a code. If it doesn't then your fine. If it does just turn the ABS off in your tune till your ready to pull it back oit to fix. That's just me though.

stanggirl14

Established Member
I had to press mine on with a shop press b/c moser forgot to do it, I don't believe you can do anything with it on the car, and I wouldn't recommend hammering on them b/c I think they are somewhat fragile. I was worried about breaking them on the press. I agree with the other poster, try it and see if it throws a code before taking it back apart.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Did they use 94-98 axles, or 99-04 axles? It looks like the ring is pressed on all the way, and the axle is just too long. I'd be willing to bet your brakes wont bolt up. Do they?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
The car has no engine in it so I'd rather not wait 9 months to find out that my ABS Light comes on. I reused my old ABS rings by the way. They werent new. I just noticed the driver side ABS ring is loose, so now im forced to buy new ones and rip out the axles.
These Superior Axles should be the right ones for this car.
Can any body tell me if their rings are pressed on all the way like mine are?

stanggirl14

Established Member
The car has no engine in it so I'd rather not wait 9 months to find out that my ABS Light comes on. I reused my old ABS rings by the way. They werent new. I just noticed the driver side ABS ring is loose, so now im forced to buy new ones and rip out the axles.
These Superior Axles should be the right ones for this car.
Can any body tell me if their rings are pressed on all the way like mine are?

I am pretty sure mine had a small gap and were not pressed on all the way, when I put my new ones on I referred to my originals since I upgraded axles and bought new rings since I didn't want to risk breaking the old ones trying to get them off. I can check those for you tonight if I can remember.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
So these Superior axles came on the car when i bought it 4 years ago. The original owner built the differential 10 years ago. What confuses me is, when I took off the brake caliper bolts 2 washers fell off. This struck me as odd. Did these cars use washers on the rear brake caliper bolts? The washers were on the caliper side not the bolt head side

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ok, so it sounds like the axles are correct then.

Ya, one side has the washers placed in a different location to get the caliper brackets centered over the rotor. I think on the other side that didn't need to happen to get the bracket centered over the rotor for some reason lol.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible 4G

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I had thin washers on both sides with a total of 4 washers. I ordered 2 new ABS Rings from Ford. Hopefully that will fix my problem.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You can try unplugging the sensor, connecting an AC voltmeter to the sensor pins and spin the wheel. You should see an increasing AC voltage, the faster you spin the wheel. You can compare what you see on one of the front wheels to get an idea if it will work.

stanggirl14

Established Member
here are some pics of my original axles and abs rings, it's hard to see I know but I tried everything to get a decent pic
It looks like a slight gap, maybe 1/8", but it also looks like it's pressed down on the shoulder as far as it can go. Hope this is of some use.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Users who are viewing this thread