HELP! Pcv setup on supercharged 4.6 2v

Jensanity

Established Member
Hey guys, have been running my pcv setup like it was stock besides driver side valve cover being vented to my powerpipe. After numerous searches it looks like I need to change my setup, but their are many options on how. I just added an IC and am switching to a blowthrough slot style MAF. Can someone explain the simplest way for me to get gases vented, avoid pressuring my crankcase, and not make too much of a mess. Right now my passenger VC ties into my TB and the driver VC has a house ran to my powerpipe. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

-Jason

Wfc2009

Established Member
I went and bought some valve cover brethers from autozone and capped off the vacuum port on the plenum it was really simple and cheap and even looks good.

Jensanity

Established Member
Is there any downside to using this method? Without vacuum i've seen people say some harmful gases stay inside? Do they just go in place of the hoses currently on the valve covers? Thanks for the help, bro.

Wfc2009

Established Member
I've seen mixed reviews on weather or not it's harmful but I see many many ppl doing it the way I did and non of them seem to have any problems. I do agree that a catch can would be the best route but its hard to justify spending the extra $100 to buy one plus I like the looks of the filters on the valve covers it makes the engine bay look much cleaner

BADD281

Because Race Car
Established Member
I think most will say to simply run hoses off both valve covers and then T them into a catch can. That's the setup I run on my built vortech 2v car and it seems to work fine.

Jensanity

Established Member
In both of these scenarios the vacuum port at the plenum gets capped off correct? Thanks again, guys!

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Cap the plenum vacuum ports. The downside to running breather filters is the chance of oil most blowing on your valve covers.

I made 1 bottle catch can and I only invested about 25 dollars. I need to make another one for the other valve cover.

Bugsy C

Established Member
oil blow by

Buy a oil/air filter at Loews or Home depot...Use it exactly like you would a catch can..Buy 2 and put one on each side...Works better than an expensive catch can...

Stanger00

Established Member
Buy a oil/air filter at Loews or Home depot...Use it exactly like you would a catch can..Buy 2 and put one on each side...Works better than an expensive catch can...

That's a separator not a catch can.

I thought about this and am wondering what kind of vented cap you could put on the outlet port...

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I prefer the look to a nice catch can than the ugly ass separator from the hardware store. I run a vented can (moroso) with both covers routed to it. Both should work but I suggest running both sides which will prevent any oil from entering the plenum/intake and blower inlet.

02blownGT

Established Member
Breathers,If you want to get complicated(and more efficient) you can plumb it into the exhaust.Breathers works the same as a catch-can just without all the hoses,I don't like a cluttered engine bay so breathers are my preference.And i get no mess from my breathers.

Jensanity

Established Member
Hey guys what size breathers do I need? O'reilly had some fitting 1 1/4" inner diameter and some that were for like 3/8"-something. I would just go measure, but I'm out of town and trying to get the parts before we head home so I can set it up when we get back. Also what did you use for caps or where did you get your caps?

Jensanity

Established Member
Guys 'need a little clarification. If I run breathers do I removed the pcv valve and use a plug in breather in it's place and take out that thing on the driver side valve cover as well ir do I just slide breathers over these things?

Or if I run both sides to a catch can with filter on top same question. Do I pull the pcv valve out as well as the plastic thing on the driver side VC that the stock hose comes off of? Thanks for the help! Sorry if I seem dumb I'm just very new to working on and modifying cars. First Mustang :) I'm hooked already lol.

Users who are viewing this thread