HELP...Open track brake wear question...Thanks

batfat

Established Member
HELP PLEASE...Open track brake wear question...Thanks

Hi, Just did 2 day SVT On-Track event at Shannonville, Ontario (Canada). Started with Hawk HPS pads front and rear, stock rotors. Front pads had 2 lapping days on them, at least 2/3 left. Ran 2 wet and 2 dry 20 min hot lap sessions. Hawk's toast, 1/16 left. Put almost new stock pads on for day 2, ran 4 dry 20 min sessions. Stock front pads gone and rotors scored.....Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated. Going slower not an option! Thanks, Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:

Will's97

Established Member
Been there, done that. I told you the stock pads are worthless. You have two options, run a pad that can take the heat or slow down......................I would opt for the first.

Brake ducts will help keep the temp down but check out other pad material with the higher temp. I run the Hawk HT10 and they hold up well, but you can not drive home on them. Hawk recomends not to use other brands of pads before or after on the same set of rotors. There sight has temp ranges.

Try the Hawk HPS to get you around town and break in your rotors and then put some HT10 for the track. I think the transfer layer will be compatable. Then change back before heading home. You will love those pads after they warm up.

Then maybe you can keep up with that old 97 mustang.(forgot to get a back set of pads from you)

batfat

Established Member
Thanks, Do you have to use the HT10's front and rear or are the HPS ok on the rear as they wear slowly? One thing I forgot to mention. The rubber seals on the calipers melted off.....What are my option. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will's97

Established Member
You want a good pad in the back but it is not nessary to go to a full race pad, just a good pad. How do your back pads look? HPS are good choice. I have run 2 years on one set of back pads.

When some instructors run the 6 cylinder rentals on the track the back pads always wear out before the front. I think in 99 they put more byest to the back. That might be why Ford changed to a different pad that dusts alot on the 03 back brakes.

I melted the first and second set of boots off the pistons. Not really important unless you are to drive in the salt. I don't worry about them any more. I also melted the tie rod end rubber boot. (the replace ment of that is holding up) That shows you how much heat is being generated and how the brake ducts will help.

Get a second set of front Rotors if you are going to another event. They are a consumable like the pads.

batfat

Established Member
Thanks for the info. The back pads are fine (HPS), wearing normally. I was thinking about trying the HPS Plus pads for street and about 4 or 5 summer lapping sessions. Probably some noise and more dust but that I can live with. What do you think? Thanks

Will's97

Established Member
The way you were driving your car the HPS Plus will not hold up. I use the HPS Plus for the street and left them on my car at Road America for the first session. When I got in, I could not take them off fast enough. They do not have the stopping power of a race pad and the front wheels were black from dust. They can not hold up to open track heat like you will generate......the way you are driving.

Users who are viewing this thread