Help! On my way to the track, Red light ticket, Exhaust Ticket

serper3

Established Member
As the title says, yesterday as i was going to the track, i got pulled over and cop gave me a red light ticket and a fix it ticket for my exhaust being too loud. The red light ticket i am probably just going to go to court ask for traffic school plead either guilty or no contest. i actually entered the intersection while the light was yellow but i know i could have stopped. i know i will never win that game though... cop will always be right :fm:

my question though is what should i do in regard to the fix it ticket. can i just pay it off? i got the ticket in san francisco. if i want to make my car quieter, what can i do? i am currently running the upr mid x with cats and a borla stinger cat back. i love how it sounds, get lots of compliments etc.. i also dont want to loose performance so i want to keep the mid pipe. what can i do guys? i would really appreciate your feedback!

Fat-cat

Established Member
Only way to make it quieter is to get a diff cat back unfortunately. As for fighting the ticked not sure how the law works down there... some times they require you to go back to a cop station and prove you made the changes.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Im in the same boat buddy, i got a exhaust ticket but im running L/T and O/R and Flows and i have no idea how im going to take my car to inspection!!!!!

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
California and their crazy laws...... i think if a car has cats on it then it shouldnt be needed to change anything. Musta been a jealous cop

Black Sex

Established Member
Ask the cop when was the last time he pulled over a Harley or any bike for that matter. Those are louder than cars.

serper3

Established Member
the vehicle code violation i got is 27150 a). "inadequate mufflers". yea, they are very adequate thank you very much. i think the stock ones are inadequate thats why i am running these dammit. i am first going to try to see if i can get a cop i know or friend of a friend type deal to sign it off. next plan would be to just pay the fine. from what i read online, i should get my ticket in the mail with how much i owe; it should be about 100 or so. if i pay that, i shouldnt have to fix the exhaust. i am lucky i didnt get sent to the ref that would have been all bad. otherwise, if its a mandatory fix, then i will worry about what i need to do. i really like my exhaust and i am hesitant when i drive the car usually about the loudness but i really like it.

Black Sex

Established Member
the vehicle code violation i got is 27150 a). "inadequate mufflers". yea, they are very adequate thank you very much. i think the stock ones are inadequate thats why i am running these dammit. i am first going to try to see if i can get a cop i know or friend of a friend type deal to sign it off. next plan would be to just pay the fine. from what i read online, i should get my ticket in the mail with how much i owe; it should be about 100 or so. if i pay that, i shouldnt have to fix the exhaust. i am lucky i didnt get sent to the ref that would have been all bad. otherwise, if its a mandatory fix, then i will worry about what i need to do. i really like my exhaust and i am hesitant when i drive the car usually about the loudness but i really like it.

If you need to have someone listen to it take some steel wool and shove a ball of it into each tailpipe (after the muffler). That will make it alittle quieter. that is what they put in mufflers.

racebronco2

Established Member
Depending on which city your in they are not all the same. In palmdale a neighbor got a modded exhaust ticket. He had to go to the referee station where they checked out everything on the car. He had several mods on his car but most of the were either legal or didn't affect the emissions. He now carry's a folder around with him to prove to the cops that his car is legal.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
if you have to "fix" it just pick up a used catback, quiet of course and do the quick switch. may need it again someday

DisposableHero

Established Member
Does it require you to visit a ref station? Should have a sticker on the back of the ticket covering up the sign off section.

Even if its a ref ticket you can just go to the court and pay it.. probably won't let you do it online or over the phone.

I payed off my $600 modified emissions ticket at the window.

96lowbra

SN8KE B.I.T.3
Established Member
I had the same problem I was not going to take anything off with out a fight
I had cat's and bassani catback as long you have cat's their's no fixing ticket
I said that's how I bought the car the car passes smog no problem and the mufflers
are street legal

ericyow

Established Member
For what it's worth, you might fight the red light ticket too. I don't know Cali laws but in tn the tca reads that you run the light only if t is red when your front axle crosses the widest white line before entering the intersection. Perhaps the Cali code readsthe same? If so I would take pictures of the intersection. You could plead not guilty then at trial drill the cop about where he saw you enter the intersection etc. I bet he'll get tripped up and the judge would let you off if there was any question. As to the exhaust...if it's a decibal limit, go to a speaker shop that can test it and get you a reading printed. You'll need to find out what the limit is as I don't know in ca.

Eric

(I am a tn attorney not licensed in California and am not giving legal advice. These are suggestions as to avenues you might look into. Seek the advice of a California attorney for more information.)

safe :)

Users who are viewing this thread