Help on headers

Fang

Established Member
So I have the Lethal offroad x pipe and some Borla axle backs. Thinking of going to headers but want to make sure I can bolt up by my stock cats to them. Any particular set up that I need to stick with? Thanks.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
If going to LT headers I believe you would have to get a muffler shoe fab something up if you want to keep the stock cats. Totally different connection system.

1st usa car

Established Member
You are wasting your time and money if you get headers and dont get LT headers... and if you get them and add cats.... what is the point???

Fang

Established Member
I will need to get emissions soon and wanted the option to switch it over when that happens. I know the headers are a pain to put in. Thought it would be easier to just swap out the mid pipe then do the test, then go back.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Run Kooks LT's, " green " catted X pipe, & stock mufflers on both cars.
N.J. is an inspection state, plugs into the OBDII port to verify everything is enabled........no tailpipe sniffer.
I do nothing to the car for inspection, as the 02's are turned on & it throws no codes.

Fang

Established Member
N.J. is an inspection state, plugs into the OBDII port to verify everything is enabled........no tailpipe sniffer.
I do nothing to the car for inspection, as the 02's are turned on & it throws no codes.

They are sniffing here....

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Fang, I haven't gone to LTs for precisely this reason. I haven't been able to confirm with anyone that they have passed a sniffer test with LTs and green cats. I hate our inspection system here. I do not trust minimally paid state employees to drive my cars on dynos to run the sniffer.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
With LT headers...does anyone know the average HP difference between high flow cats and an off road pipe on an otherwise identical stock-ish car?

RBB

Established Member
I run Stainless Works headers and have some catted lead pipes that I swap on whenever I have to pass emissions. Soon as I'm done, I bring it back home and put the catless leads back on. No big deal, takes literally 15 minutes to get under the car and do it. Might be something you want to look in to.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Did you have any mods to your exhaust done already? I think we're local and I'd love to hear before & after!

sleek98

Established Member

Do you have any pictures on them installed, looking for steering shaft and frame rail clearance. I am deciding between Kooks and Dynatechs. I think I want to go with the kooks but have read that some guys had to cut off a bolt head on the oil cooler. Did your installer (or yourself) have any issues like that?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Do you have any pictures on them installed, looking for steering shaft and frame rail clearance. I am deciding between Kooks and Dynatechs. I think I want to go with the kooks but have read that some guys had to cut off a bolt head on the oil cooler. Did your installer (or yourself) have any issues like that?
I don't have any pics showing the area you're interested in.
The headers were installed @ my tuner's shop www.teamjdm.com pretty sure no bolt heads were cut off.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I run Stainless Works headers and have some catted lead pipes that I swap on whenever I have to pass emissions. Soon as I'm done, I bring it back home and put the catless leads back on. No big deal, takes literally 15 minutes to get under the car and do it. Might be something you want to look in to.

Tell me about the test in Virginia. Tailpipe sniffer? Two speed idle? Dyno? OBD2 only? The VA DMV website is non-committal to what one might encounter. They seem to imply one could get one or all of the above tests. Thanks

RBB

Established Member
Tell me about the test in Virginia. Tailpipe sniffer? Two speed idle? Dyno? OBD2 only? The VA DMV website is non-committal to what one might encounter. They seem to imply one could get one or all of the above tests. Thanks
It depends on your county. Most counties in VA only do a visual inspection, which is what we have where I live. When you get a little closer to DC, they actually have emissions tests (sniffers, OBD, etc), which vary by the county. There's not just one standard for the entire state.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member

I just finished up kooks 1 7/8 on my 2011. They cleared the oil cooler bolt by a small margin but it's still clear of it. The updated instructions included with the headers made no mention of having to grind it down either. No issues with fitting the stock steering shaft back through.

Users who are viewing this thread