help on building a 302 turbo engine

mata

Established Member
the project is to build an engine, aiming for around 500-600hp based off a 302 with a 61mm turbo kit , unfortunately, i`ve never researched a single thing about a setup like this

any ideas on where to start looking at?

as mentioned, it would be based off a 302 engine, and a 61mm turbo aiming for 500-600hp.....the rest of the variables are not decided, and the budged for this thing is not as tight.

Unfortunately for me, I have a dsm background, and I am pretty sure a lot of ideas do not apply the same way when building a 302...and this being the only ford forum that i visit almost on a daily basis.....opted to ask this question here.

thanks a lot guys

Last edited:

Josh93

Established Member
I'd go with a good block(aftermarket or mexican block) with a main girgle and a good head, cam and intake choice. Around 500hp is the max on most stock 5.0 blocks. The 61mm turbo might run out of steam if you go with a stroker build so I'd bore it over at the most. Spend the rest on suspension, and drivetrain upgrades and you'll have a fun street car. Just my opinion on things.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
get an upgraded block with at least forged pistons, find some decent ported heads and put some nice valvetrain parts in it like springs, retainers, valves, etc..and get a mildcam/intake package. Should be good to go

Krwy

Established Member
Check out TheTurboForums.com(former TurboMustangs.com)

I built a 306 w/ B&G Custom turbo kit hot side, Precision PT67 Ptrim turbo, I fabricated the cold side.

My motor is really basic. Stock block/crank/rods/cam, SRP pistons, TF heads, 1.7 rockers, TF intake, Canton girdle and pan. At 13psi my setup is projected to make 500rwhp. I'm close to finishing my car and dropping the powerplant in. There are quite a few member on TheTurboForums running the same setup with the same numbers.

For 600rwhp, Dart block, forged rotating assembly, your choice of high flowing heads and manifold and a FRPP F cam, you'll be at 600 easy. The smaller turbo might be choked up to make that much power, but a Master Power T70 would be able to handle the power.

Here is my setup.
DSC01010.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

turbomotor3.jpg

turbomotor1.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

mata

Established Member
sweet looking setup krwy

whats the deal with mexican blocks? i`ve heard this all over, but have no idea on why they are stronger?

one other question....around what compression pistons would be a good option for my goals?

Krwy

Established Member
sweet looking setup krwy

whats the deal with mexican blocks? i`ve heard this all over, but have no idea on why they are stronger?

one other question....around what compression pistons would be a good option for my goals?

Mexican 302 blocks have a higher nickel content, thicker cylinder bores, larger webbing in the block. I had 2, but both were well over .060" over-bored and I didn't want to touch them.

If 5k is your budget for the motor and the turbo setup, I dunno how you're gonna do it. Easiest thing to do, stock block, crank and rods, Trick Flow top end kit, and B&G custom turbo kit with MP T70($2500 complete for the kit). If I could do it all over again, or if I build another Fox, this is exactly what I'm going to do.

I've been into turbo stuff with the Mustangs for about 5 years now, so I do know alot about them. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

NXSVTCOBRA

for 500hp on a 302 I'd do the following
-stock block
-stock crank
-stock rods with aftermarket bolts
-forged pistons
-AFR 185 heads or small Twisted Wedge heads
-Master Power T70

Krwy

Established Member
Before you question Master Power turbos, you need to spend some time on TheTurboForums.com(formally TurboMustangs.com). There are quite a few guys running the MP.

livefast1

Established Member
why not go with a 351 setup, from what i understand the later model blocks are stronger and cheaper than an aftermarket block like a dart? you could also run somthing like a hx50 holset or a t4 hx40 or h1e which will save you some money on the turbo.

Krwy

Established Member
why not go with a 351 setup, from what i understand the later model blocks are stronger and cheaper than an aftermarket block like a dart? you could also run somthing like a hx50 holset or a t4 hx40 or h1e which will save you some money on the turbo.

A 351 would be my next choice. 69/70 351 block, would be able to handle 700hp or so. Maybe my 306 will let loose after a year and let me build a 351 based motor with a PT76 strapped to it.

Users who are viewing this thread