help needed on removal of alternator

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
as the title says, i need a how-to on removing my alternator. i think its gone bad because my car hasnt been starting these past few days without getting cables. the battery is new and i can hear the starter clicking but it wont start so im assuming its the alternator?

any feedback is welcome, thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the battery is used to start the car, the alternator SHOULD be charging the battery once its started and running. If you can jump it off again I do believe that auto parts store can test the alternator output with the car running to help narrow it down. If the alternator stops or isnt putting out enough voltage the car wont run (itll drain the battery quickly then die). Even though the battery is "new" it could still be bad

it should be real similar to my mach though

remove the belt
disconnect the battery
4 bolts up top to remove the bracket holding the top of the alternator to the motor
2 bolts at the bottom (dont take em all the way out, just back em off enough to slide the alternator forward
disconnect the electrical plug
take the nut off the terminal and its done

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
i might as well take both to the autoparts store to get checked.

the car has died on me twice in the past month while coming to a stop, can that pin point the battery or alternator?

Rentlyrent

Established Member
Could be either. If you've replaced the battery then that shouldn't be the problem. It sounds like the alternator isn't charging. However, before tearing it apart, make sure the plug on the back of the alternator is clicked down all the way. My wife's 03 GT had this problem and I replaced the alternator and it kept doing it. Finally I realized the tab on the plug was broken and it wouldn't snap. http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/pa-perform-alternator-0304cobra-04.jpg this link will show you where the plug is in case you can't find it.

BigEasy

Established Member
Make sure the auto store dont screw you saying your stuff is bad when its really good. Also might wanna check your "mega fuse" it could be bad. If its bad your alternater will show its not charging/ its bad.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
pick up a multi meter at a parts store and check the output to the battery at idle , it should be high 13's to low 14's volts . If that's good then your alternator is good . The battery alone with the car off should be around 12 volts . That should pinpoint your problem .

Last edited:

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
just dropped off the battery at oreillys and the guy said it was dead, its gonna have to charge for a few hours before he gives me an answer.

hopefully it is the battery and not the alternator lol its a cheaper fix!

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
I had a similar problem. Bought a new battery and if I didn't drive it each day, it wouldn't start. Took the battery to get checked and it ended up being a bad battery.

Users who are viewing this thread