Help needed...5.8L Shelby engine block part numbers

USV8PWR

Established Member
I am wanting to pick up an extra brand new 5.8L Shelby aluminum engine block to keep with my car, just in case. The Ford Racing P/N was M-6010-M58A but that part was discontinued after a year and is no longer available. However, the actual Ford P/N: DR3Z-6010-A is still available AND I have found this block to be less expensive than the Ford Racing one. Does anyone know if there were any differences at all between these two 5.8L Shelby engine blocks? While I believe it is in fact the same 5.8L block and that Ford Racing just utilizes a different part number than standard Ford does, I am not positive so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for any info you can provide! :rockon:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
They are the exact same. Ford Racing buys them from Ford, or possibly Fords source, and resells them under their own number. That is the case with a lot of FRPP Parts. The majority of their parts are simply sourced from Ford, or certain aftermarket suppliers who build the quality and design that FRPP is looking for, and/or built for FRPP to their spec. In most cases, FRPP buys OEM Ford parts in large numbers, which brings the price down considerably compared with the same part offered through Ford, and that's passed on to the customer. That's just not the case here though.

And yes, the DR3Z-6010-A is still available, it just takes a little time to come in.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'm not sure you can buy them OTC from Ford now without proof that you actually need one for your car.

Anyone can buy them. They're just a month or so out. I've ordered and received a few over the last 6-8 months, and I show 5 currently available in the Ford system.

USV8PWR

Established Member
They are the exact same. Ford Racing buys them from Ford, or possibly Fords source, and resells them under their own number. That is the case with a lot of FRPP Parts. The majority of their parts are simply sourced from Ford, or certain aftermarket suppliers who build the quality and design that FRPP is looking for, and/or built for FRPP to their spec. In most cases, FRPP buys OEM Ford parts in large numbers, which brings the price down considerably compared with the same part offered through Ford, and that's passed on to the customer. That's just not the case here though.

And yes, the DR3Z-6010-A is still available, it just takes a little time to come in.

Thank you for all of the excellent info Bud! :rockon:

I know where there are some to be bought:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1026643-5-8L-Blocks-For-Sale&highlight=

I'm not sure you can buy them OTC from Ford now without proof that you actually need one for your car.

Thank you SID297! However, that is way too much.

What is the cost of the block?

Tom

So here is the deal Tom, I can get a Ford Racing P/N block for under $5K shipped. Apparently, several companies bought a lot of them and have marked them up quite a bit. See Sid's post above for reference. HOWEVER, I can still purchase the Ford P/N block for under $4,000 shipped! And per 19COBRA93 they are the exact same block/part/whatever...just different numbers, so I will be going for a Ford factory block.

I just want to have one in case. I'm seriously thinking about doing some minor mods on mine and if the warranty is going to be jeopardy I want to be sure I have a block. I will likely never need it and it will just be a great conversation piece. Also, like firearms, it's not like these things are going to really decrease in value. My .02.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Anyone can buy them. They're just a month or so out. I've ordered and received a few over the last 6-8 months, and I show 5 currently available in the Ford system.

Just curious, when is the last time you have seen one actually just get sold to someone OTC? I keep hearing about the Ford Parts back order, and it always seems to be a month away. I have been told that dealers can only sell them to owners of cars originally equipped with the engine.

Thank you for all of the excellent info Bud! :rockon:

Thank you SID297! However, that is way too much.

So here is the deal Tom, I can get a Ford Racing P/N block for under $5K shipped. Apparently, several companies bought a lot of them and have marked them up quite a bit. See Sid's post above for reference. HOWEVER, I can still purchase the Ford P/N block for under $4,000 shipped! And per 19COBRA93 they are the exact same block/part/whatever...just different numbers, so I will be going for a Ford factory block.

I just want to have one in case. I'm seriously thinking about doing some minor mods on mine and if the warranty is going to be jeopardy I want to be sure I have a block. I will likely never need it and it will just be a great conversation piece. Also, like firearms, it's not like these things are going to really decrease in value. My .02.

Actually, Rehagen Racing bought the last of Ford Racing's supply of 5.8L blocks (other than them holding 1 or 2 back for Cobra Jet owners). There's not that many out there, and I can tell you that FRPP is not getting any more. I just messaged one of my Ford contacts and I'll see if I can get any more info.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just got word that in order for Ford to release a block to be sold through a dealer that do indeed need to prove that you own a vehicle equipped with that block and prove that it is needed (basically a blown motor). That's not to say that certain dealers don't have a work-around for those requirements, but that's supposedly the official stance. I have not seen where anyone has been able to just walk into a dealership and buy one in the last few months. If someone pulls it off please post about it here. I'd like to know how it went.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Give Mike at BuyFordRacing.com a call. He doesn't always have items posted on the website. He gets me several obsoleted items for my Cobra Jet.

Diversified Products 734-459-0130

Daniel Johns

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Give Mike at BuyFordRacing.com a call. He doesn't always have items posted on the website. He gets me several obsoleted items for my Cobra Jet.

Diversified Products 734-459-0130

Daniel Johns

When FRPP liquidated their supply Rehagen Racing bought them all. Unless Mike has had one sitting around for a year+ he isn't going to have any.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
We just bought one from Downs ford . They got it directly from Ford.
Nothing special needed to get it from Ford they will sell to anyone.
They are available , we paid less than 4k for it.
Took about a week to get it.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Travis,
Mike buys many products in bulk. He has a lot of items around that have been discontinued for many years. Some of the items I've gotten from him have been discontinued since early 2010.

There have been a few items that he's been out of that we missed by a few days like the cylinder liners that Livernois bought the last 80 units of.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We just bought one from Downs ford . They got it directly from Ford.
Nothing special needed to get it from Ford they will sell to anyone.
They are available , we paid less than 4k for it.
Took about a week to get it.

Like I mentioned, the dealers who really want to sell them probably have a work-around.

Travis,
Mike buys many products in bulk. He has a lot of items around that have been discontinued for many years. Some of the items I've gotten from him have been discontinued since early 2010.

There have been a few items that he's been out of that we missed by a few days like the cylinder liners that Livernois bought the last 80 units of.

Yep, Rehagen just beat him to this one.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I wouldn't know if he's out of stock of this item or not(or if he ever had any stock). I don't need one so I haven't asked him. Just giving an option of someone who may have one(or may be able to get one) but would need to be called to see. Like I stated he's had items that no one else had before.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Just got word that in order for Ford to release a block to be sold through a dealer that do indeed need to prove that you own a vehicle equipped with that block and prove that it is needed (basically a blown motor). That's not to say that certain dealers don't have a work-around for those requirements, but that's supposedly the official stance. I have not seen where anyone has been able to just walk into a dealership and buy one in the last few months. If someone pulls it off please post about it here. I'd like to know how it went.

Like I mentioned, the dealers who really want to sell them probably have a work-around.

I don't know where you're getting that from, but it isn't correct. I am a parts guy at a Ford dealer (have been for 17 years), and I can order them and sell them with nothing special needed. I just sold one to BIRDDOC that I ordered in for another customer who backed out of purchasing it not long before that.

Just now I checked our DOESII system, which is our ordering system with Ford, and it shows the reason for back order is "Demand exceeds forecast." Then in another section it even specifically says "No order restrictions." So, without a doubt, anybody can walk in to their local Ford dealer and order one without a problem. It will take several weeks to come in, but otherwise it's available.

There are a couple Ford vendors here who could get one for anyone who needs one, and who could also back up what I'm saying.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
This kinda reminds me of how the dealers were when the 2007 GT500 came out. "Sure, it's worth the $20k over sticker because these are the last ones that will ever be made." Spread the panic and cash in on the ones who don't do their homework.

Under $4k new from Ford. I wouldn't call that a smoking deal, but I would say that rules out wasting $6k on one just because it's from a site sponsor.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't know where you're getting that from, but it isn't correct. I am a parts guy at a Ford dealer (have been for 17 years), and I can order them and sell them with nothing special needed. I just sold one to BIRDDOC that I ordered in for another customer who backed out of purchasing it not long before that.

Just now I checked our DOESII system, which is our ordering system with Ford, and it shows the reason for back order is "Demand exceeds forecast." Then in another section it even specifically says "No order restrictions." So, without a doubt, anybody can walk in to their local Ford dealer and order one without a problem. It will take several weeks to come in, but otherwise it's available.

There are a couple Ford vendors here who could get one for anyone who needs one, and who could also back up what I'm saying.

My info was coming from Ford corporate. Now whether their intentions make it to ground level is anyone's guess. I'm surprised anything actually gets done in a company as big as Ford at times.

USV8PWR

Established Member
This kinda reminds me of how the dealers were when the 2007 GT500 came out. "Sure, it's worth the $20k over sticker because these are the last ones that will ever be made." Spread the panic and cash in on the ones who don't do their homework.

Under $4k new from Ford. I wouldn't call that a smoking deal, but I would say that rules out wasting $6k on one just because it's from a site sponsor.

This is exactly my thoughts. Why would I buy a Ford Racing P/N block for $5000 to $6000 when I can still get the Ford P/N block for less than $4000. NOW, I fully expect this engine not to be continued into this next gen Mustang and therefore why I believe the blocks will evenutally become unavailable through any avenue. However, if the next Shelby GT500 does have the 5.8L Trinity in it, I will probably still pay a $1000 or so too much as they will be readily available for several years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread