Help: Need Dryer to Blow Off Car After Wash?

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Need some help. I’ve been searching and reading on google. There’s a lot of options and theories. I’d appreciate the wisdoms of you guys to set me straight. Some
Questions I have from the get-go

1) Corded or cordless?
I’m leaning cordless but I’m open.
2) What’s the deal with needing an air filtered blower vs not?
How important is that and how?
3) What’s the consensus when it comes to how much MPH or CFM needed?
4) I have have other products by them
And saw a Ryobi P2190 18V Li-Ion 90 MPH 200 CFM Cordless Leaf Blower work?

thanks

jdcobra

Established Member
Honestly I just use a leaf blower, lol. Anything to where it help minimize contact with paint will help you preserve it longer. I use the battery powered Milwaukee from Home Depot. It’s a little pricey but you can find something similar for cheaper.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have, a Metro Vac, back pack blower, and hand held blowers, both gas, electric (plug) and a Dewalt 20v.

If just focusing on doing the job, the Metro vac is the best. The heat, the step down nozzle, light hose, makes it work the best. Down sides, are cost, and needs power (if an outlet is not near by). Its a great machine.

Back pack, works, but heavy hard to elevate to get the roof etc.

Hand helds, might be best balance of cost, and effectiveness. The pros and cos of each are obvious (fuel, vs needing a plug). The 2 I have have similar air volume outputs.

The Dewalt is a toy, and not very effective. Would eventually work, but would be my last choice. Handy for a car show (why I got it), where you dont want a gas blower, and no outlets available (same battery also powers a small vacuum)

blue 07

Established Member
If you are looking to maintain a scratch free car, the blower method is by far the best. No matter how good a microfiber towel is, you can always run the risk of very fine scratches by rubbing anything on your paint. I use a Metro Vac as well with a 30 foot hose. Its heated and filtered air, unlike a back pack blower. Having a flexible hose is a must. Try getting the water off your roof with a back pack blower, not fun. Plus you can use the M. Vac to blow out your door jams, interior, engine bay etc. A must have if your anal about your paint !!

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Have this, works great.

upload_2020-4-9_8-43-45.png

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Master Blaster for me. Strong air, "warm if I want it," rubber tip, no smell from a leaf blower. The roof of the car is a pain in some situations as well as the hood area. The only issue with the Master Blaster is the price, kind of expensive but so is a paint correction.

blue 07

Established Member
hows this work for the entire car though?
That is from the same company as my Master Blaster, but that's made for smaller jobs, motorcycles etc. Would take forever to blow the entire car dry with the small one !!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i have a cheap 180mph 180cfm plug in leaf blower from lowes and it's borderline sufficient, it is due for another waxing. Once it has a good coat of wax on it I think it'll work muuuuch better. I dont think the ryobi is gonna work

mnewxcv

Established Member
I still use a traditional meguiars water magnet towel, then go over the lines, mirrors, lights, etc with the blaster, then a once over again with the water magnet.

and Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

I too have a meguiars water magnet towel, but I actually prefer smaller waffle weave drying towels because they are easier to ring out when saturated. These are my favorite so far:

The Rag Company (3-Pack) 16 in. x 16 in. Yellow Waffle-Weave 370gsm Microfiber Detailing, Window/Glass and Drying Towels - LINT-Free, Streak-Free

as for blowers, when I needed a new weedwacker I bought a 24v kobalt one that included a blower. I thought it would be a never use item, but its actually great. Bundle is on special right now:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-Piece-24-Volt-Max-Cordless-Power-Equipment-Combo-Kit/1000698090

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
The MB is probably the best but not looking to drop over 100+ on something I’ll use less than 5x a year (if that).

does anyone have any experience or knowledge of sun joes?

Works great for me. Much better then holding a full size leaf blower, which I used to use.

You’re able to blow your entire car with the mini handheld? I looks good but looks to be for smaller jobs?

I too have a meguiars water magnet towel, but I actually prefer smaller waffle weave drying towels because they are easier to ring out when saturated. These are my favorite so far:

The Rag Company (3-Pack) 16 in. x 16 in. Yellow Waffle-Weave 370gsm Microfiber Detailing, Window/Glass and Drying Towels - LINT-Free, Streak-Free

I could use some mote towels. What’s the vertic @mnewxcv when it comes to swirls using these towels?

mnewxcv

Established Member
The MB is probably the best but not looking to drop over 100+ on something I’ll use less than 5x a year (if that).

does anyone have any experience or knowledge of sun joes?

You’re able to blow your entire car with the mini handheld? I looks good but looks to be for smaller jobs?

I could use some mote towels. What’s the vertic @mnewxcv when it comes to swirls using these towels?
I just glide them over the paint with 0 pressure in a straight line toward the edge of a panel. When they stop picking up water, time to ring them out. Shouldn't cause any swirls this way. I find it best to do the entire car once over and go back and get any spots I missed afterward, rather than trying to get each panel 100% dry the first time.

M91196

Established Member
I make drying easier for me by reduced water drops. Keeping up with a hydrophobic finish(decent wax/coating) and that final flood rinsing gets 80%> of the water for me.

Then I use the other methods-compressed air and drying aid/coating/microfiber

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I'll start with this: The less you touch your paint the less chance of any defects being 'put' into it.

Cordless is much nicer/easier IMO.

Filtered vs non-filtered: Depending on how crazy/OCD you are about your finish--the filtered air does just that, it filters any dirt/dust/pollen/etc that could potentially be sucked in by a leaf blower and blasted onto your paint. Now, if you are in a 'clean' environment, or as clean as you see fit, it really won't make much of a difference. I always say to go electric, I don't like the chance of oil/fuel/exhaust/etc getting splattered on my vehicle by some off chance.

Drying towels: A dedicated drying towel, the likes of Griot's excellent PFM's, can be an extremely useful tool when drying your vehicle. They absorb tons of water, are easy to use, and if used properly, will not mar up your paint. (I would not use one on a dedicated show car however) Then you can use your blower to get the water out of the rest of the areas/cracks/crevices/lights/etc if you wish.

Hope this helps you out some!

mnewxcv

Established Member
I'll start with this: The less you touch your paint the less chance of any defects being 'put' into it.

Cordless is much nicer/easier IMO.

Filtered vs non-filtered: Depending on how crazy/OCD you are about your finish--the filtered air does just that, it filters any dirt/dust/pollen/etc that could potentially be sucked in by a leaf blower and blasted onto your paint. Now, if you are in a 'clean' environment, or as clean as you see fit, it really won't make much of a difference. I always say to go electric, I don't like the chance of oil/fuel/exhaust/etc getting splattered on my vehicle by some off chance.

Drying towels: A dedicated drying towel, the likes of Griot's excellent PFM's, can be an extremely useful tool when drying your vehicle. They absorb tons of water, are easy to use, and if used properly, will not mar up your paint. (I would not use one on a dedicated show car however) Then you can use your blower to get the water out of the rest of the areas/cracks/crevices/lights/etc if you wish.

Hope this helps you out some!
I think another big thing to prevent scratches and swirls is to know when you need a clay bar. Much better to clay stubbon dirt/contamination that to start scrubbing with a microfiber until it's gone.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
To summarize:

1)So corded vs non = personal preference
2)Filter vs non = depends upon if you’re using a 2-two way blower
3)Looks like anything MPH/CFM is dependent upon what your aim is. Whole car vs specific spot vs how long you’re willing to dry for
4) Waffle Towels are “as needed” and used to wipe any left over beads. But one when washing should minimize their touch of running over the paint contact.

With all the being said,
I’m Leaning towards something lighter and cheaper since I’ll be seldom using it. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread