Help me spend my money wisely take my car to the next level

PM-Performance

Established Member
SPEND MY MONEY!!:

Looking for advice for next logical steps to take the car if I am willing to dump another few thousand $$ into it short term.

I was considering a fuel system, but Im not sure its "needed" yet and not sure I want to spend $4kish to run e85

Car currently has:
FRPP Shortblock which puts me at 8.1:1, Trinity with stock trinity elbow, Kooks 1 3/4 longtubes, kook orx, stock catback, ID 725's, KB Dual BAP, JLT 127, CJ twin 65's, AFCO Pro with dual fans, Reisch 170* tstat, Exedy mach600 clutch, pump gas and lund sauce.
I was told the car had detroit rocker cams, but no indication of such by power levels and lope

Suspension I have the FRPP handling package with steeda springs, Whiteline adjustable uppers and lowers and Whiteline Watts link on MPSS tires

Not sure if going with a 10% and cams maybe is the best next logical step to make some more power? I'd like to get this car over 700 on pump gas on this blower, unless its a wise choice to just ditch the Trinity and go with something else, but I love the tq curve of the Trinity.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Fast Ford

Established Member
With your current list of mods and a good tune, you should be right at 700 rwhp. A set of NSR cams with your bottom end would pair nicely, then get a new base line and go from there.

PM-Performance

Established Member
With your current list of mods and a good tune, you should be right at 700 rwhp. A set of NSR cams with your bottom end would pair nicely, then get a new base line and go from there.
I thought so as well, but It hasn't proved to be the case yet. Car doesn't like to prove numbers, but I run with some damn fast cars.
I was told the car had Detroit Rockers in it already, but sure as hell does not sound like it to me, so this has been a sore point for me. The original intent was to throw a lower on it, but now considering cams as well.

Not sure the fuel system makes sense at this point though? I mean, ive got fuel, tuner has not indicated fuel is an issue, but he has mentioned life would be better on E

PM-Performance

Established Member
Possibly a " local " hands on tuner could get better / more out of your current set-up.
My tuner is as local as they get. I do not believe it is a tuning issue. Tuner cant control hot IAT's on a hot day. lol. Tuner can't control belt slip issues
I am working through things as I turn it up. Not a tuning issue though. They tune 1KWHP+ cars all day long.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Sounds like you need to address the belt slip before doing anything else.

Pretty sure I did. Im just giving examples here man.
Hard to judge when I datalogged in 50* ambient temps and then fixed the problem and now logging in 80-90* ambient temps. There is a diff delta there to deal with.
Its not like I am doing this blind. I have the parts, I have the data, just trying to figure the next best steps. Hence why I am asking for insight before just doing whatever my heart tells me to do. If people actually answered with data. lol

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve got stock motor VMP-R supporting mods and L&Ms and I’m at 760rwhp. I was gonna throw a built block and lower and was expecting 800 or more on pump. Honestly not number chasing tho because they’re just numbers when it comes down to it. I’m focusing on making 800 or more on 93 safely.

If you are hanging or beating cars you should t be numbers could be off. Take it to the track see what it runs those are the only numbers that matter

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PM-Performance

Established Member
I’ve got stock motor VMP-R supporting mods and L&Ms and I’m at 760rwhp. I was gonna throw a built block and lower and was expecting 800 or more on pump. Honestly not number chasing tho because they’re just numbers when it comes down to it. I’m focusing on making 800 or more on 93 safely.

If you are hanging or beating cars you should t be numbers could be off. Take it to the track see what it runs those are the only numbers that matter

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Gen2r?
I only got 1 night of baseline runs in and the car was pulling timing due to iats. Car was trapping 125. I’m a little disappointed, but have some tweaks to try.
I was thinking at very least doing a 10% lower and leaving it as is for awhile.
I think the numbers are skewed from heatsoak though.
A lower 600’s whipple 2.9 yote I destroyed on a roll by like 8 busses he then went e85 and diff pulley and made 800wheel and I just barely beat him. Maybe half a car.
He traps mid to higher 130’s.
Just none of the data makes sense.

MelloStang2010

Established Member
Fuel system and e85 makes a massive difference if you have access to it. The difference between the 91 tune and the e85 tune is insane to the point I dont even bother running 91 in the car even though its an hour drive for me to get e85.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Fuel system and e85 makes a massive difference if you have access to it. The difference between the 91 tune and the e85 tune is insane to the point I dont even bother running 91 in the car even though its an hour drive for me to get e85.

I deff wont ever drive an hour for gas. lol.
I run 19.5* of timing currently on my pump gas tune and 20.5* I believe on my 100 octane tune. Not sure how much they cram in with E85, but is it worth $3500 to make another 50-60whp?
I know its there if I ever need more, but its alot to swallow.
Currently there are like 3-4 stations within a 30-40 mile radius of me. Its not super convenient,but its getting easier to get. If you would have asked me 2 years ago about this, I would have never considered it in the slightest

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure the fuel system makes sense at this point though?

It makes the most sense by far. Cams are a nice to have not need to have and kind of a waste of money relative to gains they provide. And personally I would not do them unless you are going to do the springs.

Regardless, the potential gains from cams are tiny compared to corn. Save up for a gen2r which are a steal now as everyone is switching over to gen3r.

PM-Performance

Established Member
You mention pulling timing and hot IATs a couple of times. What are your cooling mods?

Also agree with this.

I mean its summer time in PA. IAT's to an extent are going to be an issue when its 90* ambient plus whatever the humidity is.
I have a reisch 170* tstat
Afco Pro HE with fans
Stock 07-09 HE pump
I have a large moroso metal resovoir that is paritioned off to keep the coolant seperate between the systems, just one nice large package

The only time I have seen it pull timing was at the track the other week. i did not use ice.
I think IAT's caused some low power on the dyno as well, but logs did not show timing being pulled on those. Just boost loss

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you're really worried about IAT2s, get a Killer Chiller and be done with it. There is no HE/fan combo in the world that will ever come near the IAT2s a Killer Chiller can provide, not unless it's backed up by an ice tank, but even that won't get as cold as a Killer Chiller.

PM-Performance

Established Member
If you're really worried about IAT2s, get a Killer Chiller and be done with it. There is no HE/fan combo in the world that will ever come near the IAT2s a Killer Chiller can provide, not unless it's backed up by an ice tank, but even that won't get as cold as a Killer Chiller.

Is that not overkill though? I mean who really runs a killer chiller on street cars? Who actually logs their passes?
Maybe Im too concerned over little issues.
I planned on trying ice next time at the track. Maybe even upgrading the HE pump. I hear 13/14 ones are slightly better and I forget the brand, but there was an aftermarket one that was supposed to be the bees knees.

Users who are viewing this thread