Help me pick a nightstand gun!

Stateguy

Established Member
This year for Christmas I received a nightstand gun safe with the instructions from my wife that I could fill it with whatever I wanted! This opened the door for me to finally get the full size.45 that I've always wanted.

First let me say that I already have a shot gun and agree that is the best solution for home defense but having an additional option is always nice.

I've narrowed it down to a few options and will be going to the range soon to get a feel for each. I am open to more suggestions and would like to hear thoughts on any of the three below.

FN fnx45 series
https://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fnx-series/fnx-45/

CZ 97bd
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-97-bd-...-grips-3-dot-tritium-night-sights-10-rd-mags/

And so far my favorite the H&K 45
http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/hk45/

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
All are fine. Buy whichever you like best.

Hand guns are a very personal decision. People always ask these vs. questions and the reality is "buy what works for you".

Now if you were comparing some old surplus handguns, like a a Star 9mm vs a Yugo M70A, then yeah, we'd have a ton to talk about in terms of function, safety and reliability.

But when comparing new major brands, XD, M&P, Glock, P-series, CZ, 1911, etc... they all work. It's how they fit your hand, how they operate and how much you want to spend.

Personally, I'm a 9mm guy because of the huge range of ammo options and your ability to shoot the hell out of it for cheap. Practice practice practice. Buying something, shooting it once and then just leaving it by the bed is more of a liability than an insurance.

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
Out of those three, my choice would be the H&K
If I were buying, it would probably be a Springfield Loaded full frame .45 or a full sized .45 from one of the high end custom shops.

fmylife

Established Member
The M&P and XDMs are at the top of my list with the XDM nudging out the M&P. The XDM 3.8 I've got now feels so much better in hand than the M&P due to the aggressive grip pattern but the trigger could use some work...that said, my M&P does have the Apex sear and striker block which make a HUGE improvement on the stock trigger.

I had a HK 45 compact that I carried for a while but the length of the trigger in DA wasn't very comfortable considering how long the pull was but I unfortunately have small hands. In SA though, that pistol felt amazing compared to all others.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I own the HK45 in DA/SA along with a Springfield Armory 1911 Stainless Loaded with some custom work such as an S&A Magwell, Wilson Combat short trigger, and a 3.5lb trigger job.

The HK45 is a great gun but I have small hands and it isn't perfect for me as far as using the safety/decocker.
If I were to do it again I would get the light LEM trigger instead.

I am a big fan of 1911's and the only negative is the magazine capacity versus other double stack pistols. If you need more than 9 rounds (8+1) is for you to decide.

Stateguy

Established Member
I'm a huge fan of 1911's but was looking for more ammo capacity. I was thinking full size due to it not being an everyday carry and 45 due to the physical size and speed of the round might be better suited for home defense (close quarters).

Thanks for the advice guys.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
She said fill it..sounds like you should just get one of each.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
My nightstand pistol is a xd 9mm....it works every time in various conditions...large capacity and smooth operating....but like others have said the choice will be up to you.....find a shooting range in your area and see if they carry the pistols you're looking at and shoot a few rounds thru each...this type of research will definitely aid in your decision....good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Never_Enough

Established Member
I've had several M&Ps. My carry sidearm has been an M&P40C for years. Also have had several XDs. I still have a XD40SC & it is my backup carry. I did own a HK40 as well & loved that gun. From your list, I go HK. However, check out the XD & M&P pistols as well.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Desert Eagle 50AE, that way you wont even have to get out of bed if you hear a bump in the dark. Just aim and hope your exterior walls stop it from hitting a neighbor.

Like other have said, put a magazine through each and see what you like. There's no one size fits all option.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I love my fnx45 (tactical). I own a xds 3.3 and a compact .45 XD. They are fine, but not even close to the same level of firearm.

Papaw

Established Member
For the last 10 years I've been shooting a full size Glock .40 cal. It has never failed to fire or had a malfunction of any kind even though I've put several thousand rounds through it. It shoots straight, holds plenty of ammo and they usually cost less than other brands.
I would have no problem recommending Glock.

Machdup1

Established Member
Go to a range and rent all three. Shoot them, evaluate them in your hand and then make your decision. Never decide on a defensive weapon without shooting it first. Each will feel different in your hand, each trigger will feel different, each will point differently when presented at the target.

By the way, God bless your wife, my wife is the same way.

I got this:

IMG_0601_zps0tgag8ky.jpg

and filled it with these:

IMG_0604_zpsldjom29w.jpg

IMG_0602_zpswkf3roho.jpg

nxhappy

Established Member
This year for Christmas I received a nightstand gun safe with the instructions from my wife that I could fill it with whatever I wanted! This opened the door for me to finally get the full size.45 that I've always wanted.

First let me say that I already have a shot gun and agree that is the best solution for home defense but having an additional option is always nice.

I've narrowed it down to a few options and will be going to the range soon to get a feel for each. I am open to more suggestions and would like to hear thoughts on any of the three below.

FN fnx45 series
https://www.fnamerica.com/products/handguns/fnx-series/fnx-45/

CZ 97bd
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-97-bd-...-grips-3-dot-tritium-night-sights-10-rd-mags/

And so far my favorite the H&K 45
http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/hk45/
out of those 3, CZ is the best one...

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
WIthout reading any of the previous responses... I currently use a 1911... but I had a Glock (.40 cal) prior and feel it was the more practical self defense weapon. I'd probably again go Glock if my only concern was home defense.

Users who are viewing this thread