Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
I'm looking to get into a new DD before the snow falls, and I can't decide what to get, if anyone who's owned one of these could shed some light on the subject, it would be appreciated.

I'm looking at getting either a 99-04 Lightning, a 2001-2003 Harley F-150, or a 2004+ F150 FX4. All three of these will be capable of handling my towing needs easily, and passenger seating shouldn't be a problem, but I'm having a hard time justifying getting one of the SVT's simply because everyone thinks they're gold and they're priced kind of high. What I really need out of the truck is comfort for a long drive (8+ hours at a time), and a "nicer" interior.
Any information is appreciated.

Last edited:

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Depending on your needs, The HD has the nicer interior (black with leather) and 4 seats. You can even remove the rear centre console and replace it with a 3rd seat if you need.

The Lightning is faster, handles and stops better.

It's a tough desicion so I have both :banana:

066.jpg

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I have a hard time justifying getting a 4x4 JUST because it snows, seeing as I'm moving to texas in a few months this might be the only time the truck sees the snow.

When are you moving? If its before the year is over, I would do it. But if its after, I would get a cheap mid 90's F150 or whatever till then.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
When are you moving? If its before the year is over, I would do it. But if its after, I would get a cheap mid 90's F150 or whatever till then.

Looking at about next October, I'll be going to school down there and will drive back to Kansas every once in awhile.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
Rust factor and driveability issues you'll get in the snow in either truck is why I said the FX4.

I have driven in 200 mile drive trips with no issues, comfort wise.

Like Adam said, the Harley has the better interior and room but the L is lighter and two seats. Its all in your needs.

99GTvert

Established Member
I have an 01 HD. Not awesome in the snow but it has a long enough wheelbase to keep you straight once you get going. It's comfy, seats 4 adults, and IMO the perfect DD especially for roadtrips. Not the best MPG but for a truck it's not too bad. I was between an HD or an L when I got mine and I figured you can always make something faster you always can, but you can't put in a back seat. That being said I don't think 02-03s are going for that much more than 01s nowadays do get the s/c one and have the best of both worlds. It's easily hauled anything I've ever asked it to (probably 8000+ lbs) and still comfy enough for dd. plus I think it looks the best! They are all good though, the 5.4 may not be the most impressive engine, but it's pretty durable. Mine has 165,000 and still going strong! Anything else or more specific let me know!

Jroc

Established Member
Harley/L in the snow, **** that.

I would say an FX4.

Snow Lightning, Oh yeah!!! :banana: Okay a really dirty ass snow Lightning.

295ahpf.jpg

But yes I agree that a L isn't really the best vehicle to consider if prioritizing snow travel. Still if it's got a stock VB, good snow treading tires, and a driver with some common sense then it should do as well as any other 2wd 1/2 out there. IDK if these newer trucks have T/C, but a L doesn't. A L isn't going to put any more power down than you tell it to.

Still if a L on a scale from 1-10 is a 3.5 or 4 for snow traveling vehicles then a Mustang Cobra is a 0.5 or 1. Defiantly L > older Mustang for driving in the snow.
x4ogg3.jpg

OP if performance isn't your priority then a newer F150 is a much nicer truck. On the highway my moms 08 Lariat 4x4 crew will get up to 22 MPG which is way better than what the old F150 can achieve. It's really quite impressive to be honest. Also you normally won't need 4x4, but when the situation arises you'll be glad you have it. I would defiantly rather have a 4wd vehicle for driving in the snow. I imagine the snow would be slick enough to allow the front wheels to spin on the road, but a AWD vehicle is better for on-road travel than a 4wd vehicle as with 4wd the wheels are locked together and will always turn at the same speed. In the dirt this is not a problem as the dirt is loose enough to allow the tires to slip. The asphalt don't really let the tires slip and running in 4x4 on the road can tear up the 4x4 system. AWD has differentials that allow the wheels to spin independently from one another.

Last edited:

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
^ don't think I'm gonna find an all wheel drive truck in my price range, so it looks like what it comes down to is which ill be happier with an 04+ f150 or an hd

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
As a lightning owner i can say this is an easy choice. Go with the fX4. Its twice as pratical as the other 2.

The lightning is crap in rain and snow, the interior is nowhere near "nice" and it only has 2 doors which limits passeger space. Also tires are hellified expensive and it requires premium fuel.

HD f-150 has more passenger space and a nicer interior but they are even worst on gas than the L and also require premium.

The Fx4 can be driven in bad weather, has plenty of passenger space, better interior, can use regular fuel and gets better mileage. :read:

M3xpress

Established Member
You should go with the FX4, have something with a nice interior and could deal with funky weather. It will also be something you won't be as tempted to dump more money into as a DD.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
I love DD my HD. Gets 15 in city, supercharger whine, power everything, heated seats, seats 4 very comfortably. I got mine with 62000 miles on it stock with new brakes and new tires for 15k. I had a 6k down payment so I only owed 9k when I got it.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I daily drove my lightning for 3 years in CT, after the first year I purchased a cheap set of 16" steelies and some M/S tires off of a member from another board, with those on and some weight in the back it wasn't terrible in the winter weather.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I voted other.

I couldnt justify DD'ing any of those simply due to fuel mpg.

BUT, if you are fine with the mpg's then get a Fx4 and later throw some FI towards it for more power. HD>lightning b/c of the extra cabin room too.

Users who are viewing this thread