Help me keep my sn95

1bdsnk96

Established Member
hey guys i keep on thinking of getting rid of my sn95 cobra due to the fact that i am not an expert on modular motors and i been wanting to do my engine my self, i keep on getting these ideas in my head of getting an ls1 or foxbody since they seem a little more easier to tear apart and rebuild. Well i guess what im asking is how hard would it be to build my engine myself or should i just get a fox or ls1??? :shrug:

98fourvalve

Established Member
Believe it or not they arent too hard to build. is it the chains that are getting you? Years ago I felt the same but it's pretty easy once you realize what exactly you need to do. If you can build a pushrod. You can build a modular too.

First thing I would do is search for the pdf file of how to build modulars and how the timing etc goes. I'll see if i can find it and get it for you.

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
dont go with a fox youd be downgrading big time if it wasnt already h/c/i think about it fox's are a dime a dozen u can get one anytime cob's are a lil more rare not to mention worth much more. no ls1 either then you'd be a traitor lol

svtcobralover

Established Member
Id hate to say it but if you want to go fast and be all motor Id get a LS1. H/C/I and you are over 400rwhp and if you need more spray it and than you are over 500rwhp.

mark23svt

Established Member
I used to have a 98 cobra which I sold to get my current one 94. My 98 was faster with gears and boltons but for what I want for the car my best bet was a 5.0. I wanted that great cam sound with a 347 or 331 stroker and a mild super charger. But I still want another 4valve down the road beside my 94 (03 hopefully or 98 bab).

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
just sell the cobra motor and put an LS1 in the cobra. Best of both worlds. After driving an SN95 there is no way I could go back to an Fbody, its just not that nice of a car inside. The only gain is that it seems to have more leg room.

SVT Pille

Established Member
I miss my LS1 a whole lot but only because of what it had under the hood. Great engine but F-body's are built and handle like crap!

Best bet would be a 94/95 Cobra IMO. I picked mine up with 79k for 7 grand including tax/reg and its an absolute peach. Cheap to fix, cheap to build, everything is simple and easy to get at.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I don't blame you... I have my 98 almost done and I'm debating putting up for trade for something thats a bit more friendly to work on.

I miss turning wrenches on my ol' 302.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
These aren't difficult to work on. What exactly makes you uncomfortable?

And guys this is my weekend warrior.

Then I would get a LSx car. Superior engine and much cheaper to make big power.

I kind of wish I had sold mine and bought a Vette' instead of spending a fortune on it. Oh well though, can't go back now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread